• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It appears to me that the real purpose of this thread is to be an online church pulpit in order to proselytize and preach Christianity.
Which is a pity. If he actually understood the Bible, especially the New Testament, he would see that his beliefs are blasphemous. Religions are faith based beliefs. The New Testament makes it quite clear that no individual believer will know whether he is saved or not. In fact it implies that those that think that they are saved will be the least likely to be saved. Religion is supposed to be faith based which actually means that one never knows for sure One hopes that one is saved. And from personal experience I have found that the least Christian of Christians are those that follow the "Once saved always saved" heresy. Perhaps once in their life they had a spiritual even of some sort. Many people have had them. I have had one. And they conflate that with "being saved". I would argue that is not the case. One felt something. I will not deny that, but it was probably misinterpreted. Their actions are almost always show they they are far from saved.

The Bible is fraught with contradictions,
Please show the one you think is the greatest contradiction in the Bible?
Some of the OT prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus, but NONE of the messianic age prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus, and they never will be fulfilled by Jesus since Jesus is never coming back to this world.
According to the Bible, Jesus will come back the same way people saw him leaving. "see me no more" is not the same as "no one will see me again".

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The Holy Bible has been the worlds best selling book, in every generation since the printing press was invented many centuries ago.

Many Historians have studied the 66 books of the Bible, and compared them to secular contemporaries, to see if they could find any contradiction or errors. Most of those who set out to find faults with the Bible, became devout Christians instead. Because they found no faults of contradictions.

It's no different today, many sceptics set out to debunk the Bible and end up becoming believers instead. The vast majority converted to Christianity after finding that all 66 books are reliable, historical documents.

The 66 books of the Bible were written by 36 unrelated authors from various parts of the world over a period of 2,500 years, yet none of the accounts contradict each other. But the main reason so many became believers is due to the 356 prophecies which were fulfilled in Jesus Christ. The whole Bible is about Jesus Christ. God's Prophets foretold of His coming into the world thousands of years before He came.

There is a list in the link, showing every one of the 356 prophecies and their fulfilment. This is well worth a look, as it provides irrefutable evidence that the Bible is a reliable historical document. No other historical figure ever came close to changing the world forever as Jesus Christ did.

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions?

I don't care for The Holy Bible one way or another. I am indifferent to that book and all the versions of God that some peope attach to it.
I believe differently in effect.

Originally there were over 200 books that were used to teach from, but in 325 there started a series of ecumenical coucels that would decide what the Bible is. They voted on what would be included and what would be discarded. Of over 200 books only 66, or 72, books made the final cut. How do you feel about men doing this massive culling of holy texts?

There was no culling of holy texts, that's a lie. The texts which were not included were found to be non scripture, in other words "Not Inspired by God". The books you refer to are "extra scriptura", they are not considered to have any authority by the Church.

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions?

I don't care for The Holy Bible one way or another. I am indifferent to that book and all the versions of God that some peope attach to it.
I believe differently in effect.
What a wonderful philosophy you have there. I'm curious to know how if you personally crafted it or was it taught to you by another

Interesting that you do not reveal the earthly name of said church.
As though your claimed church is a sore spot, even amongst you elect...
There is only One Church to speak of, it's the One God chose and wrote the names of it's members in His book before He created the world. I'm sure you understand that, is plain and simple. No magic involved

So it is the "The Church" denomination...

Got it.
A Denominations denotes a variation, The Church has no denominations. They are man made religions which have no relation to the One true Church. Regardless of what they claim, God doesn't share His Glory with any popes or big wigs

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
A Denominations denotes a variation, The Church has no denominations. They are man made religions which have no relation to the One true Church. Regardless of what they claim, God doesn't share His Glory with any popes or big wigs
Does this mean you have a copy of his list of elect?
I mean, how else would you be able to know that there are no popes or big wigs on it?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Which is a pity.

Yes, I agree. I think it is contributing to the ruin of this forum, along with the rest of the proselytizing and preaching of Christianity in other threads.

If he actually understood the Bible, especially the New Testament, he would see that his beliefs are blasphemous. Religions are faith based beliefs. The New Testament makes it quite clear that no individual believer will know whether he is saved or not. In fact it implies that those that think that they are saved will be the least likely to be saved. Religion is supposed to be faith based which actually means that one never knows for sure One hopes that one is saved. And from personal experience I have found that the least Christian of Christians are those that follow the "Once saved always saved" heresy. Perhaps once in their life they had a spiritual even of some sort. Many people have had them. I have had one. And they conflate that with "being saved". I would argue that is not the case. One felt something. I will not deny that, but it was probably misinterpreted. Their actions are almost always show they they are far from saved.

I'm reposting what I wrote on a similar topic because I think it reinforces what you wrote in your post.

The truth is that Christianity has many conflicting beliefs that contradict one another, such as conditional salvation vs. unconditional salvation, the proper baptism (sprinkled with water vs. fully immersed), female pastors, and the "end-times" (the rapture, pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, and post-tribulation).

Many Christians have the perpetual habit of accusing other Christians of not being "true Christians," and this accusation is as old as Christianity itself (read 1 Corinthians 1:10–17). The problem I have with Christians accusing other Christians of not being true followers of Jesus is that they can never agree on what the Bible truly says, and they constantly argue, insult, and fight one another about what they believe the Bible teaches. The truth is that if you ask the same theological question to a broad group of Christians, you will receive very different answers. All of these Christians will cite the Bible in an attempt to defend their answers, even though their answers are very different and contradictory. I think that it is also worth noting that they don't agree on whether salvation in Jesus Christ is unconditional or not, although they all read the Bible. They have diverse biblical interpretations and church doctrines about salvation, which is defined as Calvinism vs. Arminianism (unconditional salvation vs. conditional salvation). Some Christians claim that a person's salvation is conditional, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. Some Christians claim that a person's salvation is unconditional, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. Other Christians claim that baptism or speaking in tongues is essential for salvation, and they will provide a few scriptures that they believe support their position. They contradict each other, but they all believe they are right.

Questions about how to properly baptize believers (fully immersed in water or sprinkled with water), whether it is biblical for women to be pastors, and about the alleged end times (pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, post-tribulation, and the rapture of Christians) would elicit the same kind of derision among Christians. There are also churches claiming to be the "true church, which implies that Christians in other churches are wrong in their theology and biblical interpretation. They even argue and debate about whether Jesus' mother remained a virgin after giving birth to him or if she had other children after him.

The truth is that Christians are deeply divided, with different churches subscribing to diverse beliefs and readings of the Bible that have emerged in both historical and modern Christianity. Catholics and Protestants have different doctrines, dogmas, and interpretations of the Bible. So do Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Messianic Jews, and Orthodox Christians, which include Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, and Greek Orthodox. There are also Baptists (First Baptist, Second Baptist, Southern Baptist, Reformed Baptist, Primitive Baptist, Anabaptist, Freewill Baptist, and others), Methodists, Mennonites, Seventh-day Adventists, Assemblies of God, Quakers, Anglicans, Nazarenes, and a plethora of other Christian churches that aren't listed here.

Ironically, Christians all believe that they are correct about their beliefs and everyone else (including other Christians) is wrong about theirs, but then they have the audacity to claim that the Bible is the word of God and Christianity is the only true religion in the world. In my opinion, there's no reason to believe any of them. I think it's unreasonable for any Christian to claim that their biblical interpretation and theology are correct while insisting that other Christians are wrong, that the Bible is divinely inspired, and that Christianity is the only true religion in the world. It is also irrational, in my opinion, that Christians expect non-Christians to accept the Bible as divinely inspired and the final authority on moral issues, yet they can't agree on what the Bible says.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What a wonderful philosophy you have there. I'm curious to know how if you personally crafted it or was it taught to you by another

Well, it is my combination of different aspects of different philosophies, but I don't I have ever had a thought not allready held by someone else. I am not that special.

F1fan

Veteran Member
There was no culling of holy texts, that's a lie.
Sorry, the Ecumenical Counsels is a fact of history. They voted to decide what the Bible would be as a set collection, and all others rejected, most destroyed.
The texts which were not included were found to be non scripture,
Wait, you just denied it happened.
in other words "Not Inspired by God". The books you refer to are "extra scriptura", they are not considered to have any authority by the Church.
Yeah, they decided what was to be included, and throw out the rest. The story about how Revelations made it in the final cut is interesting. It came down to some bishops trading votes for favored books. Not exactly a rigid system that ONLY assessed "inspired by God", whatever that meant. It's funny that mere mortals can decide what is inspired by God and what isn't, as if they are Gods themselves.

Of course the whole motivation was to create one source for Christians so there can be a consistent dogma to teach, and legalize Christianity and unify all the little sects that existed under the rulke of Constantine. Arguably this was political, to create stability.

firedragon

Veteran Member
There was no culling of holy texts, that's a lie. The texts which were not included were found to be non scripture, in other words "Not Inspired by God". The books you refer to are "extra scriptura", they are not considered to have any authority by the Church.
Do you consider the Epistle of Barnabas "extra scriptura" (That's actually a made up sentence I think because the word extra is not latin in my opinion)?