• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous, or favorite quotes.

ajay0

Mind without agitation is meditation. Mind in the present moment is meditation. Mind that has no hesitation, no anticipation is meditation. Mind that has come back home, to the source, is meditation. Mind that becomes no mind is meditation. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Meditation is the only way you can transcend the negative thoughts, and then positive thoughts will come spontaneously & automatically. ~Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

The goal of education is to increase awareness not information. Watching our inner-responses, knowing that they are there, increases our self-awareness. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Mind without agitation is meditation. Mind in the present moment is meditation. Mind that has no hesitation, no anticipation is meditation. Mind that has come back home, to the source, is meditation. Mind that becomes no mind is meditation. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
Nice, and also, it would serve equally well if meditation was replaced by meditative or "a meditative mind". Namaste.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
“You are a child of God. Though gold be covered with mud for centuries, it remains gold. So the pure 'gold' of the soul can be covered over with the mud of delusion for aeons, but in its true nature it remains forever undefiled.” - Paramhansa Yogananda

“A saint is a sinner who never gave up.” - Paramhansa Yogananda

“The greatest sin is to call oneself a sinner,” - Paramhansa Yogananda

ajay0

The pollution of the planet is only an outward reflection of an inner psychic pollution: millions of unconscious individuals not taking responsibility for their inner space.”~ Eckhart Tolle

I don’t want to tell anyone how much water they should use or shouldn’t use. But whatever you do – make it as conscious as possible. If you become conscious, you will only use as much as you need to. This will make a world of difference. Right now, we are behaving as if we’re the last generation on the planet. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

When you live consciously, your response to situation that arise will be agile and appropriate. ~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

ajay0

There is one thing that can erase the karma that is awareness. Knowledge. Self-awareness, if you are aware of yourself, if you are in total love, then you are free from karma. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Awareness has the strength to dissolve and destroy any karma. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

If you just live totally, you will dissolve lots of karma. Living totally means that you experience anything that comes fully and intensely.~ Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

ajay0

Intuition means having the right thought at the right moment.’ ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

'Our consciousness itself is Shaastra (scripture), so if we listen to our consciousness, our intuition, we will function in accord with nature.'~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

ajay0

Compassion is all inclusive. Compassion knows no boundaries. Compassion comes with awareness, and awareness breaks all narrow territories.~ Amit Ray

All countries in this world are territories of evil. ~ Sri Rama ( Yoga Vasistha)

When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Kindness and awareness work together. Through awareness we understand the underlying beauty of everything and every being. ~ Amit Ray

ajay0

Ignoring the mind is a beautiful sadhana.This is what many of the sages did. They ignored the mind out of existence. It loses its influence and its potency when it is ignored. ~ Mooji

While doing sadhana you must quieten your mind and keep awake the purusha consciousness behind all your activities. ~ Aurobindo

True sadhana is to be calm, contented and rested. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Who am I? With this attitude endeavor to let the mind stand back as a witness. Search after your Self. As long as possible, sit immersed in meditation, becoming quite still, steady and fully concentrated. ~ Anandamayi Ma

ajay0

“Life is waiting for you to smile. Our body has the capacity to sustain the vibrations of bliss and peace much longer than negative emotions. That is because positivity is in the centre of our existence.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

I tell you, deep inside you is a fountain of bliss, a fountain of joy. Deep inside your center core is truth, light, love, there is no guilt there, there is no fear there. Psychologists have never looked deep enough.– Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Yogis are not against pleasure. It is just that they found something much more intense and enduring within themselves. - Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Nearly all mankind is more or less unhappy because nearly all do not know the true Self. Real happiness abides in Self-knowledge alone. All else is fleeting. To know one’s Self is to be blissful always. - Ramana Maharshi

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

“Life is waiting for you to smile. Our body has the capacity to sustain the vibrations of bliss and peace much longer than negative emotions. That is because positivity is in the centre of our existence.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

I tell you, deep inside you is a fountain of bliss, a fountain of joy. Deep inside your center core is truth, light, love, there is no guilt there, there is no fear there. Psychologists have never looked deep enough.– Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Yogis are not against pleasure. It is just that they found something much more intense and enduring within themselves. - Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Nearly all mankind is more or less unhappy because nearly all do not know the true Self. Real happiness abides in Self-knowledge alone. All else is fleeting. To know one’s Self is to be blissful always. - Ramana Maharshi

I liked the Ravi Shankar quote. Is this the well-known musician, or someone else?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This Ravi Shankar is different. He is called Shri Shri Ravi Shankar for some reason.
Like Sadhguru, he is a celebrity religious leader, popular among the elite.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, we have a long list of musical gurus. Hari Das, Tulsi Das, Kabir Das, Mirabai, Guru Nanak, Eknath, Namdev, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, the Nayanars and Azhwars, and many others. Actually, for common masses, what they sang are the scriptures and not Vedas and Puranas.

ajay0

A mountain is composed of tiny grains of earth. The ocean is made up of tiny drops of water. Even so, life is but an endless series of little details, actions, speeches, and thoughts. ~ Swami Sivananda

Do not ignore the effect of right action saying, "This will come to nothing." Just as by the gradual fall of raindrops the water jar is filled, so in time the wise become replete with good.~ Buddha, Dhammapada Verse 122

'The transformation, though overnight, was never an overnight process. In Chemistry classes we do the acid-base titration experiments. The final drop from the pipette changes the colour of the solution in the beaker. But were not the earlier drops significant? Similarly, righteous living all through life purified me and enabled the overnight transformation.' ~ Rajini Menon

Great occasions rouse even the lowest of human beings to some kind of greatness, but he alone is the really great man whose character is great always, the same wherever he be. ~ Swami Vivekananda

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Well, we have a long list of musical gurus. Hari Das, Tulsi Das, Kabir Das, Mirabai, Guru Nanak, Eknath, Namdev, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, the Nayanars and Azhwars, and many others. Actually, for common masses, what they sang are the scriptures and not Vedas and Puranas.

Just adding Tukaram to your list - and Winner post.

So not the musician. That's a shame, I rather liked the idea of a musical guru!

Surprise for you, Shri Shri is all-in-one -- not only is he a great spiritual master, humanitarian, Padma-bhUshan award winner, his love for Indian classical music coming from his family has made him integrate it into his organization. So you can call him a musician.

Under the leadership of Shri Shri Ravi Shankar, 2750+ classical singers trained by the Art of Living (his organization) produced the synchronized 'antarnaad' (universal sound or inner sound) year after year, letting the soul soar high. Please watch and listen, and in some of these , the Guruji himself joins in the singing.

Madhava MadhusUdanA @ Antarnaad Feb 2010 Pune
@6:50 onwards Shri Shri encourages audience to join, and himself does

KRshNam vande ParamAnandaM vande-aham
Shri Shri starts singing @ 3:00 or 3:05

Hari Sundara Nanda MukundA driving yogis nuts

Jai Jai Shiva Shambho

Top KRshNa bhajans by Art of Living

Gopala Gopala .. Devakinandana sundara VeNu GopAlA - Rushi Nityapragya - the leader's immediate disciple is a bhAvpUrNa singer
(many bhajans in the Top bhajans CD above, are in his voice, and all are composed by and sung by Art of Living members/disciples)

Enjoy

---
P.S. So are many Gurus by the way -- and in Bhakti marg especially --
*Mrudul Krishna Goswamiji - comes from the Haridasi VaishNav sampraday of which the famous Haridas-disciple Tansen (who made it rain by music) and his melodious bhajans as part of BhAgvat saptAh (numerous - aired on TV channels) induces such bhAv in any listener, and now his son Gaurav Krishna Goswami is doing the same.

* All Vitthal lovers - as listed in post #54, *many of which pointed to advaita, including modern Gurus like Nisargadatta Maharaj and Balsekar

* Many young Bhagvat Kathakars like Jaya Kishori, and many others

* As you know kirtan is integral part and parcel of most VaishNav sampraday

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I do not need his 'art of living' at the age when I have already completed nearly all my living. He is not my type of person.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I do not need his 'art of living' at the age when I have already completed nearly all my life's journey and have arrived at my destination. I am now just relaxing there (at my destination with no mountains to climb). He is not my type of person. I do not go after celebrity Godmen.
Just adding Tukaram to your list - and Winner post.
You are most welcome, AmeyAtma. My homage to Saint Tukaram.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Surprise for you, Shri Shri is all-in-one -- not only is he a great spiritual master, humanitarian, Padma-bhUshan award winner, his love for Indian classical music coming from his family has made him integrate it into his organization. So you can call him a musician.

I think @Martin was referring to this Ravi Shankar, who is better known in the West for his classical sitar music.

Ravi Shankar - Wikipedia

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
DISCLAIMER: That collection above was an answer to @Martin , since he asked about 'the musical Guru' and 'the ambiguity of the 2 Ravi Shankars'. I am not promoting any Guru, organization, nor do I belong to any of them. Just a silent witness, can't help but appreciate.

I think @Martin was referring to this Ravi Shankar, who is better known in the West for his classical sitar music.

Ravi Shankar - Wikipedia
Of Course, I know that :relaxed: since childhood.
Familiar with his sitar, and now his daughter is good at it too.

What I am saying is, in response to Martin's post
So not the musician
Ravi Shankar, a different Ravi Shankar, that's a shame. I'd rather like a musical Guru

To that my response was -- well, this Ravi Shankar is also very musical, and has made a joyful impact through his trained classical singing disciples [In India sending kids to Indian classical music training is common, and most of these were already classical singers I believe].
See the effect of antarnaad.
It is backed by spiritual yoga , while the Sitar vadak Ravi Shankar is well - a sitar prodigy.
See my point? and look at the P.S. where someone may argue so what? Many dhArmic sampraday (especially VaishNav ones) are musical.

Well , of course yes, but regarding the 2 Ravi Shankars,

the spiritual one has interwined the joy of bhajan to the Divine through systematic classical orchestra and made that happen through his organization alongside the teaching of Sudarshan kriya.
The disciples do not just sit and listen. They are not even lay singers, they do the sangeet shAstra abhyAs.

VedAnAm sAma vedomsi - says KRshNa in Bhagavad Geeta Chapter 10.
Of the vedas I am the sAma veda

SAma veda is the musical version of Rg veda and introduces the 7 notes sa re ga ma pa dha ni to the world.

Sorry @ajay0, @Vinayaka , did not want to be the one derailing your nice thread, but just had to bring this here.

Last edited: