• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday the 13th - A lucky day for pagans.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
325407401_560777342347893_6912966370442589833_n.jpg

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
While by no means is it an ancient practice, this is something I observe as well; as Friday is Frigg/Freyja's day (I regard them as the same deity), and Frigg is known by 13 names (commonly depicted as her handmaidens, but older than that her names under numerous provinces)

Hildeburh

No, it's a non event for pagans. How could it be related to paganism? Pagans didn't follow the Julian or Gregorian calendar so how could a random date in a Christian calendar impact our lore?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To add something to the conversation, contemporary Paganism is in many ways a countercultural religious movement in the West. It includes many diverse movements within its auspices, with Wicca and Witchcraft being among the most popular. Witchcraft in particular can be about embracing one's personal power in the face of adversity or dominating cultural forces. Our mainstream cultural narrative tells us Friday the 13th is inauspicious. It would be in keeping with the spirit of Witchcraft to reclaim such taboos and utilize them for its own powerful aims as an act of counterculture and rebellion, so to speak. This is done with all sorts of other taboo things as well, ranging from black cats to practicing magick just in general. So I can see the connection, if we look at this from a broader cultural perspective.

Personally, I don't pay much if any attention to any date whose significance depends on a human-constructed calendar system. Friday the 13th definitely falls under that category. An equivalent non-constructed date would be times of eclipses, which are also full of inauspicious taboos in culture worldwide. Nah, those can be moments of power for practitioners of Witchcraft.

Hildeburh

I think it depends on the "pagan" and how one defines the terms (for instance, see post #2).
One assume pagan = non abrahamic. As Friday 13th is considered to be unlucky due to Christian lore I can't see how it relates to pagans.

I did see post #2 which relates to the number 13 not to Friday the 13th plus also according to Snorri Frigga didn't have any bynames but it is believed he may have taken a few of her names and made them different goddesses, we will never know for sure.