• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How To Put EV Tech Into Trucks

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This video is from a Canuckistanian company that's
designing a hybrid diesel electric heavy truck.
I like their approach to engineering design. It's so
much better than Tesla's, which makes trucks that are
heavy, have very limited range, poor serviceability, &
too many proprietary parts.

It's a long watch, but if you're a
gearhead, it'll be worth your time.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This video is from a Canuckistanian company that's
designing a hybrid diesel electric heavy truck.
I like their approach to engineering design. It's so
much better than Tesla's, which makes trucks that are
heavy, have very limited range, poor serviceability, &
too many proprietary parts.

It's a long watch, but if you're a
gearhead, it'll be worth your time.
It's how trains work. It's the way it should be. If they did that with cars I'd have no issues with evs.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's how trains work. It's the way it should be. If they did that with cars I'd have no issues with evs.
Except then they wouldn't be EV's. These trucks do not sound like EVs either. Just an improvement over regular diesel. For well over 90% of commuters EV's already are good enough. It is only reluctance to switch over. You only resist because of politics.

Twilight Hue

Except then they wouldn't be EV's. These trucks do not sound like EVs either. Just an improvement over regular diesel. For well over 90% of commuters EV's already are good enough. It is only reluctance to switch over. You only resist because of politics.
I only resist because evs with batteries are garbage .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Evolution, not revolution.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have watched most of the video and I am impressed. I like a lot of what they did. It isn't pretty, but it more than makes up for that with ease of maintenance.
I don't expect Canada to have overhead power lines in the near future, but we have them in first field tests in Germany for buses. Put a connector on the roof, and you can get electricity on parts of the Autobahn from above.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
My hesitance is the expense.
My place does not have the proper electrical service (whatever that actually means) to safely charge one.
Which means i would have to charge it at the nearest charging port thing.
That happens to be 12.3 miles away.
At a toll road plaza.
The next closest is 36.2 miles away.

Twilight Hue

I don't expect Canada to have overhead power lines in the near future, but we have them in first field tests in Germany for buses. Put a connector on the roof, and you can get electricity on parts of the Autobahn from above.
That's probably good for major straight routes, but certainly not for going to your relatives house in the sticks or that cabin in the woods.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That's probably good for major straight routes, but certainly not for going to your relatives house in the sticks or that cabin in the woods.
It's only good and planned for on a city-near Autobahn. But Germany has a big, densely populated sprawl in the Ruhrgebiet where it one day may become useful.

PureX

Veteran Member
Also, there is a huge and intense media campaign trying to kill the EV changeover.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My hesitance is the expense.
My place does not have the proper electrical service (whatever that actually means) to safely charge one.
Which means i would have to charge it at the nearest charging port thing.
That happens to be 12.3 miles away.
At a toll road plaza.
The next closest is 36.2 miles away.
These trucks needn't be charged externally.
But that's an option to the user.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Many millions of people in countries with good electrical grids could use EVs for transportation very easily with minimal or even no necessary infrastructure changes. And these vehicles could very easily be designed to pull a small gas powered generator behind them to convert them to a hybrid for longer distance travel. These vehicles could also be produced for far less cost than current ICEVs as they are a far simpler machine overall.

But we can't do things based on the value of the idea. We have to do everything based on the profitability to the wealthy elites that control everything. And that means some huge corporate players are not going to want this change. The oil companies, for one. And the many industries involved in producing ICEs and the many related parts for another.