• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ideas and experiences in trying to help make online discussions more beneficial for everyone

Niatero

*banned*
This topic came up in the thread Marketability of Your Religion Based On Your RF Contributions, and I wanted to have a new thread specifically for people to share their ideas and experiences. I'll list some ideas from the other thread. (edited to add the following) These ideas are not all mine. I wasn't the only one posting ideas. (end edit)
- Try to be fair and balanced.
- Try to express myself well enough for readers to be inspired to investigate and think for themselves.
- Try to be balanced, non-aggressive and inclusive.
- Try to keep my feelings and intentions towards everyone friendly, and resist unfriendly impulses, post friendly comments and questions, resist temptations to use other people's posts only as platforms for promoting my own views.
- Avoid the sub-forums titled with 'debates.' :)
- Try to be cheerful.
- Don't try breaking through people's defenses.
- Don't respond in any way at all to anything that looks like heckling. (unless it looks like it's all in good fun)
- Apologize for unfriendly posts.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
This topic came up in the thread Marketability of Your Religion Based On Your RF Contributions, and I wanted to have a new thread specifically for people to share their ideas and experiences. I'll list some ideas from the other thread.
- Try to express myself well enough for readers to be inspired to investigate and think for themselves.
- Try to keep my feelings and intentions towards everyone friendly, and resist unfriendly impulses, post friendly comments and questions, resist temptations to use other people's posts only as platforms for promoting my own views.
- Try to be cheerful.
- Don't respond in any way at all to anything that looks like heckling. (unless it looks like it's all in good fun)
- hold hands and sing Kumbayah
Some of your ideas are very good, and I try to follow them. Others are just naïve.
Nothing is gained in an environment where nothing challenges your opinions. When they are wrong, nobody will tell you, so you'll hold on to them. I want people to tell me when I'm talking bull****, and I don't mind them being clear and precise.
And I hold mostly to the Golden Rule when posting, less to the Platinum Rule.
I consider it condescending or at least indifferent to not correct someone who has wrong information.

To add to your list in that spirit, I propose:
- when in doubt, be truthful instead of courteous
- cite facts and cite the sources
- when shown to be wrong, admit it and go on
- don't be condescending by holding back, your interlocutor deserves your best responses, when they are wrong, tell them, and show them
- don't feed the trolls

Niatero

*banned*
Some of your ideas are very good, and I try to follow them.
Some of them are not mine. (not saying which ones :D) I wasn't the only one posting ideas.
To add to your list in that spirit, I propose:
- when in doubt, be truthful instead of courteous
- cite facts and cite the sources
- when shown to be wrong, admit it and go on
- don't be condescending by holding back, your interlocutor deserves your best responses, when they are wrong, tell them, and show them
- don't feed the trolls
Thanks.

Belacqua

This topic came up in the thread Marketability of Your Religion Based On Your RF Contributions, and I wanted to have a new thread specifically for people to share their ideas and experiences. I'll list some ideas from the other thread. (edited to add the following) These ideas are not all mine. I wasn't the only one posting ideas. (end edit)
- Try to be cheerful.

The late Daniel Dennett wrote four rules that I like a lot. Maybe not the letter every time, but certainly the spirit.

Here they are:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.
The first one seems most important to me. I don't know how many times people have replied to me with a wildly distorted version of what I've been saying. Whether it's poor comprehension, or an intentional attempt to straw man me, it shuts down serious discussion.

Niatero

*banned*
The late Daniel Dennett wrote four rules that I like a lot. Maybe not the letter every time, but certainly the spirit.

Here they are:

The first one seems most important to me. I don't know how many times people have replied to me with a wildly distorted version of what I've been saying. Whether it's poor comprehension, or an intentional attempt to straw man me, it shuts down serious discussion.
I like that, except for calling the conversation partner the "target."