• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is prostitution natural?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it natural for some people to engage in prostitution at some time in their lives? It seems that prostitution is extremely wide-spread across different cultures and societies. Is its ubiquitousness evidence that it is a natural reproductive strategy for our species? Or is there something unnatural about prostitution? What do you think?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I agree with the statement by Lightkeeper, that sex is natural. As for prostitution, all I can tell you is that I had to quit the business after two months. I wasn't making enough money to pay for my Mercedes Benz. :(

Who am I kidding? - I wasn't making enough money to pay for my lunch. :eek:

Heck, let's just cut to the chase - I was spending more on prostitution than I was taking in. :)

TVOR

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think, Voice, that you did your part to prove that prostitution is unnatural in some cases.

More seriously, looking at prostitution from a purely biological standpoint, doesn't the wide spread nature of it seem to indicate that there might be an evolutionary reason why it arose? Or is prostitution purely a social construct?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
In all seriousness, I would say that prostitution is purely a societal development. The economic law of "supply and demand" comes to mind.

TVOR

Pah

Uber all member
Sex is sometimes a commodity and prostitution is the vehicle that delivers it.

Bob

On a deeper level, I'm not sure it is possible for us to do anything that isn't "natural". We are natural beings after all whose behavior is dictated by natural laws just like any other species.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Mating and who does it with who are natual parts of most social species hierarchy. Females mate with more powerful/dominate males and males try to impress females to get a mate.
In the Hamadryas baboon the males rank is determined by how many Ladies he pampers. The nicer he is to the girls (especally the high ranking ones) the higher his rank in the group. Thus males spend much of thier time grooming and cuddling with as many girls as they can.
If a female feels she is not being payed enough attention she will find a male that does pay attention to her and let herself be 'stolen' by the new male and join his group.
Thus females use the promice of sex in the future to get males to be nice to them in the present.
This could be construed (in both sexes) as a loose form of prostitution. :cool:

wa:do

john313

warrior-poet
Most sex can be considered prostitution depending on how you look at it. If I go to the bar and buy a beer for a gal and sleep with her that night, then is that considered prostitution? I spent money and got sex in return. If I go out with a gal and pay for dinner and a movie then get sex, is that prostitution? I will likely have to buy her dinner again if I want more sex.:sarcastic

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
john313 said:
Most sex can be considered prostitution depending on how you look at it. If I go to the bar and buy a beer for a gal and sleep with her that night, then is that considered prostitution? I spent money and got sex in return. If I go out with a gal and pay for dinner and a movie then get sex, is that prostitution? I will likely have to buy her dinner again if I want more sex.:sarcastic
Ah, but you see in this case you have no gaurantee that you will get sex for your money, whereas if you just went out and gave the same money to a prostitute you would.
As a wise man once said,'One way or another you're paying for it, but there's only one way to be sure you're getting what you've paid for.'

jewscout

Religious Zionist
The Voice of Reason said:
In all seriousness, I would say that prostitution is purely a societal development. The economic law of "supply and demand" comes to mind.

TVOR
I agree TVOR...I think it's only as natural in as much as economics can be natural. Prostitution is probably one of the oldest trades on earth.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Sunstone writes: Is it natural for some people to engage in prostitution at some time in their lives?

Though I do not know where you can apply for this position (pun has been intended), if you enjoy sex enough where you can turn it into opportunity I cannot see why you shouldn’t get paid for something that you enjoy doing. Be prepared though, I hear it is hard work.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I was at work one day (I ran a Goodyear in Daytona, Florida) when this emaciated creature came in and offered herself. I shooed her away, but as she left I saw the tatoo on her ankle.

Now Donna was one of the rebellious girls in my high school... and she was mighty proud of the martini glass she had tattooed on her ankle. She had tattoes elswhere that a couple of boys had claimed to see, but few of us believed them.

So I called her name, and this shell of a woman turned with the most quizzical look in her eye. "How do you know me?" was her shocked query. I mentioned High School and immediately she recognised who I was. We talked for a while and I asked her to stop by after and we would do dinner- on me.

So work was over and she came walking up... short, short skirt, skimpy top and was still quite pretty. We went to dinner at a place nearby. Dinner was eiree as many eating there kept eyeing Donna. To make matters worse she stuck a little too close during the entire time we were in there. When we got back to the car I asked where I should drop her. Without going into details she made it crystal clear that she wanted to "give me some" to pay back for dinner. I was hurt and shocked. My sincere desire to catch up with a friend was seen as something crude. I gave her a twenty and left her on the corner where she wanted to be. My drive home was full of questions unanswered. My heart was hurting for her.

But there were a few things that really stuck out...

1) Someone who was a clean freak in HS was grimey and dirty.
2) Someone who was smart was living on the street.
3) The drugs and sex had added years to her life. It's why I didn't recognise her at first.
4) Prostitution is NOT natural. It's a trap.

A few years later I saw Donna in Orlando... trying to find a "date". I couldn't imagine anyone finding her desireable at this point. I pulled over and picked her up. She recognised me but couldn't remember my name. I invited her to come to church with me, or to drive her anywhere she wanted. She cursed at me and told me to pull over. I gave her EVERYTHING I had in my wallet. She grabbed it and walked off. As I pulled away a police car pulled me over. They wanted to know what I was doing with a "known prostitute". Yes, I was a tad defensive, and probably quite rude to the cop. In the end, I was trying to find out what I could do for my friend. They offered me nothing. I haven't seen her since.

I know we like to debate "theory", but the reality of prostitution is hell. The girls are usually not well fed, deseased and most of their money goes to abusive relationships. The incidence of murder and assault on these women is incredibly high as are communicable deseases. In my most humble opinion, I can only conclude that prostitution (for the guy or the girl, the pro or the mark) is ANYTHING but natural. It goes against all of my senses to even think about it.

Donna, I sincrely hope you found a way out.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Great story, NetDoc. I tried to frubal it, but I get the "Spread it around" message. I hope that your friend finds peace and self-worth - they will be her salvation from that lifestyle. If she can find "God" in any form, and it helps her overcome her plight, more power to her.

You're a good man NetDoc.

TVOR

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I am afraid that if she didn't change her path that year, that she is probably not with us anymore. Maybe even that month... she looked very ill.

Lightkeeper

NetDoc said:
I was at work one day (I ran a Goodyear in Daytona, Florida) when this emaciated creature came in and offered herself. I shooed her away, but as she left I saw the tatoo on her ankle.

Now Donna was one of the rebellious girls in my high school... and she was mighty proud of the martini glass she had tattooed on her ankle. She had tattoes elswhere that a couple of boys had claimed to see, but few of us believed them.

So I called her name, and this shell of a woman turned with the most quizzical look in her eye. "How do you know me?" was her shocked query. I mentioned High School and immediately she recognised who I was. We talked for a while and I asked her to stop by after and we would do dinner- on me.

So work was over and she came walking up... short, short skirt, skimpy top and was still quite pretty. We went to dinner at a place nearby. Dinner was eiree as many eating there kept eyeing Donna. To make matters worse she stuck a little too close during the entire time we were in there. When we got back to the car I asked where I should drop her. Without going into details she made it crystal clear that she wanted to "give me some" to pay back for dinner. I was hurt and shocked. My sincere desire to catch up with a friend was seen as something crude. I gave her a twenty and left her on the corner where she wanted to be. My drive home was full of questions unanswered. My heart was hurting for her.

But there were a few things that really stuck out...

1) Someone who was a clean freak in HS was grimey and dirty.
2) Someone who was smart was living on the street.
3) The drugs and sex had added years to her life. It's why I didn't recognise her at first.
4) Prostitution is NOT natural. It's a trap.

A few years later I saw Donna in Orlando... trying to find a "date". I couldn't imagine anyone finding her desireable at this point. I pulled over and picked her up. She recognised me but couldn't remember my name. I invited her to come to church with me, or to drive her anywhere she wanted. She cursed at me and told me to pull over. I gave her EVERYTHING I had in my wallet. She grabbed it and walked off. As I pulled away a police car pulled me over. They wanted to know what I was doing with a "known prostitute". Yes, I was a tad defensive, and probably quite rude to the cop. In the end, I was trying to find out what I could do for my friend. They offered me nothing. I haven't seen her since.

I know we like to debate "theory", but the reality of prostitution is hell. The girls are usually not well fed, deseased and most of their money goes to abusive relationships. The incidence of murder and assault on these women is incredibly high as are communicable deseases. In my most humble opinion, I can only conclude that prostitution (for the guy or the girl, the pro or the mark) is ANYTHING but natural. It goes against all of my senses to even think about it.

Donna, I sincrely hope you found a way out.
Thanks for the heartfelt story. Let's all hold a good thought for Donna. Hopefully, she can free herself from this lifestyle and find peace and comfort in life.

SoulTYPE

Most girls turn to prostitution out of desperate need to pay off drugs and other expenses. The trap, as descrbed previously, is basically an "easy way out". I have lived near St Kilda(many "ladies" work there) and have seen the nicest grl become the nastiest dirty *****. Quite often, a girl will mix in with the wrong crowd, and turn to drugs through peer pressure. Drugs soon turn out to be more than fun" but the habit. Then the girl may turn to prostitution to "fix" her habit, only making it worse.

Now I admit, I have er "met" with these ladies before, and it actually saddens me of someof the condition they become. None should live like that..walking around with eyes rolled back.

Also in St Kilda, there is a girl aged 13 who "works" with her mother. Now this is not a great way to raise a child...how is that girl going to turn out. THAT again saddens me..