• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Libertarian Views on Climate Change (Libertarians Only)

Laika

Premium Member
hey everyone,

I wanted to get your views on Climate Change. To keep it simple I have two questions;

1. Do you accept the scientific consensus on climate change, that human beings are contributing to it by burning fossil fuels?

[I realise Libertarians and Conservatives are more likely to deny that humans are contributing to climate change so if you feel that way, I would be interested to hear why.]

2. What strategies would you implement as a libertarian to address the threat of climate change (given that it's prevention and destabilising consequences could justify a reduction of economic and political freedom?)

Thoughts?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
GW is real because it's observable.
But AGW science is in its infancy, & the models have poor predictive value.
It makes sense that we contribute to warming, but what's not clear to me
is the extent of this vs mitigating or exacerbating natural factors.

I'd pursue a public policy of energy conservation for reasons other than AGW, but which would also mitigate it.
Conservation.....
- Provides energy independence, which is militarily strategic.
- Cuts pollution.
- Cuts costs.
- Enables natural environment preservation.
- Minimizes AGW.

Note on cost cutting.....
Much of energy conservation is made not cost effective by the tax code.
I propose that business be able to deduct the costs of conservation as an operating expense, instead of having to capitalize it over many decades.

Last edited:

Jumi

Consensus is over-hyped. When a science has matured, there's not much need for a consensus. The models and theories are useful in and of themselves. I suggest the answer to multiple problems we face today is to take on pollution and environmental consequences first. Phasing out outdated, less efficient power plants and wasteful manufacturing processes should not be discouraged by governments or international deals.

ScottySatan

I dislike that belief or not in climate change has anything to do with political views. It makes me think that people don't think for themselves.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
That we are polluting and raping this planet is undeniable,
our once pristine rivers are now poisoned, undrinkable and
even a danger to swim in, atmosphere polluted etc....

we need to do whatever we can to live in harmony with nature .... and on an individual and personal level rather
than a government directed one ... though perhaps a tax break or subsidy may help us install our solar and wind turbines and convert to electric transport ...