• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living donor

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
So I've already got a few people advising me against this. A few that are supportive. Im considering once i get off SSI so they can't disqualify me for being on that and having depression becoming a living donor. You can do this legally but you wont get paid for it. There's a huge need for it we have an organ shortage. I am on the bone marrow registry and I did end up getting disqualified once I was found a potiental match cuz I was on SSI due to my autism and have depression. You can be depressed and donate bone marrow but you can't donate if you are on SSI and have depression. Dont know if it's the same for other types of donations. Im thinking of going on the kidney registry and donating one of my kidneys to a stranger. I havent decided yet I still need to read up on it and besides I won't be off ssi for at least one more year. According to what ive read this will not decrease my life expectancy or increase my risk of kidney failure and the risk of complications is low during surgery. Body can survive with one kidney.

I just want to know what other people's thoughts are on it. Ive just had this thought occur to me today. I haven't done sufficient research yet or contacted a transplant center to make a decision. Another thing ive thought of is donating a portion of my liver instead of a kidney or maybe after my body heals doing that as well. The liver can grow back a kidney can't. I do not know the risk involved with that in the slightest I'd have to read more on it I just found out that's a thing today. At the very least even if i can do either of these things with SSI and being depressed and wouldn't have to wait a year to decide id want at least a couple months to think on it and really weigh the risks and cons and read up on all that. So what are y'all thoughts?

VoidCat

Wow i told a family member i was going to take a year to decide if i want to donate a kidney
She said im not old enough to make that decision. She says I shouldnt make life changing decisions unless it's about family like if i want a kid or something. Kidney donation only comes with a mortality rate of .03%. Childbirth comes with a higher mortality rate. And both cause life altering changes to the body.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
It seems unnecessary to me, unless I'm donating for someone specific that I know and care for. Higher risk than there is reward, in my opinion.

Last edited:

VoidCat

It seems unnecessary to me, unless I'm donating for someone specific that I know and care for. Higher risk than there is reward, in my opinion.
Eh so far i dont know for my case. It involves very minimal risk from my understanding. Less then .03% to .06% die from the surgery and there is no reduction in life expectancy nor is there an increase in the chances of kidney disease. At least from what I've read

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I just want to know what other people's thoughts are on it.
Sometimes, it is good to be selfish.

Keep your kidneys I say. I'm sure in the best case scenario there are long term complications that come with having one kidney only.

You have your motivations for why you want to do this, but be selfish I say. Perhaps I say that selfishly, as I enjoy your acquaintance.

VoidCat

Sometimes, it is good to be selfish.

Keep your kidneys I say. I'm sure in the best case scenario there are long term complications that come with having one kidney only.

You have your motivations for why you want to do this, but be selfish I say. Perhaps I say that selfishly, as I enjoy your acquaintance.
Who says im being selfless donating a kidney and not selfish?

VoidCat

@Xavier Graham

Doing something good for someone else feels good. And I want to live a life i can be proud of. Those are selfish reasons. I also want to extend someone else's life. That's selfless.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I want to live a life i can be proud of.
I don't think it's that simple. Giving a kidney or a portion of your liver might not be the answer.

I too want to live a life I could be proud of. It is a struggle. Don't give up. Or do, and accept inadequacy. Many do.

VoidCat

I don't think it's that simple. Giving a kidney or a portion of your liver might not be the answer.

I too want to live a life I could be proud of. It is a struggle. Don't give up. Or do, and accept inadequacy. Many do.
Of course.

Ill add from what ive read it seems like minimal risk donating a kidney and there's no decrease that they know of in life expectancy.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm likely to be donating my body for medical research when I croak but might have donated bits if required by some relative. I don't have such a selfless nature to do it otherwise though. :oops:

VoidCat

I'm likely to be donating my body for medical research when I croak but might have donated bits if required by some relative. I don't have such a selfless nature to do it otherwise though. :oops:
No issue with donating the body to medical research. That's an honorable thing