• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love the Amazing Transformation

I am coming to terms recently with the fact that I might be an Agnostic Atheist. Since being indoctrinated at an early age into Christianity, I feel there has been such a negative connotation with Atheism. I feel pretty strongly that there may be no Gods, or deities, etc. However, I can't say that with complete certainty. I definitely don't believe in such hosh posh of the Abrahamic God.

Ironically enough, I still believe in the possibility of some kind of spiritual force in the universe. I don't think I would necessarily call this God though, but I don't know, and obviously I will more than likely never know.

This is all very confusing to me. Would I be considered an Atheist? Can Atheists have spiritual feelings, or reverence of the universe in a spiritual sense?

Last edited:

Clizby Wampuscat

I know many atheists who were once Catholics.
And a few who grew up believing other religions.
Every one just at some point in their life simply
had the light bulb switch on.....Oh, this is bunk!
They abandoned guilt, certainty, & being locked
into a dysfunctional belief system that they
couldn't reconcile with the real world.

Tell us about your transformation.
Good?
Bad?
Still figuring it all out?

Ricky Gervais has his epiphany at 8 years old.
Short video....
I grew up not going to church, my parents believed god existed but did not like churches, denominations etc. I basically did not care about the god idea until I met my wife when I was 25. She was a christian and as our relationship grew more serious she wanted me to investigate god and Jesus. So I did. My mistaken thought process at the time was that the religious people were the experts so I just went to religions people such as ministers other christians I respected etc. and never investigated the flaws in the arguments. So I became convinced christianity was true and was a christian for 17 years.

Then I started to be exposed to atheist arguments and flaws in the believers arguments through the Atheist Experience show through the Atheist Community of Austin (TX) when I got into apologetics. This is a call in show by atheists that talk to religious people about reasons for belief. At first I disagreed with their arguments but over time the arguments made sense to me. I realized that I was unconvinced that a god existed and became an atheist and have been for the last 4 years. What happened after I told my wife, family and friends is a different story. Just to let you know my wife and I are still married and doing well.

I like hearing these stories from other unbelievers.

Clizby Wampuscat

I am coming to terms recently with the fact that I might be an Agnostic Atheist. Since being indoctrinated at an early age into Christianity, I feel there has been such a negative connotation with Atheism. I feel pretty strongly that there may be no Gods, or deities, etc. However, I can't say that with complete certainty. I definitely don't believe in such hosh posh of the Abrahamic God.

Ironically enough, I still believe in the possibility of some kind of spiritual force in the universe. I don't think I would necessarily call this God though, but I don't know, and obviously I will more than likely never know.

This is all very confusing to me. Would I be considered an Atheist? Can Atheists have spiritual feelings, or reverence of the universe in a spiritual sense?
I think you would be considered an atheist. I know atheists that believe in ghosts or other supernatural stuff. Atheism is just an answer to a god question.

Hello! Yes. I am coming to terms with the fact that my belief towards any gods now are basically under the umbrella of "agnostic atheist."
I also have hints of leanings sometimes towards different non-theist philosophies such as pantheism, ietsism, etc. I still have spiritual leanings towards different things.

I have basically given up on believing in any kind of god or deity. I have been attached to this feeling all my life. Even if there was any kind of god, they certainly don't give a flip about us. The most plausible variation I could say that would actually make sense to me is a Deist concept of god. However, that doesn't necessarily make me believe in it and I believe I could argue that in a certain sense, a Deist view point in terms of everything being created by a god that simply stepped back afterwards is a bit of a cop out.

I now live my life non religiously, and at the current moment, I have no belief really in any god. Even though I don't have any belief, I cannot say for certain that I know this for a fact however.