• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meal prepping safety

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I can meal prep ahead for three days making my salads. I oven roast some chicken breast and divide it into three containers. I then mix veggies into three other containers: spinach, mushrooms, diced onions, diced garlic, cheese, and black olives.

These are all in sealed airtight plastic tupperware. I will eat them no later than a 4th night from the night I made them, but usually within 3 days.

Does this sound fairly safe? I've been doing this twice a week every week for a couple months now with no apparent issues or food poisoning.

I also use only half an onion at a time. I tend to dice the entire thing though, so I will store the other half of the onion (diced) in its own airtight container in the bottom of my fridge, so that way I don't have to dice another onion for the second half of the week. Upon recent googling I found that diced onions only last 3 days in the fridge. Is that true? Would it be better if I cut half the onion, diced that half and stored the other half undiced for the next half of the week? Or would the fact that its cut mean it will go bad?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm thinking about taking out the mushrooms. They aren't slimy nor do they smell (from what I can tell) but they taste off. It could be my imagination, but better safe than sorry. How about the other ingredients?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It always depends on the food. Shellfish for example should spend a minimum time in an unfrozen state. And if you cook some foods they will keep longer.

Three days should not be a problem for most foods. Meat is often out at the grocery store for up to three days before you buy it, and then it is supposed to have at least a day or two in your refrigerator. And a very cold refrigerator will tend to keep safe longer than a warmer one. If you are worried a bit and your fridge is at 38 F drop it down to 34. If it is hovering around right at 32 you could harm fresh vegetables by freezing them in an incorrect manner. Meat on the other hand likes it cold.

Tinkerpeach

I can meal prep ahead for three days making my salads. I oven roast some chicken breast and divide it into three containers. I then mix veggies into three other containers: spinach, mushrooms, diced onions, diced garlic, cheese, and black olives.

These are all in sealed airtight plastic tupperware. I will eat them no later than a 4th night from the night I made them, but usually within 3 days.

Does this sound fairly safe? I've been doing this twice a week every week for a couple months now with no apparent issues or food poisoning.

I also use only half an onion at a time. I tend to dice the entire thing though, so I will store the other half of the onion (diced) in its own airtight container in the bottom of my fridge, so that way I don't have to dice another onion for the second half of the week. Upon recent googling I found that diced onions only last 3 days in the fridge. Is that true? Would it be better if I cut half the onion, diced that half and stored the other half undiced for the next half of the week? Or would the fact that its cut mean it will go bad?
No.

The shelf life for chicken is three days but by then it’s completely crawling with bacteria.

If you saw it under a microscope you wouldn’t touch it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No.

The shelf life for chicken is three days but by then it’s completely crawling with bacteria.

That is for raw chicken, but once you cook it you reset the clock. Then it is another three to four days. For raw chicken it is two days. But that is rather misleading. A store can have it out for two or three days before they reduce it for quick sale and even then you are supposed to have two days. So if you know that it is very fresh chicken four or even five days is not unreasonable. And that is for a 40 degree refrigerator. Lower temperatures should be even longer.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

3-4 days is about right for keeping cooked foods around.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@The Sum of Awe

How cold is your fridge? Is it a reasonably constant temperature.

Food kept at 3 or 4c is going to last longer than 8 or 10c

Funnily enough it also depends what country you are in, UK recommend times are less than US recommended times for some reason?

Meats (us times) 3 to 4 days (in America ;-)
Vegetables 3 to 7 days

You're still alive and kicking so i guess what you do is ok.

My trick with onion is half it, wrap one half in cling film. When i want to use it I'll slice off about a mm of the open bit and use what's left. I don't know if discarding the open end makes any difference but im still alive and kicking too so...

Keep your containers clean

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

Assuming they are refrigerated, it’s perfectly safe.

If you cut the onion in half and store it, it will last longer because less surface area is exposed to air. You will likely only need to remove a thin slice at the end when you go to dice it.

I'm thinking about taking out the mushrooms. They aren't slimy nor do they smell (from what I can tell) but they taste off. It could be my imagination, but better safe than sorry. How about the other ingredients?
If you are storing them only 3 days and none of the ingredients smell or are showing signs of spoilage, there should be no need to remove any ingredients.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
That is the temperature danger zone we are discussing how long it lasts.

Chicken is a dangerous food product if not handled properly.
There was no improper handling mentioned in the thread. No one suggested storing chicken in the danger zone. I'm not sure why this...
3-4 days is technically ok but you are in the danger zone so eat at your own risk.
...was relevant, when I specifically said...
Assuming they are refrigerated, it’s perfectly safe.
Are you just trying to create drama?

Tinkerpeach

There was no improper handling mentioned in the thread. No one suggested storing chicken in the danger zone. I'm not sure why this...

...was relevant, when I specifically said...

Are you just trying to create drama?
You seem to be looking to debate me on something where there is nothing to debate.

I stated that 3-4 days chicken starts becoming unsafe.

That was the extent of my comment and I really don’t want to spend my morning discussing the finer details of proper food handling so I will bow out here.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You seem to be looking to debate me on something where there is nothing to debate.

I stated that 3-4 days chicken starts becoming unsafe.

That was the extent of my comment and I really don’t want to spend my morning discussing the finer details of proper food handling so I will bow out here.
If you read up on it you are dealing with two different things. Raw chicken has its own problems and keeps for a shorter time than cook chicken. Once you cook it you have reset the clock because you are dealing with different bacteria. And a colder fridge keeps food safe longer than one at 40 F. The USDA tends to go with worst case scenarios. So they assume that it is a 40 degree fridge. Mine is too close to freezing at times. I have lost vegetables that got frozen. But in the summer I want cold water, milk, beer, etc.. 40 does not feel cold to me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No.

I used to work as an assistant chef. Most thawed chicken is placed in a container of saltwater to keep the meat fresh, safe, and tasty for longer.

Tinkerpeach

I used to work as an assistant chef. Most thawed chicken is placed in a container of saltwater to keep the meat fresh, safe, and tasty for longer.
Soaking chicken in water does not preserve it and it’s actually very unsafe because that water becomes contaminated and if it splashes out you have now contaminated whatever it splashed on.

You probably saw him make a brine, a basic one is water, salt, and sugar but that is used for flavor and to keep it juicy not for preservation.

In fact it only takes about half an hour to infuse the brine so it’s part of the cooking process.