• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID), or Euthanasia

Over the past 8 years, has your attitude to MAID (with responsible rules) changed, and if so, how?

• I was against, now I'm for.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I was for, and now I'm against.

• I was for, and still am.

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • I was against, and still am.

• Other (if you choose this, please explain)

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Almost 8 years ago, Canada passed legislation that finally permitted doctors to assist people who, afflicted with terminal illness or unbearable medical issues, to die. There were strict rules (which have been relaxed a bit in the meantime).

To me, this made perfect sense. I have had pets put down (a cat suffering from cardiac failure, a dog with liver cancer). Although this saddened me, because I lost loved members of my family, I did it out of love for them -- to allow them to die comfortably and peacefully, without struggling on in pain.

Many people still believe, however, that this is wrong (or a "sin") when humans are involved. That even if Granny is in pain, it is wrong (for whatever reason) to grant he wish to seek help to die.

My question is this: over the past 8 years, has your attitude to MAID or euthanasia changed? Are you for or against?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I see no reason that "granny" should be in pain and if serious pain control shortens her life, that's fine.

My father-in-law was with us, literally, as he was dying. The time we had to share the process including fond memories and practical details is something I treasure. Deliberately cutting it short via suicide/euthanasia seems wrong to me.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I see no reason that "granny" should be in pain and if serious pain control shortens her life, that's fine.

My father-in-law was with us, literally, as he was dying. The time we had to share the process including fond memories and practical details is something I treasure. Deliberately cutting it short via suicide/euthanasia seems wrong to me.
But MAID would not apply in your your father-in-laws case, because he had no desire to go that way. The question is, rather, what would you think if he had said, "it's more than I can bear -- I really want to be released from this! I'll sign the paper right now!"? Do you think he should continue in his suffering just so that he could share memories and details with you?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But MAID would not apply in your your father-in-laws case, because he had no desire to go that way. The question is, rather, what would you think if he had said, "it's more than I can bear -- I really want to be released from this! I'll sign the paper right now!"? Do you think he should continue in his suffering just so that he could share memories and details with you?
I said and meant that people should not suffer at the end even if their life is shortened by drugs. And based on that I'm against suicide/euthanasia.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I said and meant that people should not suffer at the end even if their life is shortened by drugs. And based on that I'm against suicide/euthanasia.
Do you think that drugs can relieve all suffering? You should know you are quite wrong. Think of ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's disease). It's fatal, it's a problem with motor neurans, involving progressive degeneration of nerve cells in the spinal cord and brain leading to loss of voluntary control of arms and legs, and eventual loss of ability breath. Sadly, it does not affect intelligence, thinking, seeing, or hearing, so you are constantly aware that your are suffocating to death. Do you know a drug that can make that go away? Do you think the doctors do? (They don't.)

So there are you, unable to communicate to anyone, suffocating (for days and weeks!) Fun? Wow!

Now, suppose that was happening to your family pet, with it's big, dark eyes looking up, pleading with you -- they only succour it's ever known -- to help. You know, it will die -- nothing is going to change that. The only choice you have is how much suffering you think it should endure while going through that final, inevitable part of life. You could choose to help it go a little sooner, but more comfortably, or you could decide that "it's all in God's hands," and if God wants it to suffer horribly for a few more days, you're fine with that.

Which is it?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Was for it and still am

Based on applying the golden rule

If I was horribly suffering with no hope of recovery then I would want the option of being able to end it all

Therefore I think that others in that situation should have that option

libre

Skylark
I am for it.

MAID process is long, and if someone applies for it instead of taking their own life, there are chances that the medical community can convince them there are better options before their date comes.

This is why I support MAID for long-term mental health issues as is now legal in Canada. People who may otherwise commit suicide who choose to pursue MAID have to speak to 3+ doctors and get it in writing that they have seriously evaluated their treatment options (not likely the doctor will sign off unless the patient has actually exhausted available options,) as well as taking over 90 days to schedule.

I do believe this process saves the lives of people who would otherwise lose their lives to depression or other treatable mental illnesses.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Think of ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's disease). It's fatal, it's a problem with motor neurans, involving progressive degeneration of nerve cells in the spinal cord and brain leading to loss of voluntary control of arms and legs, and eventual loss of ability breath. Sadly, it does not affect intelligence, thinking, seeing, or hearing, so you are constantly aware that your are suffocating to death. Do you know a drug that can make that go away? Do you think the doctors do? (They don't.)
An internet search found a lot of hospice measures.

Common anticipatory medicines include the following:
  • Medicine for pain in palliative care – an appropriate opioid, for example, morphine, diamorphine, oxycodone or alfentanil.
  • Medicine for breathlessness – midazolam or an opioid.
  • Medicine for anxiety – midazolam.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Almost 8 years ago, Canada passed legislation that finally permitted doctors to assist people who, afflicted with terminal illness or unbearable medical issues, to die. There were strict rules (which have been relaxed a bit in the meantime).

To me, this made perfect sense. I have had pets put down (a cat suffering from cardiac failure, a dog with liver cancer). Although this saddened me, because I lost loved members of my family, I did it out of love for them -- to allow them to die comfortably and peacefully, without struggling on in pain.

Many people still believe, however, that this is wrong (or a "sin") when humans are involved. That even if Granny is in pain, it is wrong (for whatever reason) to grant he wish to seek help to die.

My question is this: over the past 8 years, has your attitude to MAID or euthanasia changed? Are you for or against?
I think everyone has a personal right to off themselves. In spite of legislation, in reality there's really nothing you can do about it or nothing you can really do to stop them from doing it if determined enough.

My only criteria is the person themselves needs to be in full control as to weither they want to leave the planet or not with an exception is if they want an agent to do it on their behalf, if they are incapacitated or unable to do so.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think everyone has a personal right to off themselves. In spite of legislation, in reality there's really nothing you can do about it or nothing you can really do to stop them from doing it if determined enough.
True.
My only criteria is the person themselves needs to be in full control as to weither they want to leave the planet or not with an exception is if they want an agent to do it on their behalf, if they are incapacitated or unable to do so.
Knowing the real world, there will be abuse where to save money, for example, someone is murdered and it's made to look like they gave prior approval.

There is also a spiritual perspective. Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity all have the same basic viewpoint. - people should not commit suicide.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
True.

Knowing the real world, there will be abuse where to save money, for example, someone is murdered and it's made to look like they gave prior approval.

There is also a spiritual perspective. Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity all have the same basic viewpoint. - people should not commit suicide.
Well Buddhism, at least with various sects, has a spotty and well documented track record in that regard.

Examples like those involving Thích Quảng Đức, and taking on Kaihōgyō at Mt Hiei in Japan come to mind.

RestlessSoul

My father, who is 92, is slowly dying in a Nursing home. He was an athlete all his life, so that makes it particularly painful to watch him waste away, confined to a bed, unable to stand, unable to move, unable to dress himself or attend to his toilet needs. It would be easier for my mum, and for me and my brother, if he slipped away quietly, sooner rather than later. And it would probably be easier for him, but he hasn't said so. My friend who is a hospice nurse, assures me that eventually he'll accept the end, and when he does, when he's ready to go, he'll die peacefully. She's seen a lot of people die, so I trust her judgement, and leave it all in the hands of God and nature. It's hard to watch though.

I haven't answered the OP because I don't have an answer. Not all questions have easy answers. But I would ask those advocating for assisted dying, would you be the one to actively administer the coup de grace? I'm not sure I could.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Always been for.
Let's distinguish between decriminalization and depenalization. In Italy.
The first is whenever a crime is declassified as misdemeanor or contravention, and can be fined. That is, there will be a pecuniary sanction (a fine. A mulct is when there is a crime; a fine, when there is a contravention).
Depenalization is whenever a crime is still considered a crime according to the Criminal Code (we call it Penal Code) but the penalty is suspended.

Assisted suicide is still a crime but has been depenalized by Italy's Supreme Court.
Ruling 242/2019, Court of Cassation, Rome.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Voted was for, and still am.

It's surely the way i want to go if i am in pain or a burden on the lives of others.

With that in mind both husband and me have registered with Dignitas.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted "other." I'm neither for nor against it. A person's choice of whether or not to commit suicide receive euthanasia is theirs.

I wouldn't do it. I'll leave my body in due course.