• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation as a pain-killer

ajay0

Based on my personal observations, I would say meditation can play the role of a pain-killer to some extent.

Once while walking, I stubbed my toe on a large stone. The physical pain was unbearable to the point that it forced me to sit on the ground. :cry:

Seeing that the pain was not receding, I quickly weighed options in mind and decided to employ meditation as a tool desperately. After a few moments of meditation , I found the pain tangibly reducing to the point that it became bearable and I could get up and walk.

In an another occasion, while suffering from a painful toothache, I decided to employ meditation again, and this time too perceived reduction in the pain.

Curiously checking the internet, I saw some articles in this regard as well...

Meditation can help relieve chronic pain by triggering the release of endorphins, your body’s natural painkillers.

An older 2008 studyTrusted Source involving 24 long-term practitioners of transcendental meditation found them to have a much lower pain response than the control group.

Another more recent study from 2020 found that participants with chronic pain who undertook an 8-week mindfulness-based stress reduction course experienced a reduction in depression and pain scores at the end of the 8-week session.

Meditation may also boost your pain tolerance by lowering cortisol, a leading cause of inflammation, according to a 2013 studyTrusted Source involving 30 second-year medical students.

Based on this, I would say potential physical pain reduction is also a beneficial reason for anyone to study meditation.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Based on my personal observations, I would say meditation can play the role of a pain-killer to some extent.

Once while walking, I stubbed my toe on a large stone. The physical pain was unbearable to the point that it forced me to sit on the ground. :cry:

Seeing that the pain was not receding, I quickly weighed options in mind and decided to employ meditation as a tool desperately. After a few moments of meditation , I found the pain tangibly reducing to the point that it became bearable and I could get up and walk.

In an another occasion, while suffering from a painful toothache, I decided to employ meditation again, and this time too perceived reduction in the pain.

Based on this, I would say potential physical pain reduction is also a beneficial reason for anyone to study meditation.
Personally I'm still going to take painkiller medicine.

ajay0

Personally I'm still going to take painkiller medicine.

I did not say that you had to stop using painkiller medicines.

You can use meditation as a device together with the medicines for better pain alleviation. It's all personal choice.

The meditation painkiller is also an option you can use when you don't have painkiller medicines at hand in certain circumstances.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have found meditation and mindfulness helpful not to reduce pain per se but to reduce the suffering resulting from pain. I have a medical issue that frequently causes pain and discomfort, so these techniques have been part of my daily life for years.

When I suffer as a result of pain, I try to meditate on the fact that pain is a biological function we have that doesn't always mean our safety is threatened. For example, on days when I have flare-ups of pain from the abovementioned medical condition, I often remind myself that the pain is just my body's reaction to a biological issue. My health is still stable, overall good, and under control, and multiple doctors have determined that the pain is not a medical risk unless the underlying condition worsens—and I follow medical guidance to ensure that it doesn't.

I know that painkillers are life-saving for many people, and many medical conditions cause unbearable pain that requires professional care that can't be replaced with meditation or mindfulness. In my own situation, though, these techniques have sometimes helped me to avoid usage of painkillers, and I'm thankful for that.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I have found meditation and mindfulness helpful not to reduce pain per se but to reduce the suffering resulting from pain.
^^ This sums up it up nicely. ^^

It's not the pain that is removed. The electrical signals from the nerve endings to the brain are still functioning as intended. Through meditation or mindfulness, on is shifting one's attention away from the pain, away from these signals and that part of the brain, thus mitigating or eliminating suffering.

Swami Turiyananda underwent several surgeries and would not allow doctors to administer a general anesthetic. Through this mental preparedness, he did not eliminate the pain of the surgery, but was able to separate himself from that pain, thereby eliminating suffering. and was silent and still for the surgeries. It's said that after one of his surgeries, nurses removed bandages and began cleaning the area when he wailed in pain. They were confused by how he remained silent during surgery, which was much more painful, but wailed at a cleaning. When asked, he said he had to be told first so he could prepare himself.

I have played with pain, though not to such extremes and have had similar results.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I prefer to let loose a string of profanities.
Very therapeutic.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I've found that some forms of meditation work sometimes for some ailments.
I.e. there is no guarantee.
Sometimes I can't even start to meditate when in pain. But I have borrowed the "Litany against Fear" from the Bene Gesserit and turned it into the Litany against Pain. It works on acute pain, and it can even be administered to other people, if they are susceptible to hypnosis.

ajay0

I prefer to let loose a string of profanities.
Very therapeutic.

This is also a form of meditation, known as Gibberish Meditation. Seriously.

It was created by the sufi sage Jabbar. The technique is to say whatever comes in one's mind without restraint. I have done it a couple of times and found it relaxing and useful.

Of course, it is always better to do it alone or in solitude without anyone in earshot. :fearscream:

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

I have experience pain relief by meditation as well. I was doing a body scan. I think it also helps us to pinpoint exactly where the pain is so that we can focus on that area. It helped me be more aware of my plantar faciitis, and through stretching and doing tai chi and proper walking it is receding in intensity.

RestlessSoul

Meditation, in my experience, brings relief from suffering through detachment. The pain is still there but I am no longer fully identified with it, as I am no longer fully identified with either my body or my ego.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is also a form of meditation, known as Gibberish Meditation. Seriously.

It was created by the sufi sage Jabbar. The technique is to say whatever comes in one's mind without restraint. I have done it a couple of times and found it relaxing and useful.

Of course, it is always better to do it alone or in solitude without anyone in earshot. :fearscream:

I had no idea that my foul rants
could be seen as sophistimacated.
Woohoo!