• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mondays in Kārthikai

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Likely. He was one scary kid.
edited ... but we are WAY off topic. Boss will be off to the somavaram soon. I thought about going, but then I went to the dentist, and still have that icky feeling. My contribution was a fresh coconut for the abhishekham. Have you ever watched a priest use a mini machete to open the end of a raw coconut. It's another amazing skill to observe. Four quick hard whacks with a very sharp object, and a neat 4 sided pouring hole is the result. I'm always amazed at the unusual (for those of us untrained fools) skills of those guys. The coconut hawkers on the side of the road in India are even better at it.
They do make it look easy at the temple...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They do make it look easy at the temple...
I've tried it. Definitely not easy, but at least I don't hack off a finger. Last summer we watched an old friend of mine who has beginning stages of dementia use the sharp side of a cleaver to try to break the coconut. Somebody jumped in and turned it over for him.