• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mr. Oriole" Brooks Robinson dies at age 86

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
This shows my age but I remember the following play clearly from the 1970 World Series

In addition see this tribute by Hall of Famer Jim Palmer. (I also notice in the video that he was the one pitching when Brooks Robinson made that play)

“Great player, great guy on the field, great guy off,” said fellow Orioles Hall of Famer Jim Palmer, who was overcome with emotion. “Respectful, kind. And you don’t meet too many guys like that. Brooks was a genuine person. There was no acting. Brooks was just a genuine person.”

He won 16 straight gold gloves, emblematic of the best at his fielding position. Undoubted the greatest fielding 3rd baseman of all time.

Why am I carrying on like this? Because I was born in Baltimore and am a Baltimore sports fan. I remember fondly the glory days of Orioles baseball.

Here's a fuller video:

Truthseeker

Best of Brooks Robinson. A lot being 1970 world series against Cincinnati Reds where he won MVP. Also All star game action.

Truthseeker

Another tidbit I found out today about Brooks Robinson:

But it's worth noting that advanced metrics, calculated long after he retired, love his defense as well. According to the fielding runs metric at baseball-reference.com, Robinson is far and away the all-time leader (293) of any player at any position.