• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multi-Vitamins Linked to Increased Cancer Risk

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Excerpted...
LONDON — Multivitamins could increase the risk of cancer by as much as 30 percent and should carry a health warning, a doctor from a British charity warns. The controversial suggestion goes against the widely-held belief that taking multivitamins could help boost health by ensuring people receive adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals each day. As a result, Dr. Mohammad Muneeb Khan from the United Kingdom’s “Killing Cancer Kindly” says that multivitamin products should include labels with tobacco product-style warnings due to the dangers tied to taking certain supplements.

Dr. Khan, a National Health Service (NHS) oncologist, contends that supplements “bombard the body with huge doses of wholly unnecessary nutrients,” which may enable cancerous cells to grow and multiply. Natural vitamins found in foods, meanwhile, pose no danger because they are absorbed slowly, and the body takes only what it needs before flushing out the rest.

On the other hand, synthetic pills flood the bloodstream with up to twice the recommended daily dosage of nutrients, becoming a “superfood” for cancers, according to the doctor. Multivitamin supplements could also increase the risk of developing other cancers such as prostate cancer, bowel cancer, and breast cancer, the representative from Killing Cancer Kindly adds.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The standard of care here for cancer patients
is to stop taking multi-vitamins during treatment.

Dang....I'm giving up those thing.
Mrs Revolt sees that I get a balanced diet anyway.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never trusted supplements. I don't think we know enough about human biology to say "take x amount of this isolated nutrient", or any combination of multiple nutrients.

For all we know there could be a host of nutrients in food that we're not even aware of, let alone the amounts we need, or the ways in which specific nutrients interact with other nutrients.

David1967

Premium Member
The standard of care here for cancer patients
is to stop taking multi-vitamins during treatment.

Dang....I'm giving up those thing.
Mrs Revolt sees that I get a balanced diet anyway.
Back when I could still afford to go to a doctor, she told me that if we eat a balanced diet extra vitamins were unnecessary. But dang, I had no idea they were harmful.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Anything is potentially harmful.
Alcohol, cigarettes, espresso, coffee...

I mean...if we are obsessed with what we take just because we want to live forever, we won't live at all.

It reminds me of my physician that advises me to take sugarless espresso.
And I reply: forget it sweetheart, life is already bitter enough. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Anything is potentially harmful.
Alcohol, cigarettes, espresso, coffee...

I mean...if we are obsessed with what we take just because we want to live forever, we won't live at all.

It reminds me of my physician that advises me to take sugarless espresso.
And I reply: forget it sweetheart, life is already bitter enough. :)
My doc said stop taking them.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Eating correctly is paramount to good health. The reason many take a multivitamin is because they know just based on poor diet that they naturally will have vitamin deficiencies. That's the reason I began taking multivitamins years ago.

I think it's unwise to suggest people stop taking them without stressing the importance of a healthy diet in their stead.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Eating correctly is paramount to good health. The reason many take a multivitamin is because they know just based on poor diet that they naturally will have vitamin deficiencies. That's the reason I began taking multivitamins years ago.

I think it's unwise to suggest people stop taking them without stressing the importance of a healthy diet in their stead.
Exactly, bravo.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Just bought a new supply today. :frowning: But I doubt I will be getting enough in the food I eat, given such is more a minimum to survive. :pigface: :eyes: