• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My personal COVID-19 experience. Thoughts?

So, out of the COVID pandemic, I have had some experiences that I will never forget and never quite understand. I am curious to see others opinions on what I went through.

Me and my wife both work in health care. We work in a support based department and don't have direct contact with patients. We also have a son, who is now 5. At the time of this happening, it was shortly before his second birthday. We work a sort of rotating thing, where when I'm at work during the day, she is home with him. I come home, and then she goes to work for a half a shift compared to what I normally work. This is what has always worked for us and is what we still do until this day.

Around the very beginning of April 2020, over the course of a weekend, she had really bad pain in her eyes and complained that her eyes hurt really bad. I didn't think anything too much of it considering she wears glasses and has vision issues. Well, about two days later, she woke up with a burning fever. I pretty much had a bad feeling immediately, but I went to work anyways. I think her temp was around 101 degrees or something like that. Later on in the day, she called in for her shift. We attempted to get her tested, but this was early on. They wouldn't test her since her symptoms weren't severe enough. They placed us in a "quarantine." Her symptoms started to get worse. She seemed exhausted, with no appetite, and was asleep a LOT. Seemed like essentially a bad case of the flu, but given what was going on... I had to assume that she had possibly contracted COVID due to what was going on. Unfortunately, our guess was as good as anyone's considering she couldn't get tested. She basically couldn't get out of bed. In all this time, since we had a two year old, I was pretty panicked since I was basically alone with him, and scared that I was going to come down with symptoms like she did. A week went by. She was still sick, and didn't seem to be getting better. This was really concerning for me, as I was scared that she was going to die. I had never seen her sick like this before. At the behest of her friend, we found a place that would test her. So we took her there and essentially they took her vitals, and told me to take her to the hospital immediately, as her oxygen saturation was below the threshold of where it should have been, in the 80's. They didn't bother to test her, as her condition was pretty bad. They said if she tests positive, come back and we will test both you and your son. At this point, I still didn't have any kind of symptoms and neither did my son. She tested positive in the hospital and was put on oxygen. Me and my son got tested the next day and both of us came back negative. We still had zero symptoms. She came home around 5 days later, but was still using oxygen for nearly three weeks. She improved, and got better thankfully. I don't think I have ever been this scared before in my entire life. Not only was I going through all of this, but I was going through it alone, as I did not want to risk spreading anything to family members, so I essentially refused any kind of help unless it was completely necessary. This was still very early on, so not as many things were known.

But... this makes me think. How the heck did both me and my son not get sick, AT ALL? By all rights, at least one of us, probably me, should have caught the virus from her. I slept next to her, had contact with her this whole time essentially, except for when she came home from the hospital. After that, she was bedroom quarantined just to be safe. But still... Until this day... I can't understand how I didn't get sick. Even if I was asymptomatic, wouldn't it have shown up in a test? Me and my son were both negative. The only thing I can possibly think of is the fact that in Feb-March, I came down with some kind of variant of the flu, and was sick for some time, which then turned into Bronchitis. I was sick for like a month, but nobody caught my illness. Is it possible that me being sick, essentially put up some kind of immune defense which prevented me from getting COVID? I don't really know how all this stuff works.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes, I recall seeing something to this notion. I did end up getting COVID-19 though eventually. This occurred in the summer of 2022. I got it, then my son got it and then my wife got it again. However, it was nothing like our first experience. My worst was the first couple of days, my son was sick for about a day, and my wife didn't get sick anywhere near as bad as the first time. I would assume this is due to vaccination and previous infection.

My guess was since strains circulating were different, perhaps I was more immune to the first strain. Or perhaps when I was sick before previously, I actually had COVID-19. However, this was before the numbers really exploded in our state. I also did an antibody test. and it came back negative, so who knows.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, out of the COVID pandemic, I have had some experiences that I will never forget and never quite understand. I am curious to see others opinions on what I went through.

Me and my wife both work in health care. We work in a support based department and don't have direct contact with patients. We also have a son, who is now 5. At the time of this happening, it was shortly before his second birthday. We work a sort of rotating thing, where when I'm at work during the day, she is home with him. I come home, and then she goes to work for a half a shift compared to what I normally work. This is what has always worked for us and is what we still do until this day.

Around the very beginning of April 2020, over the course of a weekend, she had really bad pain in her eyes and complained that her eyes hurt really bad. I didn't think anything too much of it considering she wears glasses and has vision issues. Well, about two days later, she woke up with a burning fever. I pretty much had a bad feeling immediately, but I went to work anyways. I think her temp was around 101 degrees or something like that. Later on in the day, she called in for her shift. We attempted to get her tested, but this was early on. They wouldn't test her since her symptoms weren't severe enough. They placed us in a "quarantine." Her symptoms started to get worse. She seemed exhausted, with no appetite, and was asleep a LOT. Seemed like essentially a bad case of the flu, but given what was going on... I had to assume that she had possibly contracted COVID due to what was going on. Unfortunately, our guess was as good as anyone's considering she couldn't get tested. She basically couldn't get out of bed. In all this time, since we had a two year old, I was pretty panicked since I was basically alone with him, and scared that I was going to come down with symptoms like she did. A week went by. She was still sick, and didn't seem to be getting better. This was really concerning for me, as I was scared that she was going to die. I had never seen her sick like this before. At the behest of her friend, we found a place that would test her. So we took her there and essentially they took her vitals, and told me to take her to the hospital immediately, as her oxygen saturation was below the threshold of where it should have been, in the 80's. They didn't bother to test her, as her condition was pretty bad. They said if she tests positive, come back and we will test both you and your son. At this point, I still didn't have any kind of symptoms and neither did my son. She tested positive in the hospital and was put on oxygen. Me and my son got tested the next day and both of us came back negative. We still had zero symptoms. She came home around 5 days later, but was still using oxygen for nearly three weeks. She improved, and got better thankfully. I don't think I have ever been this scared before in my entire life. Not only was I going through all of this, but I was going through it alone, as I did not want to risk spreading anything to family members, so I essentially refused any kind of help unless it was completely necessary. This was still very early on, so not as many things were known.

But... this makes me think. How the heck did both me and my son not get sick, AT ALL? By all rights, at least one of us, probably me, should have caught the virus from her. I slept next to her, had contact with her this whole time essentially, except for when she came home from the hospital. After that, she was bedroom quarantined just to be safe. But still... Until this day... I can't understand how I didn't get sick. Even if I was asymptomatic, wouldn't it have shown up in a test? Me and my son were both negative. The only thing I can possibly think of is the fact that in Feb-March, I came down with some kind of variant of the flu, and was sick for some time, which then turned into Bronchitis. I was sick for like a month, but nobody caught my illness. Is it possible that me being sick, essentially put up some kind of immune defense which prevented me from getting COVID? I don't really know how all this stuff works.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I walked this same road at about the same time. My wife was hospitalized with severe COVID in November of 2020.

She has also caught it again, but didn't need to be hospitalized that time.

I have not caught it once.

I'm so sorry that you and your boy had to go through that alone. I know exactly how terrifying and hard that is.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Its recently been verified in at least one study that Vitamin D helps to decrease Covid-19 symptoms. See the below link to NIH info
Code:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38008066/

There's no telling, but maybe this was one of the variables that affected your wife.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Covid did not affect everyone equally and the early testing was not that good. Both my wife and I both ended up in the hospital with breathing issues. My oldest Son had a cold for 3 days and my youngest son showed no symptoms. My Dad got covid and had to go to the hospital, my mom never got sick.

Wandering Monk

Its recently been verified in at least one study that Vitamin D helps to decrease Covid-19 symptoms. See the below link to NIH info
Code:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38008066/

There's no telling, but maybe this was one of the variables that affected your wife.
Vitamin D regulates your immune response to infection. If your D levels are low (something like 40% of people), it is more likely that your immune system will over-react to infection and cause a cytokine storm. This reaction killed many people during the early days of COVID. Blacks and Hispanics have lower D levels on average, connected to processing vitamin D from sunlight.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ

The body is an amazing creation. It can't be predicted with certainty who will get a bad case and who will have no symptoms at all. I saw this repeatedly during the pandemic. Old folks whom I thought would surely die when they got it fared just fine. Others who I did not expect would have a bad case, died. And various gradations in between.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

The majority of people are just more resistant than others and suffer little or no symptoms. There is also natural immunity so if you did get infected, the body produces antibodies same as if you were vaccinated.