• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only Allowing 4 Airline Flights In A Lifetime

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How's that rail system working between France & Australia or USA?

There was a Gene Roddenberry pilot called Planet Earth which was a few centuries into the future. They had an underground subshuttle system with trains going at supersonic speeds through tunnels built all around the world.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Therefore?

Parenthetically:

My wife and I once spent a long vacation empowered, in part, by a 15-day Eurail pass. Europe with airline flight limits is nowhere near the same as North America with airline flight limits.​

It works if there's a decent rail and public transportation system in place. Passenger rail in the U.S. is kind of spotty.

Winner of the "Understatement" Award!
Yeah, all we have here in the U.S. is Amtrak and freight trains, and it's gotten a lot harder to find open box cars these days (not kidding).

Amtrak is a nightmare. Even just trying to use their website can be torture.

I've ridden the train from the west coast to Chicago several times and I'm willing to put up with going two and a half days without a shower or a decent nights sleep, the rude conductors, the ridiculously expensive food, the missed connections, etc. all for typically at least twice the price of a plane ticket.

But on top of all that they're going to make me beg them to let me buy a ticket?

Nah, not when I can go over to Expedia or One travel, hit three buttons, and start packing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There was a Gene Roddenberry pilot called Planet Earth which was a few centuries into the future. They had an underground subshuttle system with trains going at supersonic speeds through tunnels built all around the world.
Can Europeans ride on it?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Yeah, all we have here in the U.S. is Amtrak and freight trains, and it's gotten a lot harder to find open box cars these days (not kidding).

Amtrak is a nightmare. Even just trying to use their website can be torture.

I've ridden the train from the west coast to Chicago several times and I'm willing to put up with going two and a half days without a shower or a decent nights sleep, the rude conductors, the ridiculously expensive food, the missed connections, etc. all for typically at least twice the price of a plane ticket.

But on top of all that they're going to make me beg them to let me buy a ticket?

Nah, not when I can go over to Expedia or One travel, hit three buttons, and start packing.
Bus service kinda sucks, too...

Heyo

Veteran Member
Seems that a poll of the French indicated that 41% would support allowing on 4 airline flights in ones lifetime.
From Source
"A poll from research firm Consumer Science and Analytics Institute (CSA) found that 41% of citizens would support such a limit. That number rose to 59% support among 18-24-year-olds. The suggested limit, proposed by engineer Jean-Marc Jancovici, would apply to airtravel for business and pleasure. "
Depending on their definition of "airline flight", I have either far exceeded that limit or never been on a plane. I don't know if a 5 minute hop in an Islander counts. I prefer the ferry but ice or low water make the flight necessary sometimes.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Tourism is 10% of France's economy. Much of that is based on air travel. Maybe they should show everyone how it's done and reduce air travel within France. Sounds like a great idea. With the best of intentions! What could possibly go wrong?
It could open up a new market for those that do not fly to sell one, some or all of the four lifetime chances to fly. There could be an app for that.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

esmith

Veteran Member
Right, having ethical standards as to what media a person relies on is a serious flaw. I have the same flaw: no poor quality media that peddles disinformation.
You are welcome to your opinion, no matter if it is wrong.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experience greyhound is even worse.

Edit: it's all right for short (anything under a thousand miles) trips though.

Greyhound is the pits.

I remember I was on a Greyhound bus heading back to Tucson from LA, and we were stopped at a station (Indio, I think). I was just sitting in the bus looking out the window, and I saw a Greyhound dog milling around the bus parking area. It looked exactly like the Greyhound logo, with all-white fur and very sleek looking. I wasn't sure if it was some kind of mascot or what.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You are welcome to your opinion,
Which is why disinformation is understood to be trash by the well-informed, and to be dismissed as a source.
no matter if it is wrong.
Fortunately my opinion is well reasoned and based on fact, so not wrong in this case. It's funny that you don't agree that reputable media is a good thing, and a proper standard for well-informed people.