• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Passover delights

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
As most of you know, Passover begins at sunset on April 22 (Nissan 14). For those who would like to delve into it a bit, there are several suggestions I'd like to propose.

First, there is absolutely nothing better than going straight to the original source. The story of the Exodus begins in Exodus 1 and ends with the parting of the Reed Sea in chapter 14. I prefer a Jewish text, but I am not able to link to all 14 chapters. Here is the English Standard Version:

The most iconic rendition of the Exodus has got to be the 1956 Ten Commandments starring Charlton Heston as Moses and Yul Brynner as Pharaoh. Folks, they just don't make movies like this anymore! I would say that this movie is part of American core cultural literacy. No one ever forgets the scene where Moses parts the Red Sea. You can watch the complete movie for free on abc.com Here is a clip:

Next is a fabulous animated version, The Prince of Egypt. I find it particularly compelling in its exploration of the possible motivation for Pharoah as being, "I cannot be a weak link." It can be watched free if you have a subscription on Paramount, and other places for a small fee.

Finally, there is a brand spanking new on on Netflix called Testament: the Story of Moses. Although it is documentary format, it is important to know what it is NOT. It is not done with an eye for history -- there is no reference to archeology or sources outside of Exodus are examined. Rather, it is a discussion from mixed traditions, theologians of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

ENJOY and Chag Sameach!