• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protestantism, Catholicism, Orthodoxism, Anglicanism

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Protestantism, Catholicism, Ortodoxism, Anglicanism

If you had to convert to Christianity, which direction within Christianity would you have chosen? And why?

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If you had to convert to Christianity, which direction within Christianity would you have chosen? And why?

I'd probably go with non-theist Quakerism. Protestantism so not really converting since that is how I started.

Protestantism, read the Bible, pray, rely on personal spiritual experiences to find a relationship with the universe that you find fulfilling.
No authoritative religious requirements. Just seeking to become a better person.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I was born into Catholicism and left. I subsequently sampled other forms of Christianity.

Putting it plainly, I would not convert back to Christianity.

Starlight

I also couldn't truthfully convert, because the beliefs are not ones I hold.

But since this is a hypothetical, I guess I'd go with Orthodox. I appreciate the iconography.
Catholicism has also inconography

Starlight

I'd probably go with non-theist Quakerism. Protestantism so not really converting since that is how I started.

Protestantism, read the Bible, pray, rely on personal spiritual experiences to find a relationship with the universe that you find fulfilling.
No authoritative religious requirements. Just seeking to become a better person.
I did not know non-theist Quakerism existed

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well. I started out as a Protestant but ended up converting to Catholicism, which did not make my parents very happy but oh well. Anyway, I did so because of several things - starting with the fact that there are at least 73 books in the bible, not 66 and anyone who has gone through seminary knows that!

joelr

I didn't realize how much of an interpretation the Bible is until I listened to Joel Baden, a Professor at Yale talk about the development of the books.

Click-bait-y title but Baden is very smart. Harvard grad, works at Yale.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Protestantism isn't credible unless you think Christianity was founded in the 16th century.

Eastern Orthodoxy has ancient roots and maintains apostolic succession, but the Eastern Orthodox are less a unified Church and more a loose collection of squabbling national churches not all of whom are even in communion with each other. Convert to Orthodoxy? Which and whose Orthodoxy? Whoever you join you're joining an ethnic sect.

Catholicism has the same ancient roots as Eastern Orthodoxy. It also maintains apostolic succession. But the Latin Rite liturgy has been bowdlerized and Rome's commitment to doctrinal orthodoxy has been put into question especially under Pope Francis. To convert to Catholicism is to put your trust in a teaching office to hold the line. It's to put your faith in single office (the papacy). If the current pope has taught me anything; that's a big ask.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Protestantism isn't credible unless you think Christianity was founded in the 16th century.
Huh?

Protestantism is a reformation movement derived from Catholicism, a protest against abuses and practices of the Catholic Church. It doesn't claim to have established Christianity.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Huh?

Protestantism is a reformation movement derived from Catholicism, a protest against abuses and practices of the Catholic Church. It doesn't claim to have established Christianity.
You're missing the point. A 16th century protest movement cannot possibly be the true religion intended by God. The premise is absurd.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
You're missing the point. A 16th century protest movement cannot possibly be the true religion intended by God. The premise is absurd.
I don't believe in any one "true religion intended by God."

So your point is that no religion is credible unless it came before another religion? Only the first religion is the One True Religion™?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I left protestant CofE as a teenager, i wouldn't go back to that or any other religion

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I didn't realize how much of an interpretation the Bible is until I listened to Joel Baden, a Professor at Yale talk about the development of the books.

Click-bait-y title but Baden is very smart. Harvard grad, works at Yale.

Yes, I went down that rabbit hole briefly when I tried translating some passages from the Greek. The Greek words can have a few different understandings. Sometimes not significant, sometimes it was and you have to pick the "better" understanding according to whatever reasoning you might have.

That started to seem a bit pointless though because you are interpreting from Greek to English kind of arbitrarily. What they're saying compounds the problem ten fold.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I don't believe in any one "true religion intended by God."
That's not relevant to the question. A convert to Christianity probably accepts the falsity of all other religions.

So your point is that no religion is credible unless it came before another religion? Only the first religion is the One True Religion™?
My point is that if Christianity is true then Christ founded a church. (Matthew 16:18). The only relevant question then is who has the most credible claim to being that church. Protestantism lacks antiquity: it's not even a church; therefore, Protestantism cannot possibly possess the religion revealed by Christ because it does not possess the church he founded.

Last edited: