• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protestantism, Catholicism, Orthodoxism, Anglicanism

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No, but I can show you the verse that says He did many other things. I mean, He preached and traveled around for at least three years, and surely much of what He said was worth listening to, not just the Gospels, which can easily be read in one sitting.

John 21:25 -
"But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written."

libre

Skylark
If you had to convert to Christianity, which direction within Christianity would you have chosen? And why?
I consider the impact of Catholicism in Canada has been overwhelmingly negative and in order for me to convert it would require the Church be turned on it's head.

The Vatican throws out some apologies here and there whenever they get bad press but the residential school suspected mass-graves that First Nations are not allowed to excavate is a line in the sand for me.

Looking South, I'm not very impressed with Protestants history with the natives either.
I don't know enough about Orthodox/Anglicanism to pass judgement, but suffice it to say that the Christians here have poisoned the well for me.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
No, but I can show you the verse that says He did many other things. I mean, He preached and traveled around for at least three years, and surely much of what He said was worth listening to, not just the Gospels, which can easily be read in one sitting.

John 21:25 -
"But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written."
How does one speak to their worthiness when no one has any idea what they are?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Neither do I. Fortunately, I wasn't asking for that. I was asking for it to be used to supplement a claim.
Oh well, I am not going to try to help that person out by supplying a scripture, since I don't believe in scripture only.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Protestantism, Catholicism, Ortodoxism, Anglicanism

If you had to convert to Christianity, which direction within Christianity would you have chosen? And why?
Probably Anglicanism (or shall I just call them Episcopals?), since they have the best overall understanding of the need for laicism.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Protestantism, Catholicism, Ortodoxism, Anglicanism

I would never in a million years become a Christian. However, if I ever did, it would have to be either Eastern Orthodoxy or Catholicism because those are the two branches that trace back in a direct line to the churches established by the Apostles. I prefer Orthodoxy's stronger tradition against having a pope, but the problem with Orthodoxy is that each church is territorial rather than universal. Both also have an oral tradition that assists them in interpreting ambiguous ideas in their scriptures, which makes practical sense to me. Look at how Protestantism fractures into tens of thousands of denominations directly due to that they insist on Bible only. And Anglicanism... A sect begun by a man who wanted a divorce? I'm supposed to take that seriously?

joelr

Yes, I went down that rabbit hole briefly when I tried translating some passages from the Greek. The Greek words can have a few different understandings. Sometimes not significant, sometimes it was and you have to pick the "better" understanding according to whatever reasoning you might have.

That started to seem a bit pointless though because you are interpreting from Greek to English kind of arbitrarily. What they're saying compounds the problem ten fold.
Yes it does, he really puts it in perspective.