• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question for those who reject biological evolution

leroy

We have done so many times. As I pointed out the language that was used told us that you were wrong in your conclusions. Same "loci" does not mean "same place." The language alone told you that. This is why context matters. But since you never looked up the term yourself I will do so for you:

"In genetics, a locus (pl.: loci) is a specific, fixed position on a chromosome where a particular gene or genetic marker is located.[1]"

In other words the same gene on the same chromosome means same locus. Finding that is evidence of common descent. No one has been debating against that since we are talking mammals here. They have a relatively recent common ancestor probably less than 65 million years ago.

But what exactly is a locus of a gene? They give an example:

"A range of loci is specified in a similar way. For example, the locus of gene OCA1 may be written "11q1.4-q2.1", meaning it is on the long arm of chromosome 11, somewhere in the range from sub-band 4 of region 1 to sub-band 1 of region 2."

The locus of a gene is where it is found on the chromosome. But the articles are about mutations within the genes. Genes are easily tens of thousands of nucleons in length.

Another article that says that the locus is just the location of the gene. It is not saying a specific spot on gene:

And yet another one:

You kept misinterpreting "locus" as being a specific spot on a gene after it was explained to you why it did not mean that. You had already lost due to the context that was used. You should have looked up the term yourself. But then you would have seen that you were wrong so I understand why you avoid reliable sites.

mmm
"A locus is a section of a deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sequence and can be a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP), a gene or a larger region of DNA sequence."Locus - Mendelian randomization dictionary

So obviosuly locous could be a point in a specific gene......................and sicne the authors of the articles are concerned with Variations within specific genes, they are obviously taking about specific points in genes

but even more important (from the article)
and recent results from several genes have suggested that this phenomenon is powerful enough to also drive recurrent evolution at the sequence level6,7,8,9. Where homoplasious substitutions do occur these have long been considered the result of neutral processes. However, recent studies have demonstrated that adaptive convergent sequence evolution can be detected in vertebrates using statistical methods that model parallel evolutionhttps://www.nature.com/articles/nature12511

As you have been told in the past “homoplasious substitutions” are the actual words that scientists use to refer when 2 different linages get the same substitutions independently. (same substitutios = same mutatios)

"A homoplasy defines when the same substitution occurs multiple times independently in separate evolutionary lineages
1"

So according to the article bats and dolphins had the same substitutions at the same nucleotides from the same genes……..there is no question about this

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Get it through your head, we are not the ones making mistakes it is your lack of understanding of evolution and the English language that is responsible for your mistaken ideas.
Wow.

leroy

More projection and false claims. Once again, I supported my claims with the context of the articles that you provided. You never supported your claims. And as you now should know you were wrong.

As usual the false claims about others came from you.
So let’s make a summary of your arguemnts

1 convergent necessarily means “not the same” (my reply: you never supported that assertion)

2 Locus doesn’t mean the same Spot (my reply: yes sometimes it does mean same spot (same nucleotide) as was shown by my source……..

3 If my interpretation of the article is true, then evolution would be falsified, (my reply: so what? arguments are not wrong just because you don’t like the implications, besides only your own personal and ignorant interpretation of the TOE would be falsified, the current model can account for this type of discordances

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So let’s make a summary of your arguemnts

1 convergent necessarily means “not the same” (my reply: you never supported that assertion)

No, that has been supported. Do you really need a source that tells you that a dolphin is different from a shark and that both are different from a mosasaur? If you want to admit to being that ignorant I will gladly show you that they are not the same.
2 Locus doesn’t mean the same Spot (my reply: yes sometimes it does mean same spot (same nucleotide) as was shown by my source……..

That was supported yesterday. And once again, the context told you that your interpretation was wrong.
3 If my interpretation of the article is true, then evolution would be falsified, (my reply: so what? arguments are not wrong just because you don’t like the implications, besides only your own personal and ignorant interpretation of the TOE would be falsified, the current model can account for this type of discordances
Now you are quote mining. You know better than that. Try again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
mmm
"A locus is a section of a deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sequence and can be a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP), a gene or a larger region of DNA sequence."Locus - Mendelian randomization dictionary

So obviosuly locous could be a point in a specific gene......................and sicne the authors of the articles are concerned with Variations within specific genes, they are obviously taking about specific points in genes

but even more important (from the article)
and recent results from several genes have suggested that this phenomenon is powerful enough to also drive recurrent evolution at the sequence level6,7,8,9. Where homoplasious substitutions do occur these have long been considered the result of neutral processes. However, recent studies have demonstrated that adaptive convergent sequence evolution can be detected in vertebrates using statistical methods that model parallel evolutionhttps://www.nature.com/articles/nature12511

As you have been told in the past “homoplasious substitutions” are the actual words that scientists use to refer when 2 different linages get the same substitutions independently. (same substitutios = same mutatios)

"A homoplasy defines when the same substitution occurs multiple times independently in separate evolutionary lineages
1"

So according to the article bats and dolphins had the same substitutions at the same nucleotides from the same genes……..there is no question about this
Go get your original article and link it again.

leroy

leroy

No, that has been supported. Do you really need a source that tells you that a dolphin is different from a shark and that both are different from a mosasaur? If you want to admit to being that ignorant I will gladly show you that they are not the same.
No it was not supported, even by your own admition, you didn’t support it because I was “impolite”

There are many levels/types of convergent evolution, including convergent evolution at the DNA level (same nucleotides)

"Convergence occurs at the level of DNA and the amino acid sequences produced by translating structural genes into proteins. Studies have found convergence in amino acid sequences in echolocating bats and the dolphin;[26] among marine mammals;[27] between giant and red pandas;[28] and between the thylacine and canids.[29] Convergence has also been detected in a type of non-coding DNA, cis-regulatory elements, such as in their rates of evolution; this could indicate either positive selection or relaxed purifying selection.[30][31]

it is interesting that the author of that wiki article also had the same interpretation than me.......... so National geographic AIG and wikipedial all agree with me................ seems like a very evil conspiracy against you-.

"As a sensory adaptation, echolocation has evolved separately in cetaceans (dolphins and whales) and bats, but from the same genetic mutations"Convergent evolution - Wikipedia

"
Do you really need a source that tells you that a dolphin is different from a shark and that both are different from a mosasaur

No I need a source that shows that always and necessarily convergent means “not the same” which is the claim that you made

That was supported yesterday. And once again, the context told you that your interpretation was wrong.
Yes and you where refuted………. To the point that you have ignored my refutation twice

Last edited:

Pogo

No it was not supported, even by your own admition, you didn’t support it because I was “impolite”

There are many levels/types of convergent evolution, including convergent evolution at the DNA level (same nucleotides)

"Convergence occurs at the level of DNA and the amino acid sequences produced by translating structural genes into proteins. Studies have found convergence in amino acid sequences in echolocating bats and the dolphin;[26] among marine mammals;[27] between giant and red pandas;[28] and between the thylacine and canids.[29] Convergence has also been detected in a type of non-coding DNA, cis-regulatory elements, such as in their rates of evolution; this could indicate either positive selection or relaxed purifying selection.[30][31]

it is interesting that the author of that wiki article also had the same interpretation than me.......... so National geographic AIG and wikipedial all agree with me................ seems like a very evil conspiracy against you-.

"As a sensory adaptation, echolocation has evolved separately in cetaceans (dolphins and whales) and bats, but from the same genetic mutations"Convergent evolution - Wikipedia

"

No I need a source that shows that always and necessarily convergent means “not the same” which is the claim that you made

Yes and you where refuted………. To the point that you have ignored my refutation twice
Prooftext

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the academic journal, see Prooftexts (journal).
A proof text is a passage of scripture presented as proof for a theological doctrine, belief, or principle.[1] Prooftexting (sometimes "proof-texting" or "proof texting") is the practice of using quotations from a document, either for the purpose of exegesis, or to establish a proposition in eisegesis (introducing one's own presuppositions, agendas, or biases). Such quotes may not accurately reflect the original intent of the author,[2] and a document quoted in such a manner, when read as a whole, may not support the proposition for which it was cited.[3][4][5][6] The term has currency primarily in theological and exegetical circles.

Great, now you have learned how to proof text an extremely common fallacy amongst the religious.
Your ignorance and arrogance knows no bounds.

leroy

"

Still waiting Your reply or your admition that echolocation has evolved separately in cetaceans (dolphins and whales) and bats, in part from the same genetic mutations. @Subduction Zone

Pogo

"

The actual paper that the Wikipedia article refers to which has genetic trees based on the prestin protein which by their very existence disprove your same gene argument.

leroy

well then you will show us these same sequences of mutations. LOL
My mistake I forgot that you don't accept the testimony of scientists in peer reviewed papers as evidence.... So no I don't have evidence

leroy

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I didn't made a same gene argument.....once again you are lying and making things up
Grateful if you point me to the post where you made whatever argument it is that you made instead.

Or are you merely asserting?

leroy

Grateful if you point me to the post where you made whatever argument it is that you made instead.

Or are you merely asserting?
Te claim is that ancient toothed whales like dolphins and bats had the same mutations independently in genes that are belived to be related to echolocation these utations are called homoplasious substitutions
My support Support ( @Pogo Denies that bats and dolphins suffered from the same mutations...... lets see if he can support his claim)

Articles that support my claim

A wiki article

As a sensory adaptation, echolocation has evolved separately in cetaceans (dolphins and whales) and bats, but from the same genetic mutations"Convergent evolution - Wikipedia

A peer reviewed article
Where homoplasious substitutions do occur these have long been considered the result of neutral processes. However, recent studies have demonstrated that adaptive convergent sequence evolution can be detected in vertebrates using statistical methods that model parallel evolution9,10

A National geographic article
The echolocation abilities of bats and whales, though different in their details, rely on the same changes to the same gene – Prestin