• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respectfully

Brightfeather

I'm not sure how many First Nation's people log onto this forum or read the posts, but I was curious about something... As far as I know, I have no Native Blood. From what I understand I am mostly Scott-Irish, English, and a little German. However, I feel I have lived many lives and actually have some memories of previous experiences. I feel a very close tie spiritually speaking to the Apache people. I am currently in Iraq and feel this time away from my home is something like a spiritual/vision related journey. In fact, I clearly remember a vision where I was gifted with my name, the one I use here, by Great Eagle. Obviously, a personal vision and very beautiful, but not one I really want to go into great depth in a public forum.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is this, I don't want to claim something I am not (at least by blood) and or disrespect those people. I feel a close tie to what I can only believe are Apache spirits and to the land in general and have finally found my faith. It's not a religion to me, because I feel religion is more of a dogmatic faith where you go to a house of worship. This is more something that pervades my every moment and my soul. I was wondering if claiming a spiritual tie, or the ties of a past life, and this faith and what comes with it would be seen as disrespectful coming from a "white woman"? I am not trying to make a claim to join a tribe or anything like that, but I can't deny the feeling I get of a deep past connection. It's not my intent to be a "poser" or be of this lifestyle because it's trendy or popular. Just wondering how to go about this in the most respectful manner, and if by claiming this I am offending anyone. Any input would be great.

Many thanks.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I have no Native blood either, but I feel close to the Wampanoags. A member here, painted wolf, once told me: "if your heart is red, that is good enough for many elders." :)

PureX

Veteran Member
I would also suggest going to some pow-wows. I don't know any Apache people, but I have friends among the Navajos, and they seem to me to be quite open to outsiders who are seriously and respectfully curious. You may find that you have friends among them that you didn't know you have. And wouldn't that be a great thing!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I almost forgot to add... when talking to people at a pow-wow, use your birth name.
If you find an elder, or someone you can really trust then talk about having a vision where you are given a name.

Names are very important... as are visions... generally you keep them personal as they hold powerful medicine.

For example, the only place I go by "painted wolf" is on the internet...

wa:do