• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Safe Sex?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As to the story it appears that is the dog breed is what we call Pit Bulls over here. And this is the last year that one can buy them legally in Wales. (Whales? No, them are those there big sea cows). Dang I would not want a pit bull chomping down on me while I was trying to enjoy myself.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As to the story it appears that is the dog breed is what we call Pit Bulls over here. And this is the last year that one can buy them legally in Wales. (Whales? No, them are those there big sea cows). Dang I would not want a pit bull chomping down on me while I was trying to enjoy myself.

I used to clarify "Wales, the country not the fish"
Yes i know whales are not fish but i was only child at the time.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Have you tried? Dogs can be very protective and will intervene when people fight. It's just that they sometimes mistake for a fight what isn't.
It means that that man was like a sex machine?
Like a jackhammer?

Lucky that woman!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As mentioned, this breed (XL Bully) is or will be banned in the UK (or parts of) due to a seemingly disproportionate amount of aggression from the breed, including deaths of children - whether this is justified or not. It might be that the dog felt that the female was being attacked by the man, but as per many dogs, one can't know what they will do in every particular circumstance because it is impossible to know in advance, and the more powerful the dog, then the more likely any injuries will be so as to cause possible deaths.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As mentioned, this breed (XL Bully) is or will be banned in the UK (or parts of) due to a seemingly disproportionate amount of aggression from the breed, including deaths of children - whether this is justified or not. It might be that the dog felt that the female was being attacked by the man, but as per many dogs, one can't know what they will do in every particular circumstance because it is impossible to know in advance, and the more powerful the dog, then the more likely any injuries will be so as to cause possible deaths.
I perfectly agree with you. It's useless that we try to find a logic in this dog's attacks. There are no logical reasons. It's just genetic aggressiveness.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I perfectly agree with you. It's useless that we try to find a logic in this dog's attacks. There are no logical reasons. It's just genetic aggressiveness.
I think there is a common belief, and which might be true, that such dogs are owned for their protective value in defending owners or children of such, but as with any such dogs their aggression can't necessarily be controlled - and hence why, as with so many dogs, the owners themselves or others known to them are often attacked. If the owners were liable and went to prison appropriately - being responsible for any actions carried out by a dog - then perhaps fewer people would own them.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Often? That's not been my experience at all. Pitbulls can be dangerous if they are abused or neglected, but in a good home with thoughtful owners they can be wonderful, loyal, and trustworthy companions
Sufficient to be a danger perhaps - given one can't anticipate all circumstances. Like a dog getting angry when a small child doesn't appreciate how much teasing or whatever a dog can take. They have attacked babies too.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think there is a common belief, and which might be true, that such dogs are owned for their protective value in defending owners or children of such, but as with any such dogs their aggression can't necessarily be controlled - and hence why, as with so many dogs, the owners themselves or others known to them are often attacked. If the owners were liable and went to prison appropriately - being responsible for any actions carried out by a dog - then perhaps fewer people would own them.
A German Shepherd can do that. Even a Dalmatian can do that.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Sufficient to be a danger perhaps - given one can't anticipate all circumstances. Like a dog getting angry when a small child doesn't appreciate how much teasing or whatever a dog can take. They have attacked babies too.

Ok. I'm just telling you my own experiences being around pitbulls, and I think they are great dogs. They have their flaws, but I feel they are often misjudged

If you have a certain breed of dog constantly being used in dog fighting, especially when people adopt a dog that used to be used in dog fighting, I guarantee you will find a lot of stories where this certain breed of dog attacks people. There's also a lot of false stories and urban myths surrounding pitbulls that often times go unchallenged. There's usually two sides of a story, and people are quick to default to fear instead of seeking understanding

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A German Shepherd can do that. Even a Dalmatian can do that.
Of course, but seemingly those obliged to look at such incidents have come to the view that the XL Bully breed is especially dangerous, and hence why it might be banned to own in the future, in some parts of the UK.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Often? That's not been my experience at all. Pitbulls can be dangerous if they are abused or neglected, but in a good home with thoughtful owners they can be wonderful, loyal, and trustworthy companions
Yep. I've rarely seen a better family dog than a Bulldog. (Especially the French variant.) They are very loyal and known to guard and protect especially children. And they are very patient with the human pups.
But any breed can be dangerous in the wrong company. And it's not the dog breed that shouldn't be owned by anyone, it's the human breed that shouldn't own any dogs.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Dog attack victims, academics and professionals who publicly support the incoming ban on American XL bullies have received abuse at home, work and online in what has been labelled a “weird culture war”. The UK government announced in September that the breed will be added to the list banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 after a rise in attacks and fatalities. From 31 December it will be against the law to sell, abandon or let stray, give away, breed or have in public without a lead and muzzle an XL bully, and from 1 February it will be a criminal offence to own one of the dogs in England and Wales without a certificate of exemption. Animal welfare groups have argued against the ban, saying the Dangerous Dogs Act has not stopped a rise in attacks since its introduction – and claim that important work within the UK government to address wider problems has stalled due to the focus on the XL bully ban. But groups such as the Centre for Evidence-Based Regulation of Dangerous Dogs (CEBRDD), a volunteer organisation composed of professionals and academics, have argued there is evidence that the breed has a propensity for violence. Their research shows that between 2001 and 2021 there were an average of three fatalities a year. However, in 2022, 10 people were killed, four of whom were children, most of which were linked to XL bullies. As of August, as discussions of a ban were picking up pace, there had already been five deaths. In one week in July, one dog a day was killed by an American bully. The CEBRDD found that the breed is estimated to represent less than 1% of UK dogs but was behind 44% of attacks in 2023 and 75% of deaths in the last three years. The group submitted a research report to the UK government ahead of the ban being announced.

As mentioned later in the article, the banning of breeds might not be the best solution, but what actually is - to prevent the number of attacks by dogs on other dogs, on adults, and on children? Given that this is a serious issue, especially when lives are lost.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
As mentioned later in the article, the banning of breeds might not be the best solution, but what actually is - to prevent the number of attacks by dogs on other dogs, on adults, and on children? Given that this is a serious issue, especially when lives are lost.

I can't say, given I'm not from the UK and I don't know what cultural stuff you guys are dealing with over there. The issue has obviously been politicized though and this one sided article definitely aims to stir fear. It's a reactionary piece that looks like it comes straight out of the pages of fox news, and that sets off my BS detectors for sure. Here's a more balanced article that shares some opposing views

Breed restrictions are not entirely uncommon in the U.S. and are sometimes written into housing contracts, insurance plans and city ordinances. Sometimes, the restrictions reach a state level, something that organizations like the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) actively fight against.

According to ALDF Strategic Legislative Affairs Manager Alicia Prygoski, the reason experts fight these blanket bans is that they are ineffective and ignore other, more successful techniques.

"Restricting dogs based on their appearance or perceived breed is a drastic reactionary policy move that is not effective and it has the potential to tear families apart and put countless dogs and responsible guardians at risk," she told USA TODAY. "There are safe alternatives, there are alternatives that will help facilitate safer communities and protect both dogs and humans."

Prygosk shared that instead of breed restrictive policy, lawmakers should focus on education, guardian responsibility and breed neutral dangerous dog laws. These would entail things like enforcing leash laws, targeting reckless dog owners and breeders, protecting animals against abuse and fighting, and bolstering community education and sources around proper and responsible dog ownership.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I can't say, given I'm not from the UK and I don't know what cultural stuff you guys are dealing with over there. The issue has obviously been politicized though and this one sided article definitely aims to stir fear. It's a reactionary piece that looks like it comes straight out of the pages of fox news, and that sets off my BS detectors for sure. Here's a more balanced article that shares some opposing views

Breed restrictions are not entirely uncommon in the U.S. and are sometimes written into housing contracts, insurance plans and city ordinances. Sometimes, the restrictions reach a state level, something that organizations like the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) actively fight against.

According to ALDF Strategic Legislative Affairs Manager Alicia Prygoski, the reason experts fight these blanket bans is that they are ineffective and ignore other, more successful techniques.

"Restricting dogs based on their appearance or perceived breed is a drastic reactionary policy move that is not effective and it has the potential to tear families apart and put countless dogs and responsible guardians at risk," she told USA TODAY. "There are safe alternatives, there are alternatives that will help facilitate safer communities and protect both dogs and humans."

Prygosk shared that instead of breed restrictive policy, lawmakers should focus on education, guardian responsibility and breed neutral dangerous dog laws. These would entail things like enforcing leash laws, targeting reckless dog owners and breeders, protecting animals against abuse and fighting, and bolstering community education and sources around proper and responsible dog ownership.
The Guardian is hardly in the same category as Fox News, and is well respected here actually - by the thinking classes at least. :D

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Even more bad press for the poor wee animals:

A man was forced to get eight stitches to his manhood after his testicles were ripped off by a seven stone XL Bully. The man, who did not reveal his name, was rushed to hospital in Chesterfield, Derbyshire on October 10 when the dog latched on to his genitals. The man’s partner Lynsey Kelly told The Sun: ‘He was writhing on the floor and said ‘it’s grabbed my b*****ks’.” But even as the dog, named Envie, stopped attacking the man, he then turned onto Lynsey and bit her shin. She locked the dog into a room and was rushed to hospital, and is still recovering from her injuries. Envie has now been euthanised after attacking the couple, and the man’s balls have been reattached to him.