• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School, NYPD 'cannot guarantee Jewish students' safety - Columbia rabbi tells Jewish students to leave Campus

Should Jewish students exit college campues

• Total voters

Clizby Wampuscat

To believe that killing so many innocent civilians,
destroying so many homes, killing so many
children, maiming so many more, using starvation
as a weapon, etc is really about defeating Hamas
is a delusion at best.
Israel's brutality & death dealing will only inspire
more violence.
Were you saying this after oct 7th? That is what inspired these deaths and hamas is to blame. You don’t understand that a 2 state solution is the death of Israel, a ceasefire is the death of more Israelites, Israel will live in peace but they are not allowed to, they are not bent on wiping out all palestinians, where have they said this? They have had enough of the killing by hamas and other terror groups. Hamas GOAL IS TO KILL ALL JEWS. it is what their leaders are saying and many Palestinians support. There is no moral equivalence.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Columbia rabbi tells Jewish students to leave campus, warns that school, NYPD 'cannot guarantee your safety' (link):

Rabbin Buecher appears to be a responsible, middle-of-the-road Rabbi. Are pogroms, or a Hamas-style attack on the way? Columbia and the NYPD appear to be hitting the "protesting" students with a wet noodle.
My own "vote" if I have one would be for the Jewish students, and others, to leave campus promptly. It will be impossible for meaningful final exams to be administered. It is high time that Jewish donors park their money elsewhere. The temples of higher education are being defiled. This situation needs to be brought to a head, but not with violence.

Well, they shouldn't have to retreat from the campus, but it would behoove the authorities to do a better job at maintaining law and order. If the police can't or won't do that, then private groups may improvise their own ways. Some kind of underground or vigilante groups might crop up. I heard that Curtis Sliwa has been back in the news recently. He has a rather odious reputation, but his kind abound throughout America.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Nope. Genocide is the deliberate attempt to completely exterminate a tribe, nationality, race, or religion. The IDF is NOT trying to exterminate the Palestinians. It is trying to destroy Hamas, which is a very different thing. As long as you continue to accuse the IDF of genocide, you are out of touch with what is really going on.
You obviously don't know the definition of genocide, look it up, get educated

Heyo

Veteran Member
**mod edit**There is no effort on the part of the IDF to exterminate all Gazans. They target Hamas, not Gazan civilians.
Then they have very bad aim.
What you need to do is hold Hamas responsible for embedding among civilians, which directly leads to civilian deaths.
We are getting way off topic. As I said, this is not about the Israel-Palestine conflict, in which I have no sympathies. They have been at each other's throats for ages, and there are no heroes. (And no intention to stop.)
This is about that conflict poisoning the rest of the world and dragging nations and people into it on one side or the other.
You get Palestine sympathizers to attack Jews, who aren't Israelis, and may not even support Israel.
You get Israel sympathizer to attack civil liberties like the right to protest their government for militarily supporting Israel (and are in danger to be drawn into other conflicts started by Israel).

What I call for, is to stop radicalization. When you take a side, you either support a terrorist organization or a government committing war crimes. You don't look good either way.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You obviously don't know the definition of genocide, look it up, get educated
Here is from the dictionary, exactly as I stated it to be:

gen·o·cide
/ˈjenəˌsīd/
noun
the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.
"a campaign of genocide"

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The outright audacity of many Jews and other Israel supporters in defending the IDF's policies never ceases to amaze and disgust me

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Not at all. They are doing a very good job at targeting Hamas. The problem is that Hamas embeds among civilians. You should direct your attention there.
"You've just bombed a hospital!"
"Correction: I just bombed a terrorist. There was a terrorist in the hospital. My intention is to target terrorists."
"But you also killed hundreds of civilians!"
"But I got the terrorist! Therefore, I am doing a good job."

Tell me, if I were to throw a grenade into you family home in order to kill a terrorist hiding there, would you blame the death of your family solely on the terrorist hiding there, or would you also blame me for showing a complete and total lack of regard for your family's lives in pursuit of a terrorist?

Okay, on second thought, this probably isn't the place to litigate this. But to drag it back to the topic: do you think people who have concluded that maybe Israel's handling of Gaza equates to the above, and that their response and level of violence is unjustified, don't have a right to protest? I understand that there are reports of explicit anti-Semitism from protesters, and those should be investigated and dealt with appropriately, but you don't curtail the right to protest because of a few outliers, any more than the entire University should be shut down because of the outrageous, defamatory and false statements of its professors against the protesters.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm sorry but I really see no excuse for these universities to allow this to go on. When a protest does not have approval, and the students refuse to disperse, you call the cops and have them all arrested.

Comumbia University's campus is criss-crossed by public streets. In most or all of the protest photos I've seen, the protestors are in the public right-of-way and not on private property.

Anyone is entitled to be on a public right-of-way and protest on it.

When someone calls for the genocide of Jews or promotes a known terrorist group, you expel them. The problem here is not that this is too big for universities to handle, but that the universities are simply not willing to do what it takes.

Has anyone done either of these things? I scrolled through a lot of photos and couldn't find any signs to that effect. It may be happening somewhere, but if you can point me to evidence, that would be useful.

And you really expect a university to expel a student in less than what... a week or two? This seems unrealistic even when the student's identity has been absolutely confirmed and it's completely clear that they did the thing they're accused of.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hamas GOAL IS TO KILL ALL JEWS. it is what their leaders are saying and many Palestinians support. There is no moral equivalence.
It's absolutely wild to me when people argue that they can't support Hamas because of a future genocide they imagine Hamas committing, and instead support the group that's carrying out an actual genocide right now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You lost your credibility when you defended calling for genocide and tried to justify the atrocities of 10/7. I no longer read or respond to your posts.
It appears that the fervent Zionist cannot comprehend
that others seek to understand history's role in creating
this long simmering conflict. They see instead support
for Palestinians, & legitimate criticism of Israel as defending
terrorism.
This is a delusion....a very dangerous fanaticism. There can
be no solution...no peace or justice so long as they view
Palestinians / Muslims as sub-human demons to war with,
but never to reason with.
This is how ordinarily decent human beings can set aside
their values to pursue oppression, theft, & genocide.
Israel & its Christian enablers need to recover their
humanity, just as Germany did after its Nazi phase.

You say that you no longer read my posts. (You quote
only the first word.) And yet...you respond with such
prejudice & mistaken hostile objection.
I advise....
Read & understand.
Only then respond.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Were you saying this after oct 7th?
Before and after.
That is what inspired these deaths and hamas is to blame. You don’t understand that a 2 state solution is the death of Israel, a ceasefire is the death of more Israelites, Israel will live in peace but they are not allowed to, they are not bent on wiping out all palestinians, where have they said this? They have had enough of the killing by hamas and other terror groups. Hamas GOAL IS TO KILL ALL JEWS. it is what their leaders are saying and many Palestinians support. There is no moral equivalence.
I see that you've drunk the Kool-Aid.
You see only that which justifies genocide
of those "human animals".
Your intent to continue to rain down death
& destruction on the populace will only
inspire more violent resistance.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Because they don't have a clear head. They don't understand what the word genocide means, nor are they willing to admit that genocide is not the intention of the IDF.

To reiterate Clizby's point, where do you see those who support Israel and the IDF calling for the deaths of all Palestinians?

Again, you are mischaracterizing what is actually going on. The IDF is NOT targeting civilians.

I think it is highly dismissive to brush aside the perspectives of those who see the IDF's actions in a similar light as the actions of violent, militant organizations considering that the IDF has so far killed around 30 times as many people as Hamas did on October 7. If you can see why someone would vehemently condemn the perpetrators of a massacre of 1,200 people, the vast majority of whom were civilians, it shouldn't be difficult to see why the same applies to the perpetrators of ongoing massacres that have killed over 34,000 people, the vast majority of whom have also been civilians and about half of whom have been children.

Carrying out strikes where it is a foreseeable, certain result that the majority of those killed will be civilians is identical in terms of outcome to carrying out such a strike specifically to kill the civilians. The results are highly predictable beforehand, and the effects on those who have lost their lives or lost family or friends are the exact same.

As for calling for the killing of all Palestinian civilians, there is no shortage of militaristic rhetoric disregarding the humanity and safety of them, from government officials, no less:

Far from not "[having] a clear head," many people don't see any difference in value between the lives of Israeli civilians and those of Gazan ones, consequently seeing both Hamas and the IDF as complicit in civilian bloodshed. One of your earlier posts contained this part:

You have people actively promoting genocide and promoting a known terrorist group, for crying out loud.

Anyone promoting genocide and terrorism should be condemned for doing so—and that includes government officials. I see no reason that supporting the military that has killed over 34,000 people should be treated differently from supporting any other attacks on civilians, including the October 7 massacre. This relates to the core of this thread, which is how universities should handle such speech on campuses. I believe that university presidents should ensure consistent and thorough addressing of the problem rather than merely throw a bandage at it by addressing only a part thereof.

Clizby Wampuscat

It's absolutely wild to me when people argue that they can't support Hamas because of a future genocide they imagine Hamas committing, and instead support the group that's carrying out an actual genocide right now.
Article 2 of the (Genocide) Convention defines genocide as:

... any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group

Israel is trying to destroy Hamas, just like the west destroyed the Nazis. That is not genocide. Hamas is a terrorist group and not a national, ethnic, racial or religious group. If destroying an enemy that would destroy you if they could is genocide, then any war is genocide.

Clizby Wampuscat

Before and after.

I see that you've drunk the Kool-Aid.
You see only that which justifies genocide
of those "human animals".
Your intent to continue to rain down death
& destruction on the populace will only
inspire more violent resistance.
Just like Hamas' raining down death and destruction on Israel prompted this response. Why do you take the side of Hamas? You know very well that if Hamas had the firepower Israel does they would destroy Israel. That is what the leaders have said for 40+ years now. The violence will only stop if Hamas is destroyed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Article 2 of the (Genocide) Convention defines genocide as:

... any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group

Israel is trying to destroy Hamas, just like the west destroyed the Nazis. That is not genocide. Hamas is a terrorist group and not a national, ethnic, racial or religious group. If destroying an enemy that would destroy you if they could is genocide, then any war is genocide.

That's the Israeli government's official line, but it can't be reconciled with what's happening in Gaza. It is a genocide.

The IDF is killing civilians in Gaza at a rate far beyond that of any other recent conflict. Mass graves are being found filled with Palestinians killed by the IDF whose hands were bound by zip ties.

1.7 million Palestinians have been displaced; meanwhile, the Israeli government has approved seizure of land for thousands of new illegal Israeli homes and right-wing Israeli political groups are calling for the full-scale permanent displacement of the Palestinian people from Gaza.

This is ethnic cleansing. This is genocide.