• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists say...

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Mutations don't accumulate like grains of sand to form beaches like new species... It doesn't work like that.

It indeed doesn't work like that, as has been pointed out to you already.

It's more like how taking one step at a time, the process of walking covers a few meters over a shot time, but miles over a longer time.

Mutations have limits that they cannot exceed; If you had basic knowledge of genetics you would know.

Single mutations do, yes. Just like single steps. When walking, you can't cover 1 kilometer in just 2 steps. But you can in 1100~ steps.
You are being asked about the accumulation of mutations (or steps).
Not about single mutations (or steps).

It's like the game of Jenga: there is a point where you can no longer place a block on top of the last one, because everything falls down and you have to start over.

No, it's nothing like that at all.

You will never see new kinds (compared to wider classifications, like phylum or others) of life that have not existed since the origin of creation.
You will indeed not see that.
If you would, evolution would be disproven. :shrug:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God revealed it to him. That is how any person may know things that are not otherwise, at a given time, knowable.
Beginnings are familiar aspects of lived reality. Stories and legends almost always presuppose beginnings. Such a presumption can hardly be attributed to special revelation.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mutations don't accumulate like grains of sand to form beaches like new species... It doesn't work like that. Mutations have limits that they cannot exceed; If you had basic knowledge of genetics you would know. It's like the game of Jenga: there is a point where you can no longer place a block on top of the last one, because everything falls down and you have to start over.
Mutations and other selections do accumulate. Any genetic variations retained by natural selection accumulate -- that's what selection is; preferential accumulation of genetic variations, whether from mutation or reproductive variation.
This is how God's creation works from the beginning, and that is why all the original animal species subsist in some of their variants, and life continues to reproduce as it was stipulated from the beginning: information continues to be transmitted through DNA from parents to descendants.

You will never see new kinds (compared to wider classifications, like phylum or others) of life that have not existed since the origin of creation.
What width of classification does "kind" correspond to? Why can't changes creating narrow changes not accumulate into wider, phyletic changes? Where's the barrier?
So you say all the current phyla existed from the beginning; there were mammals and birds three billion years ago?
There must have been quite a remarkable menagerie back then.

So why do we see no fossil evidence of this? Why does all the evidence indicate gradual change over time? Why do the people who study and understand this evidence believe it reflects evolution rather than magic?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God revealed it to him. That is how any person may know things that are not otherwise, at a given time, knowable.
But those claiming revelation make thousands of different, contradictory claims. This doesn't evidence a reliable method.
Scientific findings, on the other hand, are consistent and produce consensus.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm thinking...I understand if a person says he believes there is no God. he means he believes no God exists, but I do not understand what it means to lack belief in a God. Can you please explain?
How is that hard to grasp?
If there's little evidence for a thing it might or might not exist.

At one time both gorillas and unicorns were thought to be mere legends.
Some people declared that both positively didn't exist. They were the "no god exists" equivalents.
Others said they'd withhold belief either way, till more evidence came to light. These were the "lack either belief or disbelief" equivalents.
What's hard to understand?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Prove it. You do not just get to make a claim. Meanwhile scientists can measure such changes. They can support their claims with scientific evidence. You simply handwave and claim that unsupported nonsense is fact.
Show the evidence and back up your claims.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Prove it. You do not just get to make a claim. Meanwhile scientists can measure such changes. They can support their claims with scientific evidence. You simply handwave and claim that unsupported nonsense is fact.
Exactly.

Of course, no matter what evidence you provide, it will get hand-waved away. Meanwhile, not even an attempt to support anything claimed by literalist interpreters (I'm not even sure if literalist even applies).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Please also, back up your claims. Or maybe you don't think you have to since you believe what scientists say. Do you believe this: Doomsday Clock - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
Scientists say the human race is closer than ever to destruction. So, how do you feel about that?
This is a red herring. It has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Using this sort of argument only makes you look silly at best.

It is as if two people were discussing what to have for dinner and you brought up the fact that the cat threw up last night.

YoursTrue

This is a red herring. It has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Using this sort of argument only makes you look silly at best.

It is as if two people were discussing what to have for dinner and you brought up the fact that the cat threw up last night.
So sorry, but your response actually makes you look silly. Further, scientists do say that mankind is closer than ever to destruction. Have a good evening. Further, some people go to church and believe what scientists say. So -- back to the "Doomsday Clock." Go prove or deny. Because maybe your science religious friends are real quiet with that. Each to his own.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So sorry, but your response actually makes you look silly. Further, scientists do say that mankind is closer than ever to destruction. Have a good evening. Further, some people go to church and believe what scientists say. So -- back to the "Doomsday Clock." Go prove or deny. Because maybe your science religious friends are real quiet with that. Each to his own.
Please, you are not even fooling yourself right now.

That you have to stoop so low tells everyone that you are desperate and know that you are wrong.

Have you got an answer yet to the question of : Why do you call your own God a liar?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Please also, back up your claims. Or maybe you don't think you have to since you believe what scientists say. Do you believe this: Doomsday Clock - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
Scientists say the human race is closer than ever to destruction. So, how do you feel about that?
I think that humans and cockroaches will survive. Since necessity is the mother of invention, I assume that when pushed to the brink, we will find some way to survive. However, I don't know that the earth will still be the beautiful place that it is today. I suspect we will go from living in a garden, to living in a cesspool.

YoursTrue

Please, you are not even fooling yourself right now.
That you have to stoop so low tells everyone that you are desperate and know that you are wrong.
Have you got an answer yet to the question of : Why do you call your own God a liar?
You're not making sense, quite frankly. But anyway, ask those people who side and joke around with you who say they go to church or other houses of worship. I suggest for you to learn you do that.

YoursTrue

I think that humans and cockroaches will survive. Since necessity is the mother of invention, I assume that when pushed to the brink, we will find some way to survive. However, I don't know that the earth will still be the beautiful place that it is today. I suspect we will go from living in a garden, to living in a cesspool.
shrug. It doesn't matter what you believe in particular. Because death and destruction are said to be in the future by -- scientists. Many people die for various reasons. And some deaths are easier than others. I do not share your beliefs,but that's ok. Have a good one!

YoursTrue

No, you don't think the earth will be the beautiful place it is today? Aw...that's too bad. I do not share your ideas, but hope you have a good one!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You're not making sense, quite frankly. But anyway, ask those people who side and joke around with you who say they go to church or other houses of worship. I suggest for you to learn you do that.
Too bad that you still are calling your own God a liar. The problem may be that no one else can think for you. And you trust people that are only too happy to lie for Jesus.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What on earth does the "doomsday clock" have to do with the mechanisms of evolution?

Talk about silly ....