• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shrinking t-shirts

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I bought a few tshirts off Amazon and they're larger than I expected. I heard you can boil water on the stove, turn off the stove, and put a tshirt in for a few minutes and then dry it on high heat, then it should shrink.

Is this legitimate? Will it damage design and lettering?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I bought a few tshirts off Amazon and they're larger than I expected. I heard you can boil water on the stove, turn off the stove, and put a tshirt in for a few minutes and then dry it on high heat, then it should shrink.

That might do it. I have also found that putting tshirts in a drawer for twenty years will shrink them. I don't know how, but shirts form twenty, or even worse forty years ago are much much smaller than they used to be.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

If they're silk-screening, I'd be concerned with the boiling water and high heat damaging it. You might be ahead of the game just returning them and getting the correct size.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I expect t-shirts to be 100% cotton and pre-washed. They won't shrink when boiled.
If they are not 100% cotton, they may shrink - in uneven and unexpected ways.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Why not return them for a different size?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well it's just that it's like an hour drive to the nearest UPS center. I was trying to avoid that but that might be the safest option.
Don't they have an Amazon drop off somewhere nearer? I know you can't walk 15 ft without running into one here. :p

It might be worth your while to google it. Sometimes they show up in places you wouldn't expect.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My husband claims any time I accidentally throw his shirts in the dryer, they shrink.

I'm not sure if its true or not. Sometimes, if I find I've accidentally dried one of his shirts, I throw it back in the washing machine so its all wet again, and then put it on the line, and he never knows the difference.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Ive shrunk loads of stuff by washing it too hot.

And what's wrong with baggy tee shirts? I like.

Or can you return them to Amazon and buy some the correct size?