• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soda, coke or pop. What do you call it.

We Never Know

No Slack
I sometimes call it "liquid candy." Because there's so much darned sugar in it, it is basically liquid candy.

Referring to it as liquid candy has been quite effective in getting me to only have it very, very occasionally as an adult.
I didn't drink any for around 5 years. But 2 years ago I went back to drinking one or two 20oz Mt Dews per week. Its my coffee lol

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Soder. In New England we take the "r" off some words and tack them on others.

"In the summah, we like our soder ice cold."

Edit: My partner (who's from Massachusetts) informs me in no uncertain terms that is a Maine-only thing. "You won't find anyone South of Boston saying crap like that."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
134919L.jpg

Tamino

Interestingly enough, here in Germany we use "soft drinks" quite frequently, but never "pop" or "soda". (But "poppen" is a colloquial term for having sexual intercourse, so perhaps be cautious about asking for a pop in Germany...)
In German it would be Limonaden or Alkoholfreie Getränke. And what I have also heard people use is a summary of the most popular types, kind of like it's a single word: "Cola-Fanta-Sprite"

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Interestingly enough, here in Germany we use "soft drinks" quite frequently, but never "pop" or "soda". (But "poppen" is a colloquial term for having sexual intercourse, so perhaps be cautious about asking for a pop in Germany...)
In German it would be Limonaden or Alkoholfreie Getränke. And what I have also heard people use is a summary of the most popular types, kind of like it's a single word: "Cola-Fanta-Sprite"
I can't remember the type of soda I drank so often in Germany but I remember that it had a cola and orange type of label! I lived in Aschaffenburg and it was very, very popular around there. I ordered it pretty often till everywhere I went started carrying sparkling mineral water or mineralwasser as they called it, Sparkling or still but I always ordered sparkling. Anyway, no one carried sweet iced tea and that's what I would usually get in the US, so I had to order a soda or a beer. Of course, with little or no ice.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Pop where I was born and raised. Soda where I live now. And like others I do not drink the stuff. Except for occasionally I splurge and buy a 12 ounce. (355 ml) bottle of the real stuff. Mexican Coke with sugar instead of corn syrup. A small bottle of that costs more than a liter of Coke.

And since it is almost time to Cinco my Mayo I may be buying some. I have a pork carnitas recipe (I know that is redundant) that calls for the "real thing".

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't drink any for around 5 years. But 2 years ago I went back to drinking one or two 20oz Mt Dews per week. Its my coffee lol
That's not so bad. When I was still doing contract work, there was this guy I met who was... quite literally addicted to the sugar and caffeine. I didn't believe that was a really a thing until meeting him. He drank three of them every day and would get serious withdrawal symptoms if he didn't. It was... it wasn't my place to tell him he had a problem, but...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing I would point out regarding the use of the word "soda" is that it works for this song.

To say "Might as well go for a pop" would change the song.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Pop where I was born and raised. Soda where I live now. And like others I do not drink the stuff. Except for occasionally I splurge and buy a 12 ounce. (355 ml) bottle of the real stuff. Mexican Coke with sugar instead of corn syrup. A small bottle of that costs more than a liter of Coke.
Seeing "litre" spelled that way hurts my eyes even more than seeing people call pop "soda."