• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee woman denied abortion after fetus’ ‘brain not attached’ slams state ban

Wandering Monk

I would be willing to bet that the schmittheel lawmakers who passed this crap have family members or mistresses who had abortions.
A Tennessee woman who was denied an abortion despite a fatal abnormality says the state’s anti-abortion laws resulted in her losing an ovary, a fallopian tube and her hopes for a large family.​

“The state of Tennessee took my fertility from me,” Breanna Cecil, 34, told The Independent. She added that state lawmakers “took away my opportunity to have a family like my own biological family because of these horrible laws that they put in place.”​
The mother-of-one said she has not felt the same since her doctor told her in January 2023 that her fetus was diagnosed with acrania, a fatal condition where the fetus has no skull bones.​
Then, 12 weeks pregnant, Ms Cecil was getting her first ultrasound. She attended the appointment alone, so when the doctor told her the fetus was not viable outside the womb, she was left with only asking the doctor what she should do.​
However, she was left with few options. The state’s near-total abortion ban prevents anyone from getting an abortion if there is still a heartbeat - which her fetus still had.​
The law makes no exceptions for fatal conditions and also criminalizes physicians who perform the procedure outside of the allowed exceptions.​

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You know what? A month before she was born, my oldest granddaughter was diagnosed via ultrasound with basically zero kidneys. In fact, the doctors were so sure that she had very underdeveloped kidneys, that they had a doctor lined up to diagnose her IN THE DELIVERY ROOM. My daughter was so upset by all this. Basically it was a death sentence - but after weeks or months. Anyway, long story short - her kidneys were absolutely fine. I mean, completely fine. But we were told they absolutely were not, based on the ultrasound. Also two days before I delivered my son, the doctor told me after measuring my uterus, that the baby weighed 6 pounds. He weighed 9 pounds. I don't think he gained three pounds in two days. I think the doctor was wrong.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You know what? A month before she was born, my oldest granddaughter was diagnosed via ultrasound with basically zero kidneys. In fact, the doctors were so sure that she had very underdeveloped kidneys, that they had a doctor lined up to diagnose her IN THE DELIVERY ROOM. My daughter was so upset by all this. Basically it was a death sentence - but after weeks or months. Anyway, long story short - her kidneys were absolutely fine. I mean, completely fine. But we were told they absolutely were not, based on the ultrasound. Also two days before I delivered my son, the doctor told me after measuring my uterus, that the baby weighed 6 pounds. He weighed 9 pounds. I don't think he gained three pounds in two days. I think the doctor was wrong.
There's no cranium in this case, and she appears to have lost fertility.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This just goes to show that doctors don't know
what they're talking about. Why does anyone
bother to go to them anyway, eh. Politicians
know what's medically & morally best.

Kathryn

The woman in question actually did end up getting an abortion, which was botched, in Chicago where abortion is legal. That is why she lost a fallopian tube and an ovary. In fact, she spent ten days in the hospital recovering. This was in February. She "hasn't been able to get pregnant since" but it hasn't been very long, honestly. I'm genuinely sorry she's going through all this however.

Kathryn

This just goes to show that doctors don't know
what they're talking about. Why does anyone
bother to go to them anyway, eh. Politicians
know what's medically & morally best.
Hey, I'm going to the doctor in less than two weeks!

Kathryn

Oh, by the way, @Revoltingest, I probably sound like the patient from hell, but I actually am not. For instance, I knew I had broken my right elbow when I broke it, and I had to call an ambulance because I was going into shock, which I also knew. I had surgery, which was very complex, and now I have a titanium elbow! I went through weeks and weeks of physical therapy and I recovered very well. You know what - I also didn't encourage my daughter to kick the doctor out of the delivery room. In fact, I wanted my granddaughter to be very well looked over, which she was, thankfully. Nothing wrong with her kidneys at all. My point, which you well understand, is that ultrasounds CAN be misread or whatever. I'll tell you another true story! They couldn't find a heartbeat for my youngest son at all (the one the doctor thought was six pounds but he was nine pounds) so they sent me to get an ultrasound and there that baby was, on the screen, just kicking and waving away! But they told me with very grave expressiuons on their faces that no heartbeat could be found and that since I was spotting, I was probably going to miscarry (which I did not). So in his case, though the ultrasound was right, the doctors were wrong wrong wrong. But often, they are right, and they do have amazing tools so I go.

But you're right - it wouldn't surprise me at all if the lawmakers in question had mistresses who had abortions. Or really, if ANY lawmakers had mistresses who have had abortions.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The woman in question actually did end up getting an abortion, which was botched, in Chicago where abortion is legal. That is why she lost a fallopian tube and an ovary. In fact, she spent ten days in the hospital recovering. This was in February. She "hasn't been able to get pregnant since" but it hasn't been very long, honestly. I'm genuinely sorry she's going through all this however.
The abortion may have been "botched". She had to leave the state to get it. But that was still Tennessee's fault. The later an abortion is the higher the odds are of complications. She should have been able to get an abortion immediately.

As to ultrasounds being misread. That may be true, but not all of them are the same. Some are far more obvious than others. With the mother on her second one when the fetus was more developed even she could see the birth defect with her untrained eyes.

There are times when the decision should be between the woman and her doctor and that is it. The state has no business interfering in something that it cannot give a valid opinion on.

Kathryn

The abortion may have been "botched". She had to leave the state to get it. But that was still Tennessee's fault. The later an abortion is the higher the odds are of complications. She should have been able to get an abortion immediately.

As to ultrasounds being misread. That may be true, but not all of them are the same. Some are far more obvious than others. With the mother on her second one when the fetus was more developed even she could see the birth defect with her untrained eyes.

There are times when the decision should be between the woman and her doctor and that is it. The state has no business interfering in something that it cannot give a valid opinion on.

Even if I agree with you, it may be ignored. I don't know.

By the way, did you know that the Puritans of all people would not allow the state to interfere with marriages?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's obvious lawmakers in Tennessee didn't take into consideration abnormalities when drafting and passing the heartbeat law.

Just as laws are made its also possible for laws to be amenable to accommodate extreme situations.

Hopefully Tennesseans will revisit the law and create valid medical circumstances where an abortion is justified.

Unfortunately the article fails to mention or intentionally omitted documented exceptions in the law that should of applied here under the Human life protection Act.

Snippet.....

Tennessee’s Human Life Protection Act will prohibit the abortion of unborn children after fertilization. This law has an affirmative defense when necessary to save the mother’s life or to prevent irreversible impairment of a major bodily function.

I'd say it sounds like she has a right to sue since ovaries can be construed as being a major bodily function.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I would be willing to bet that the schmittheel lawmakers who passed this crap have family members or mistresses who had abortions.
A Tennessee woman who was denied an abortion despite a fatal abnormality says the state’s anti-abortion laws resulted in her losing an ovary, a fallopian tube and her hopes for a large family.​

“The state of Tennessee took my fertility from me,” Breanna Cecil, 34, told The Independent. She added that state lawmakers “took away my opportunity to have a family like my own biological family because of these horrible laws that they put in place.”​
The mother-of-one said she has not felt the same since her doctor told her in January 2023 that her fetus was diagnosed with acrania, a fatal condition where the fetus has no skull bones.​
Then, 12 weeks pregnant, Ms Cecil was getting her first ultrasound. She attended the appointment alone, so when the doctor told her the fetus was not viable outside the womb, she was left with only asking the doctor what she should do.​
However, she was left with few options. The state’s near-total abortion ban prevents anyone from getting an abortion if there is still a heartbeat - which her fetus still had.​
The law makes no exceptions for fatal conditions and also criminalizes physicians who perform the procedure outside of the allowed exceptions.​
Actually the one who got the heartbeat bill going was not a politician. It was a radio personality and activist who is responsible for this via the faith to action radio show. ..

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Even if I agree with you, it may be ignored. I don't know.

By the way, did you know that the Puritans of all people would not allow the state to interfere with marriages?
How about those that are not married? Sex is an activity that is not at all limited to married people nor does there appear to be a valid reason to do so.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's obvious lawmakers in Tennessee didn't take into consideration abnormalities when drafting and passing the heartbeat law.

Just as laws are made its also possible for laws to be amenable to accommodate extreme situations.

Hopefully Tennesseans will revisit the law and create valid medical circumstances where an abortion is justified.

Unfortunately the article fails to mention or intentionally omitted documented exceptions in the law that should of applied here under the Human life protection Act.

Snippet.....

Tennessee’s Human Life Protection Act will prohibit the abortion of unborn children after fertilization. This law has an affirmative defense when necessary to save the mother’s life or to prevent irreversible impairment of a major bodily function.

I'd say it sounds like she has a right to sue since ovaries can be construed as being a major bodily function.
I do not think that you understand what an "affirmative defense" is. It does not mean that she can sue. It means that if she wanted an abortion in Tennessee that the burden of proof would be upon her and her doctors. Doctors are rightfully afraid of that defense because even if they think that they were right some no nothings could decide that what the doctor did was not right.

The law should be deemed to be unconstitutional just because of that part of it alone. Those that best understand whether they are right or wrong should only be judged by those in the medical community.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh, by the way, @Revoltingest, I probably sound like the patient from hell, but I actually am not.
I didn't think were.
You just have some dubious views.
I'd expect you to be cooperative & polite.
For instance, I knew I had broken my right elbow when I broke it, and I had to call an ambulance because I was going into shock, which I also knew. I had surgery, which was very complex, and now I have a titanium elbow! I went through weeks and weeks of physical therapy and I recovered very well. You know what - I also didn't encourage my daughter to kick the doctor out of the delivery room. In fact, I wanted my granddaughter to be very well looked over, which she was, thankfully. Nothing wrong with her kidneys at all. My point, which you well understand, is that ultrasounds CAN be misread or whatever. I'll tell you another true story! They couldn't find a heartbeat for my youngest son at all (the one the doctor thought was six pounds but he was nine pounds) so they sent me to get an ultrasound and there that baby was, on the screen, just kicking and waving away! But they told me with very grave expressiuons on their faces that no heartbeat could be found and that since I was spotting, I was probably going to miscarry (which I did not). So in his case, though the ultrasound was right, the doctors were wrong wrong wrong. But often, they are right, and they do have amazing tools so I go.
Ain't nobody perfect.
But you're right - it wouldn't surprise me at all if the lawmakers in question had mistresses who had abortions. Or really, if ANY lawmakers had mistresses who have had abortions.
That wasn't my claim,
although it sounds cromulent.