• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Upcoming UK General Election

Altfish

Veteran Member
So, in the next few months our PM has to call a GE, latest I believe is January 2025.

The main runners and riders are: -

• Conservative
  • Green
  • Labour
  • Lib Dems
  • Reform Ltd
In the regions we also have
  • Plaid Cymru (Wales)
  • SNP (Scotland)
And Northern Ireland has
  • Alliance Party
  • Democratic Unionist Party (DUP)
  • Green Party
  • Sinn Féin (SF)
  • Social Democratic Labour Party (SDLP)

There will be others but our electoral system excludes them as it is first past the post.

Use this thread to discuss and debate.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is the Mayoral and local elections in the UK on 2nd May this year, it'll be an indication of how the GE will pan out.
A bad night for Tories and we could be looking at another new leader.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It is the Mayoral and local elections in the UK on 2nd May this year, it'll be an indication of how the GE will pan out.
A bad night for Tories and we could be looking at another new leader.
Yeah, I want it to be bad, but not so bad as to trigger a tory revolt. A new headcase wouldn't have long enough to become as unpopular as Sunak is. Unless they bring Lettuce Liz back!

Altfish

Veteran Member
It appears that George Galloway plans to run candidates of his Worker's Party in 99% of the seats at the GE

Altfish

Veteran Member
So, it was the local elections in England yesterday, local councils and some regional mayors.
Despite holding onto a couple of local mayorships (mainly down to good local communications) the Tories were in general trounced.
Labour did well, but suffered in some areas because of the party's stance on Gaza, where independent candidates have won seats.
My local council used to be Tory, but switched about 15-years ago to Labour, it is now solidly Labour. Labour has 43 seats, Tories just 8, with Green and Lib Dems having 6 each.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Results from local elections held across England on Thursday appear to confirm that Rishi Sunak’s Conservatives are on their way out of power after 14 years.

The party, which brought the world Brexit, has been consistently trailing its main rival, Labour, led by Keir Starmer, by about 20 points in opinion polls.

Voters took part in elections for local councils and regional mayoralties, which hold a patchwork of powers after a concerted phase of devolution over recent years. With more than half of the results declared, the Conservatives had lost more than 200 local councillors, with many more expected to follow as results continue to be counted.

The elections expert John Curtice put the Conservatives’ share of the vote at just 25%, matching the nadir hit in local elections in 1995 by the Conservative prime minister John Major, soon to be swept out of power by Tony Blair. [source]

I know too little about Starmer, but I found the following from the Wikipedia entry interesting:

In 2021, Starmer said that Israel "must respect international law" and called on the Israeli government to work with Palestinian leaders to de-escalate the Israeli–Palestinian conflict.[202] Starmer opposes Israeli settlements, proposals for Israeli annexation of the West Bank, and "the eviction of Palestinians" in the Israeli-occupied territories; he also opposes the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.[203][204] Starmer also has expressed support for the creation of an "inverse OPEC" to promote renewable energy.[205] He has rejected the contention that Israel is an apartheid state.[206] During a June 2023 meeting with Palestinian Mission to the United Kingdom head Husam Zomlot, Starmer recommitted the Labour Party to the recognition of a Palestinian state if it wins the next general election.[207] In January 2024, Starmer said that a future Labour government would recognize a State of Palestine as part of a multi-national peace process, rather than extending recognition immediately or unilaterally; this confirmed a recommendations from the party's policy forum in October 2023.[208] During the first months of the Israel–Hamas war, Starmer declined to call a ceasefire;[209][210] in February 2024, Starmer called for a "ceasefire that lasts" and said it must "happen now".[211]

Altfish

Veteran Member
I know too little about Starmer, but I found the following from the Wikipedia entry interesting:

In 2021, Starmer said that Israel "must respect international law" and called on the Israeli government to work with Palestinian leaders to de-escalate the Israeli–Palestinian conflict.[202] Starmer opposes Israeli settlements, proposals for Israeli annexation of the West Bank, and "the eviction of Palestinians" in the Israeli-occupied territories; he also opposes the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.[203][204] Starmer also has expressed support for the creation of an "inverse OPEC" to promote renewable energy.[205] He has rejected the contention that Israel is an apartheid state.[206] During a June 2023 meeting with Palestinian Mission to the United Kingdom head Husam Zomlot, Starmer recommitted the Labour Party to the recognition of a Palestinian state if it wins the next general election.[207] In January 2024, Starmer said that a future Labour government would recognize a State of Palestine as part of a multi-national peace process, rather than extending recognition immediately or unilaterally; this confirmed a recommendations from the party's policy forum in October 2023.[208] During the first months of the Israel–Hamas war, Starmer declined to call a ceasefire;[209][210] in February 2024, Starmer called for a "ceasefire that lasts" and said it must "happen now".[211]
Which is just about my stance on the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So, in the next few months our PM has to call a GE, latest I believe is January 2025.

The main runners and riders are: -

• Conservative
  • Green
  • Labour
  • Lib Dems
  • Reform Ltd
In the regions we also have
  • Plaid Cymru (Wales)
  • SNP (Scotland)
And Northern Ireland has
  • Alliance Party
  • Democratic Unionist Party (DUP)
  • Green Party
  • Sinn Féin (SF)
  • Social Democratic Labour Party (SDLP)

There will be others but our electoral system excludes them as it is first past the post.

Use this thread to discuss and debate.
Reform Ltd?!

Altfish

Veteran Member
Reform Ltd?!
I'm glad you picked up on that.
Reform are not like other parties ... I can for a small fee join the Labour or Tory party and become a member and have a vote, etc.
It was the Brexit Party, changed its name in 2020 to Reform UK. But Reform had 'supporters', 'members' are now allowed but I still don't believe they have voting rights.
In its early days it had three members, who were Nigel Farage, Tracey Knowles and Mehrtash A’Zami. The party opted for signing up registered supporters rather than members. Farage holds 8 of the 15 shares in The Brexit Party Ltd.