• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voices in the head

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
My Dad's going through something and getting better but is now hearing voices in his head.

I am curious if people don't actually hear voices in there head. There are literally hundreds in my head. We have conversations and sometimes I forget they are in my head. I have been alone and thought someone was talking to me only to realize it was in my head. This is not normal.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Have there always been hundreds of voices in your head?

I must agree, that doesn't sound awfully normal to me. Can I ask, does this bother you at all?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Have there always been hundreds of voices in your head?

I must agree, that doesn't sound awfully normal to me. Can I ask, does this bother you at all?
It probably built up over the years. Other then sometime thinking my conversations really happened or less often someone is there that's not. It actually helps me. I get different views on my problems. I will say I'm the one in charge. They are only advisors

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It probably built up over the years. Other then sometime thinking my conversations really happened or less often someone is there that's not. It actually helps me. I get different views on my problems. I will say I'm the one in charge. They are only advisors
Interesting!

It seems as though your unusual mental set-up is more helpful than distressing and I can totally relate to that

Have you ever had any contact with mental health professionals? I'm not saying that you need to, I'm just interested

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Interesting!

It seems as though your unusual mental set-up is more helpful than distressing and I can totally relate to that

Have you ever had any contact with mental health professionals? I'm not saying that you need to, I'm just interested

It's always been this way. I never thought of it as odd. So no never talked about. It just hit home because of my dad

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It's always been this way. I never thought of it as odd. So no never talked about. It just hit home because of my dad
I had a conversation with a friend a while back about inner monologues

Apparently he gives himself a kind of running commentary about what's going on, that never ends

But I don't have that, I don't really have an inner monologue, but I do sometimes verbalise my subconscious thoughts to myself

It's always interesting to compare notes with others about how our minds work because I think everyone's mind works slightly differently

But yours sounds very unusual :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My Dad's going through something and getting better but is now hearing voices in his head.

I am curious if people don't actually hear voices in there head. There are literally hundreds in my head. We have conversations and sometimes I forget they are in my head. I have been alone and thought someone was talking to me only to realize it was in my head. This is not normal.
Please seek professional advice.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns

I don't hear voices. My mom grandma and brother all do. They schizophrenic.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I had a conversation with a friend a while back about inner monologues

Apparently he gives himself a kind of running commentary about what's going on, that never ends

But I don't have that, I don't really have an inner monologue, but I do sometimes verbalise my subconscious thoughts to myself

It's always interesting to compare notes with others about how our minds work because I think everyone's mind works slightly differently

But yours sounds very unusual :)
Your friend sounds similar but mine have distinct personalities at times

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Thanks but I just looking to see if others are like me at 60 with 2 grown sons and a successful work-life. I'm fine.
I'm in my late 70's, helped raise four children, and have managed to successfully retire. I have this voice in my head that keeps saying: "If one finds oneself concerned about paying attention to me, please seek professional advice." :)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I wouldn't call them voices...there's a central internal monologue that I'm rarely able to shut down, but have done so consciously several times. For all of my life (well, until the onset of dementia c. 2016) I've had six or eight trains of thought going on at the same time...kinda like listening to several radio stations at the same time...Generally, two of the eight were music, the rest were going on about various topics, often whatever projects I was working on at the time, planning and analyzing, and I'd switch to pay attention when it got to something of note...For a time I seemed to only have two or three of the channels running, but lately I'd say I'm back up to four or five on a good day...

Audie

Veteran Member

Its a Sign. Not a good sign.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Its been shown that people with schizophrenia ca really hear voices as opposed to being in the mind. Although it is the mind that generates the voices.

What you have doesn't sound intrusive, and no real impediment to your daily life but as @Jayhawker Soule has already said, i recommend you seek medical advice.

wellwisher

It is more normal than you think. However, most people learn to repress it, since it will be misunderstood and labeled pathology.

Sometimes, when I write, I will talk to myself out loud. This is fine by me, if I am alone. But it can be awkward around other people, if they hear me talking to myself. I explain to them that I do this, so I can hear my ideas, coming into my ears from the outside. This allows me to compare this external audio input to the more subtle visualizing and sensing coming from inside, to help me make sure these two jive. It is more normal to have another person offer feedback, but my ideas are out there, so I have learned to multitask and be my own devil's audio advocate.

As an example of how this can be healthy, say you were angry where you start to mumble. You feel the anger and need to vent. If you say it out loud, " I am angry today because (abc) didn't wash my glass, it sounds very petty. If a friend had old you that is why they were angry, you would not see this as end of the world. This hearing of the petty excuse, can make you objective again, as you realize this anger is not for that, but something else or maybe just due to needed venting suing someone who cares. The inside and outside find the same page. Elderly often try to come to terms with their long life and their dreams of youth.

Normally, we see and hear stimulus coming from the outside. This goes into the senses and then into the brain, following natural pathways. It goes to the thalamus, which triggers the limbic system to be written to memory. It is also distributed for further analysis or action. The brain can also use these same pathways, or even counter current pathways, to make processed ideas conscious. We think in terms of words, sounds and visual imagery, so the inside the brain inductions, often uses the same languages as the ego, to help us see new things. In some cases, it is less subtle but more like an external input, so it can get our attention faster and easier; visual or audio hallucination.

I do not have any more extreme visual and audio output, since I developed a more 3-D language connection to the thalamus via the cerebellum; language of subtle body sensations, that add up to spatial thoughts. Anyone can do it, but it takes practice over years. This is much faster. I will then use the left brain to decompress the 3-D data, which often happens as I write.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

There are people out there who don't have an inner voice.

I'm not one of them, but it is addressed in psychology.

wellwisher

The main problem with Modern Psychology is it is geared to the ego, but neglects the inner self of Jung; Undiscovered Self. The inner self is often lumped into something very similar to the ID of Freud; primal subconscious mumble jumble. It is below the personal unconscious of the ego; where ego repression and personal subliminal data are usually stored. It takes therapy to reach the boundary.

The personal unconscious is only the tip of the unconscious iceberg. The inner self is the center of the collective unconscious, common to all humans and define humans as a species; human nature. Lions have their own version of the inner self that integrates what it is to be a lion. Culture and the superego of culture; mass mind, is connected to the ego and our personal unconscious; learned. While what makes us all human, apart from any cultural training, is from the inner self; innate via human DNA.

Jung was originally a precocious pupil of Fried. He was the first to go deeper into the ID and differentiate it via his theory of the archetypes of the collective unconscious. This created a parting of the ways with his mentor, Freud. The main problem was the best and most comprehensive collective human symbolism data, that Jung used to prove his thesis of the archetypes, was connected to the world's religions. This was the most preserved ancient data of the ancient mind and psyche, that showed trends that Jung reduced to ancient types; archetypes. This use of ancient religion data, conflicted with Atheism. Jung did not fully condemn everything religion, like a good card carrying Atheist, so he was not seen as one of them. The all or nothing bias still remains.

Most of modern Psychology is more of less stuck at the ego and personal unconscious; ego motivations, and does not consider the voices in the head can also come from the collective unconscious; natural firmware apps, common to all humans. Wading in the shallows of the ego tends to default to the need for psychotropic drugs. Whereas Jung, as a Psychotherapist could deal at the deepest levels of psychosis with just interactive person to person therapy.

Jungian Psychology, when I first encountered it, was very natural for me. I had been through some ego centric therapy in my younger years. I had self actualized; goal, but I still felt that there had to be more, than just being a card carrying ego. The journey had been more fulfilling than the goal; personal growth learning about unconscious processes. Jung's writings suggested even deeper aspects of the human psyche, that were more collective human, more advanced and even more natural than the ego. This seemed, to me, to offer the potential for higher human potential. In symbolism, this is the inner world of the gods of mythology. I did unconscious mind experiement on myself to gain first hand experiences to prove this was real and just theory. I was born for that quest and made it the furthest yet.

Voices in the head can be many things, but the current state of accepted art will not accept a large segment of innate possibilities. The ancient symbols are like command lines for inner brain IT, for both scary, soothing and even helpful firmware triggers.

This exploration of the collective unconscious was not all fun and games. I did find that between the personal unconscious and the collective unconscious, there is a wall/zone that Jung refers to as the shadow. Like a shadow, it follows us around. The light of the sun creates the shadow. The shadow appears to connected to law of good and evil, with good, the light, that casts this shadow. The shadow is mostly repressed, but it is implied by the collective social evil; dark side of human nature or ID.

The shadow is very similar to an archetype, but it is not long term natural, but symbolism suggests it formed with the rise of civilization and knowledge of good and evil; Satan subroutine. The shadow can also be the voice in the head, at the zone/wall between the ego and the inner self. This may be why this is often treated with drugs, carte blanche.

How the Shadow is formed (unique voices in the head).

When the animal brain writes to memory, it adds emotional tags to the sensory content. Our memory has content and emotional tags. Our strongest memories usually have the strongest emotional valance; tag. Marriage, first child, trauma, are strong memories with almost real time feelings that can bring the memories alive.

The problem with knowledge of good and evil was, such connected memories; one implies the other, will require two opposing emotional tags; rest and fear, to express the good and evil aspects, for one connected, but polarized thing; magnet of North and South Poles. This games the animal brain in an unnatural way. An animal can feel rest or fear, but not at the same time. Each is situational. But since we are trained to assume where there is good, there is a reflected evil, like negative and positive charges, memory writing adds conflicting tags.

An easy example to see of polarized tags added to one thing, is a love and hate relationship. Love makes you want to approach the beloved, while the hate makes you want to leave the same person. But since both tags are present, you are frozen. The unconscious might compromise with an orbit. We remain, sort of close, but also separated; friends, as we inner debate what to do next.

This state of suspense is repressive to the brain's natural energy. The brain or inner self will try to solve the problem, by repressing half of the two conflicting emotions. One may start to over hate the other, so you can leave; totally ignore the good times. Or one may over love the other and ignorer or justify the bad; add a good tag, so you will endure; forget or change the valence of the bad times.

The symbolic Satan subroutine is connected to most people, wanting to be good, to avoid social punishment and condemnation, thereby defaulting to the repressing the dark side and fear tag of law. This repression has been reinforced over the last 6000 years of civilization; recreated each generation. The shadow subroutine may been added to neural DNA; 6000 years of selective social advantages.

In my experience, getting past the shadow is not too hard, if you can control your fear. That is its emotional mojo and it will try to feed and grow on your fear. I used prayer to calm my fear and it left me pass. But erasing the subroutine, is very complex, since the wring may go to the DNA. This needs the help of inner self; IT symbols. Voices in the heads can come from the repressed half of the good and evil valance polarization; shadow. When extreme, exorcisms were one way to deal with these. This is rare unless you poke the bear.

Most people just assume there is a natural polarization into opposites, even in nature; science, due to that subroutine. It has outlets, such as the ends justify the means, that keeping it fed.