• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book r u reading?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Ever wonder what it would have turned out to be if Jesus had been born a girl?
Read _The Way_, by Kristen Wolf
Only for the curious and open-minded.;-)

jbg

I just finished reading First Strike: The Exclusive Story of How Israel Foiled Iraq's Attempt to Get the Bomb by Shlomo Nakdimon. First Strike was not well-reviewed on Goodreads. There was criticism that it "dragged" and of the translation from Hebrew. I am giving the book "Five Stars" regardless. I am giving the book "Five Stars" regardless. I consider it a thrillin page-turner.
The author well makes the point without saying so directly that "diplomatic efforts" are useless against a determined enemy. Iraq was bound and determined to get "the bomb" and obliterate Israel. In the prevailing atmosphere of the late 1970's and early 1980's, oil could buy anything, notwithstanding the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and the International Atomic Energy Agency of the U.N.

Nakdimon well makes the case that should not need making; Israel and similarly advanced countries must defend themselves. Words are not enough.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you read Good Omens, by Pratchett & Gaiman? Excellent IMO. Lost Gods, by Brom is another great read and more related to American Gods I think.
No, although I've read pretty much everything Pratchett wrote individually, including Small Gods, which is an interesting (comedic) take on a similar theme line to American Gods.

Spice

If you like reading heavy fantasy and would be interested in seeing the Bible written in full novel form, check this series out.
It was too much for me, as I'm not into heavy, warring fantasy fiction, but the premise made me give it a try.
Screenshot_20240408_174218_Facebook.jpg

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Now reading - Livewired: The Inside Story of the Ever-Changing Brain (2020) by the neuroscientist, David Eagleman.

About a third through this and I have found it quite interesting - perhaps more as to future possibilities - such that, apart from AI being the major aspect of the future, advanced technology (especially as to brain-interfacing but also other such) will likely be able to solve so many issues where individuals have some deficiency as to sensing - lacking eyesight, hearing, touch, etc. - and as to expanding the range of such things. Given that the brain is not so source-dependent upon any inputs, and where it soon adapts to whatever source of stimulus that we can devise and that provides meaningful information.

Some things I didn't know - with the first possibly happening to me in the future - that when a cornea is replaced after cataract surgery, UV vision is enabled to some extent because the normal cornea filters this out.

Also, babies have been born with no nose, no eyeballs (so no sight obviously), and no ears - not all as to one individual of course.

So I can recommend this book, even if four years out of date - and that is a long time in such technologies. :eek:

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
The four insights, wisdom, power and grace of the earthkeepers by Alberto Villoldo PH.D

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'm reading Logic A Very Short Introduction by Graham Priest.

Also reading Metaphysics A Very Short Introduction by Stephen Mumford.

On the flip side of that, I'm reading a Christian book called The Quest for Character by John MacArthur. I have Christians in my family and they enjoy giving me material to read.

Spice

I'm still dabbling through the works of Edward Reaugh Smith, and still on _The Burning Bush, An Anthroposophical Commentary on the Bible, Terms and Phrases: Volume 1_

For lighter reading I've just started S.G. MacLean's 17th century historical crime series _The Seeker_: spies, exiles, assassins in Oliver Cromwell's London.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm working on the Childe Cycle by Gordon R Dickson. I'm on book 7 "The Final Encyclopedia".

It started off as military science fiction and has progressed to historical, philosophical and faithful speculation on the future of humanity in a fictional future reality.

It is a break from more technical material that I should be reading.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I just finished Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros. It is an epic Fantasy with Magic and Dragons. It starts off slow but builds into a great story. It has some wild adult romance in the middle and an epic romance in the final. Out of 10, I would give it a 7 because of the slow start but the ending a 10 out of 10.

The Story is about a woman who is forced by her mother to become a Dragon rider which only 25% of the candidates make it the rest die. She overcomes the odds and falls in love and then out of love along the way. Story 7 out of 10 Slow start, Romance 10 out of 10 once it gets going, Fantasy element 7 out of 10, the world is more like ours with some fantasy elements.