• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your religion or spirituality...

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Have to say about organ donation and blood donation? If it allows organ donationd does it differ about living organ donation or donation after death? What does it say about accepting things like blood transfusions and organ transplants? Im curious.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Attitudes can vary in Judaism, but I believe that the great majority of rabbis of all the branches of Judaism support organ transplant (and of course blood transfusions) on the principle that saving a life is a mitzvah (commandment).

However, there is also a belief that transplant surgery mutilates the body of the deceased, and that's a violation of Judaic law -- especially since all parts of your body must be buried with you when you die. I think that it is only a very small minority of rabbis (I hope I'm not wrong about this) who would object to transplant surgery on these grounds, as saving a life is viewed as being something that transcends even Judaic law.

I think that the general consensus is that, when an organ is removed from someone to save the life of another, it becomes part of that new, living person's body. So there is no longer any concern that the body part should be buried with the original deceased donor. It will be buried with the person whose life it saved as it is now part of that person's body.

Last edited:

VoidCat

@nPeace @Hockeycowboy
Is it true Jehovah's witnesses allow for organ donation and transplants to be up to the indiviual despite not allowing blood transfusions? Can you explain the logic? I came across that info googling about spirituality and organ donation.

VoidCat

Attitudes can vary in Judaism, but I believe that the great majority of rabbis of all the branches of Judaism support organ transplant (and of course blood transfusions) on the principle that saving a life is a mitzvah (commandment).

However, there is also a belief that transplant surgery mutilates the body of the deceased, and that's a violation of Judaic law -- especially since all parts of your body must be buried with you when you die. I think that it is only a very small minority of rabbis (I hope I'm not wrong about this) who would object to transplant surgery on these grounds, as saving a life is viewed as being something that transcends even Judaic law.

I think that the general consensus is that, when an organ is removed from someone to save the life of another, it becomes part of that new, living person's body. So there is no longer any concern that the body part should be buried with the original deceased donor. It will be buried with the person whose life it saved as it is now part of that person's body.
Seems reasonable.

VoidCat

As some yall know im in the process of living kidney donation. I worship a goddess of health. Bastet. In case y'all wonder my religious beliefs regarding it...organ donation is great after death. It saves lives and helps people with their health. Blood donation, bone marrow donation and living organ donation are another matter. Since you would be still living you have to weigh your health and the health of the other person. Doctors have to say it's ok for you to. Mentally you have to be healthy enough for it. If you have any fears at all and feel the risks outweigh the benefits then you don't donate. After donation if you donate after weighing the risks you must then take care of your health afterwards. Unless health is taken care of you dont donate. It also has to be of the persons own free will. Coercing someone to donate or taking advantage of them fianically by paying a poor person to donate who otherwise wouldnt have is morally wrong. It is wrong according to my religion and because it harms someone's health. It has to be done of the persons own free will.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
That it's a very good thing so long as it's consensual

Good point to mention! I'll add that Judaism demands that it be consensual, too (and not causing any harm to a living person who wishes to donate an organ, such as a kidney. I see that @VoidCat has admirably checked it all out, regarding their wish to help someone else in need). Of course, the dead can't consent after they've died, but people can still make their wishes known beforehand.

When I die I want my corpse harvesting for everything worth taking, it's not as if I'll need those things myself

May your dead corpse prove fruitful in the harvest! :D

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Have to say about organ donation and blood donation? If it allows organ donationd does it differ about living organ donation or donation after death? What does it say about accepting things like blood transfusions and organ transplants? Im curious.
I have to think organ donations to save lives is a good thing. But my spiritual teachings add a wrinkle in all this. I don't fully understand it, but a human is more than physical matter and includes etheric/astral matter. So these things may come along also and these can actually affect mental facets of the receiver. For example, one receiver example I heard gained musical sympathy not there before from a musician donor. In some way our whole body may be considered conscious.

A physicalist wouldn't consider such things possible.

rocala

There is nothing in my spiritual beliefs to prevent blood or organ donation. I cannot believe that I would consider a faith that did object.

Just over two years ago one of my sisters became very ill and she suffered kidney failure among other things. I immediately offered to donate one of mine. My other sister had suffered kidney disease so it was no contest. Sadly my sister died before my offer was considered. Certainly, no religious belief would have stood in my way.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Zilch. I don't think organ and blood donation was a thing 2,500 years ago. :)

Perhaps, less specifically, one might say that the eightfold path is intended to promote living compassionately and ethically.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Contemporary Paganisms aren't exactly big on dictums and decrees that its practitioners are demanded to follow, so there are no specific teachings on the matter. That said, generally Paganisms are life-affirming and here-and-now focused, which translates into support for anything that improves quality of life in the present (aka, Paganisms are hedonistic - in favor of actions which support the natural pain aversion and pleasure seeking behavior of biological organisms). Paganisms also generally have an appreciation for ritual sacrifice, which means placing one's own flesh and blood upon the altar is a decision with far more gravitas to it than it would be for others.

VoidCat

I thought I'd put this here...my mom is against organ donation and such as Lokata Sioux. Because in her belief system she believes that doing so transfers part of the persons spirit to the other person. She said most her family on the native side feel the same way.

I actually dont know if native americans mostly are against that or not. Or if it is a thing many folk in the Lokata Sioux tribe believe.

VoidCat

AFAIK, in Hinduism it's left to individual choice.
I read somewhere some hindus oppose it because the spirit will keep searching for the missing body parts after they are dead. But that is probably due to an individuals beliefs rather then hinduism as a whole being how diverse hinduism is in general.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I read somewhere some hindus oppose it because the spirit will keep searching for the missing body parts after they are dead. But that is probably due to an individuals beliefs rather then hinduism as a whole being how diverse hinduism is in general.
Yes, for sure. But in my sampradaya, we're trained how to have astral or leftover prana not affect us. The principle is like how alcohol makes you more emotional, and more vulnerable to anger, risk taking, and other lower emotions. For normal, dharmic people, it would have little effect.

VoidCat

Yes, for sure. But in my sampradaya, we're trained how to have astral or leftover prana not affect us. The principle is like how alcohol makes you more emotional, and more vulnerable to anger, risk taking, and other lower emotions. For normal, dharmic people, it would have little effect.
I would think if you prior to donation knew it was going to be donated then you died your spirit would know that that's what happened...but again im not Hindu. So maybe there's something im missing.