• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT IS ABOLISHED?

Tomef

They were to be rest (Sabbath) days (not to be confused with God’s commandment) and restricted or no work was to be done. (Lev 23; Num 10; 28; 29)
You don’t appear to understand that simply saying something doesn’t make it so. This is pure invention, nothing to do with anything but the insistence on contrived dogma. You have no reason, based on anything you have posted or anything anywhere in the bible, to conclude that Sabbath days in Colossians 2.16 does not include ‘the sabbath’. No reason whatsoever. There is nothing, anywhere in the bible, that would give you any reason to believe that.

Last edited:

Tomef

The verse does indeed mean what it plainly says. It just does not mean what you say it means. It says not to judge anyone in regards to meat offerings and drink offerings on the new moons and the sabbaths (plural) in the annual Feast days which are shadows of things to come. What it does not mean is your interpretation of cherry picked scripture pulled from its context to say that Gods Sabbath commandment of Gods 10 commandments has been abolished. This interpretation is in disagreement to scripture context and the rest of the bible.

You repeating the same thing over and over without discussing the contexts to the rest of the bible that is in disagreement with you only tells me you do not know scripture and you should not be in this forum as you are unable to discuss scripture detail that is in disagreement with you when challenged. Perhaps you are better off trying another type of Christian forum more suited to your lack of knowledge of the scriptures. Your silence here is deafening. I guess you were no left with any wiggle room were you which is why you have ignored and refuse to discuss the following posts.

Post # 1. Chapter context of Colossians 2:11-17 and within scripture context of Colossians 2:16 (post # 1618 linked)
Post # 2. Colossians 2:16 what is Paul quoting from in the old testament scriptures (post # 1620 linked)
Post # 3. Colossians 2:16 what is Paul quoting from in the new testament scriptures (post # 1622 linked)
Post # 4. Why it is impossible Gods creation Sabbath of Gods 10 commandments cannot be a shadow law of anything (post # 1657 linked)

You simply ignored the above right and were unable to respond to all the scriptures here that are in disagreement with your interpretation of a single scripture taken out of context to the rest of the bible. Now if you cannot address a single post here what is your argument? You have none do you. Just be honest. I think you are in the wrong forum because you do not know scripture and are unable to discuss the scripture details when challenged.
From what you’ve said so far, your general claim is that your ideas are ‘from scripture’, is that correct?

What you have done so far is post some scriptures that bear a tangential relationship to Colossians 2.16. None of them has anything to say about your notion that Paul didn’t really mean all sabbaths; that is pure conjecture on your part. For some reason, you appear to believe that this conjecture is proof in itself.

Proof would consist of something like Paul writing oh btw I didn’t mean all Sabbaths, or the discussion of keeping the sabbath as a salvation issue. Either of those things could be offered as a kind of initial proof.

What you do have is a starting point for discussion - you have a notion about what Paul meant. You can’t demonstrate it using the bible, but you think it’s true anyway. That could be a starting point for discussion with people interested in that sort of thing.

3rdAngel

From what you’ve said so far, your general claim is that your ideas are ‘from scripture’, is that correct?

What you have done so far is post some scriptures that bear a tangential relationship to Colossians 2.16. None of them has anything to say about your notion that Paul didn’t really mean all sabbaths; that is pure conjecture on your part. For some reason, you appear to believe that this conjecture is proof in itself.

Proof would consist of something like Paul writing oh btw I didn’t mean all Sabbaths, or the discussion of keeping the sabbath as a salvation issue. Either of those things could be offered as a kind of initial proof.

What you do have is a starting point for discussion - you have a notion about what Paul meant. You can’t demonstrate it using the bible, but you think it’s true anyway. That could be a starting point for discussion with people interested in that sort of thing.
No, what I said was, Colossians 2:16 means what it plainly says. It just does not mean what you say it means. It says not to judge anyone in regards to meat offerings and drink offerings on the new moons and the sabbaths (plural) in the annual Feast days which are shadows of things to come. What it does not mean is your interpretation of cherry picked scripture pulled from its context to say that Gods Sabbath commandment of Gods 10 commandments has been abolished. This interpretation is in disagreement to scripture context and the rest of the bible.

You repeating the same thing over and over without discussing the contexts to the rest of the bible that is in disagreement with you only tells me you do not know scripture and you should not be in this forum as you are unable to discuss scripture detail that is in disagreement with you when challenged. Perhaps you are better off trying another type of Christian forum more suited to your lack of knowledge of the scriptures. Your silence here is deafening. I guess you were no left with any wiggle room were you which is why you have ignored and refuse to discuss the following posts.

Post # 1. Chapter context of Colossians 2:11-17 and within scripture context of Colossians 2:16 (post # 1618 linked)
Post # 2. Colossians 2:16 what is Paul quoting from in the old testament scriptures (post # 1620 linked)
Post # 3. Colossians 2:16 what is Paul quoting from in the new testament scriptures (post # 1622 linked)
Post # 4. Why it is impossible Gods creation Sabbath of Gods 10 commandments cannot be a shadow law of anything (post # 1657 linked)

You simply ignored the above right and were unable to respond to all the scriptures here that are in disagreement with your interpretation of a single scripture taken out of context to the rest of the bible. Now if you cannot address a single post here what is your argument? You have none do you. Just be honest. I think you are in the wrong forum because you do not know scripture and are unable to discuss the scripture details when challenged.

3rdAngel

Rendering yourself incapable of thought in the service of dogma is not a good thing. You should reflect on that.

Here is what the relevant passage says:

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you[d] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[e]
16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

You can actually see what it says. Beyond pointing out that there were deluded people back then too who hung onto bits and pieces of the legal framework, whom this was a warning against, it needs no further explanation.

Here, on the other hand, is your delusional notion:

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink (ok!) , or with regard to a religious festival (ok!), a New Moon celebration (Ok!) or a Sabbath day (oh no wait that’s different um shadow laws it’s not supposed to be part of this list, why did Paul write that? Oh I know, he didn’t actually mean it).

I mean, come on, man. You have a brain, just think about it.
Colossians 2:16 does not say that God’s 4th commandment has been abolished or does it say anywhere that God’s 4th commandment has ended as you claim here. Colossians 2:16 says Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days. The scripture context is to meat and drink offerings, new moons and sabbaths (plural) in the Feast days (see where Paul is quoting from in Ezekiel 45:17). According to the scriptures there were many kinds of annual ceremonial sabbaths in the annual Feast days linked to the new moons and meat and drink offerings of the old covenant. These annual ceremonial sabbaths in the Feast days included; (1) Feast of Unleavened Bread (first and last day) *Leviticus 23:6-8 (2) Feast of Trumpets *Leviticus 23:24-25 (3) Day of Atonement *Leviticus 23:27-32 (4) Feast of Booths *Leviticus 23:34-36 (5) Feast of First Fruits *Leviticus 23:39 (6) Feast days of Holy convocation of no work (sabbaton Colossians 2:16 *Leviticus 23:7-8; 21;24; 27; 35-36 that were all shadows of things to come pointing to Jesus as the promised Messiah and Savoir of the world and not God's 4th commandment that points backwards to the finished work of creation (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11). What your teaching is not biblical.

Lets talk more when you start believing God and His Words and leave your unbelief and sin. I do not think a scripture debate forum is the right place for you as you are unwilling to discuss the scripture contexts that are in disagreement with you so. Lets agree to disagree.

You are probably better off joining a general-chat type forum. As it is clear you do not know what the bible teaches as an unbeliever.

3rdAngel

This is simply ridiculous
Here are the links to those posts that show scripture context to Colossians 2:16 and to the rest of the bible below that you have ignored and refuse to respond to.

Now prove to me from the scriptures, why you believe these posts are "simply ridiculous"? Those posts contain the scripture contexts to the chapter and the rest of the bible you disregarded that prove your interpretation of the scriptures is unbiblical. So Gods Word which are scripture in disagreement with you is not as you say simply ridiculous. It is scripture that proves your interpretation of a single scripture in isolation to the rest of the bible that you are trying to build your doctrine over is in error and is an unbiblical false teaching. Now if you disagree that is ok. This is a scripture debate forum. Therefore prove what you say from the scriptures. If you cannot all you have is your words and opinions in disagreement with the scriptures only further proving you do not know God or His Words and you are perhaps better off being in a general chat forum.
none of those scriptures is in any way in disagreement with what Paul wrote about festivals and sabbaths.
Agreed thanks for admitting your mistake. That is why I posted them to show it is your interpretation of as single scripture you have pulled from its context that these scriptures are in disagreement with. All the scriptures in the linked posts above only show what Paul is talking about and are in disagreement with your interpretation thereof.
Your fixation on the sabbath day has nothing to do with the content of any of those scriptures.
My fixation is on what the scriptures teach because as Gods people we are to believe and follow what Gods Word says. It is your interpretation of these scriptures as an unbeliever that does not believe and obey what Gods Word says that has nothing to do with these scriptures and only proves you do not know God or His Words (scripture)
The embarrassing reality here is that you, a supposed believer, fail to understand the basic message of the New Testament.
The embarrassing reality here is only that you as an unbeliever do not know God and His Words (scripture) and you are better off in a General chat forul. Your posts only prove your unbelief and lack of understanding of scripture context and the rest of the bible. As proven earlier in the linked posts above and the scriptures provided in them that are in disagreement with you, that you are unwilling to discuss and respond to, it is the laws of atonement (meat and drink offerings) in the new moons and the sabbaths (plural) in the annual Feast days (context) that are shadows because they point to Christs sacrifice being shadows of things to come pointing to Jesus and His work on our behalf.

3rdAngel

You don’t appear to understand that simply saying something doesn’t make it so. This is pure invention, nothing to do with anything but the insistence on contrived dogma. You have no reason, based on anything you have posted or anything anywhere in the bible, to conclude that Sabbath days in Colossians 2.16 does not include ‘the sabbath’. No reason whatsoever. There is nothing, anywhere in the bible, that would give you any reason to believe that.
You do not seem to understand that you as an unbeliever, that does not believe and obey God, cannot pull scripture out of context and build false doctrines around them. You also seem to not understand that there were many sabbaths in the Annual feast days inclusive of the full moons that were linked to Gods laws of atonement (meat and drink offerings). This has already been proven to you in the linked posts provided earlier and the scripture contexts you refuse to discuss with me showing your interpretation of scripture to be in error. Funny you talk about dogma. You do know this has a lot to do with your interpretation of Colossians 2:16 right because you do not understand context and the old testament scriptures. I do not expect you to understand what I am talking about here as you have not been reading my posts. Perhaps you can read or look up the Greek word for "ordinances" used in Colossians 2:14 δόγμα (dógma | G1378) and tell me what it means and why it might be relevant context to Colossians 2:16?

3rdAngel

I did but you didn't like my answer. Oh well.
Be honest. You did not provide an answer to my question to you. You simply ignored my question to you because it proves that scripture is the only rule of faith and that none of us have Gods salvation if we do not believe and obey what Gods Word says.

Tomef

No, what I said was, Colossians 2:16 means what it plainly says. It just does not mean what you say it means. It says not to judge anyone in regards to meat offerings and drink offerings on the new moons and the sabbaths (plural) in the annual Feast days which are shadows of things to come. What it does not mean is your interpretation of cherry picked scripture pulled from its context to say that Gods Sabbath commandment of Gods 10 commandments has been abolished. This interpretation is in disagreement to scripture context and the rest of the bible.

‘There are other Sabbaths, therefore Paul only meant some sabbaths’ is not an argument, it’s a completely arbitrary notion, based on nothing but the random conjecture of one more idiot who wanted to start his own church. It is delusional to dismiss the context, both the immediate context and the whole thrust of the NT to insist upon such a random point. Your whole sect is based on nothing but a completely random division that has nothing to do with anything Paul meant, as is plain from his own words, that goes against the spirit of Christ’s teaching. You don’t even keep the Sabbath, I mean, how deluded can you be? A group that doesn’t even hold to the random notion it claims as it’s major insight. It’s beyond a joke.

3rdAngel

‘There are other Sabbaths, therefore Paul only meant some sabbaths’ is not an argument, it’s a completely arbitrary notion, based on nothing but the random conjecture of one more idiot who wanted to start his own church. It is delusional to dismiss the context, both the immediate context and the whole thrust of the NT to insist upon such a random point. Your whole sect is based on nothing but a completely random division that has nothing to do with anything Paul meant, as is plain from his own words, that goes against the spirit of Christ’s teaching. You don’t even keep the Sabbath, I mean, how deluded can you be? A group that doesn’t even hold to the random notion it claims as it’s major insight. It’s beyond a joke.
You missed the point again. The sabbaths in the annual Feast days linked to the old covenant laws of atonement are the shadows of things to come. Not Gods eternal Sabbath of Gods 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken that are repeated in the new testament as the standard of right and wrong, good and evil and sin and righteousness. You are deflecting again. You are the one that has pulled scripture out of context in order to build false doctrine. This was already proven to you in the linked posts you refuse to respond to from Colossians 2:11-17 and the rest of the bible. You are not being truthful now.

3rdAngel

It’s clear I understand it a lot better than you do, as evidenced by your habit of making arbitrary links and misunderstanding of basic concepts like context.
Nope it is clear you neither know God or His Word and only an unbeliever still lost in their sins and unbelief twisting scripture taken away from context and not understanding the basic concepts context. This has already been proven to you earlier in the posts and scriptures in disagreement with you that you refuse to respond to.

Tomef

Nope it is clear you neither know God or His Word and only an unbeliever still lost in their sins and unbelief twisting scripture taken away from context and not understanding the basic concepts context. This has already been proven to you earlier in the posts and scriptures in disagreement with you that you refuse to respond to.
What are you taking about? I have responded to your shallow notions, and you haven’t proven anything.

Tomef

You are the one that has pulled scripture out of context in order to build false doctrine. This was already proven to you in the linked posts you refuse to respond to from Colossians 2:11-17 and the rest of the bible. You are not being truthful now.
What on earth are you on about?

3rdAngel

What are you taking about? I have responded to your shallow notions, and you haven’t proven anything.
Yes I agree. You do not know what I am talking about because you do not believe in God or know His Words so for you nothing has changed you still do not believe in God or his Words and are still in your sins and unbelief.