• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where were you 20 years ago?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Where were you 20 years ago? - bonus points if you have pics!
Peterborough, Ontario. Working in my first job after university.

That year in July, the city had a serious flood. The office where I worked was in the affected area; I remember that morning trying to get to the office even though there was a travel advisory - I was worried that they'd need everyone they could to get files away from the rising water and other damage control.

There were three streets I could take to my office. The first one was blocked by the police. The second was blocked by Public Works. The third was underwater. I turned around, went home, called the office and left a message saying I wouldn't be in. The fact that no human answered on the main general line suggested that nobody else made it in either. I spent the rest of the day watching the news.

The next day, I got grief as I came into the office for not showing up the day before. I explained the situation; our main admin person said "but *I* got through. The water wasn't that deep."

I was happy to give my notice a few months later.

2004-flood-01.jpg

2004-flood-02.jpg

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Just beginning a project for the job that lasted far too long for my well-being, and costs me far too much -- but it was darn successful for the company.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I was in the Coventry Psychiatric Ward

I can't believe how quickly those 20 years have gone!

Here is a picture of it being demolished a few years after I was there (it has since been rebuilt):

View attachment 90978
Being mom of an 11 month old boy, living in Kissimmee. Taking a break from my Master's Degree to do it.

Attachments

• smallchristmas.jpg
    smallchristmas.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 16

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I was in the Coventry Psychiatric Ward

I can't believe how quickly those 20 years have gone!

Here is a picture of it being demolished a few years after I was there (it has since been rebuilt):

View attachment 90978

I was living in Auckland, New Zealand, and had just asked my girlfriend if 8 years to marry me. We are still together, back in Melbourne (where we are both from) and have three daughters now, 15, 13 and 3.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I was in Saudi Arabia. I had still been in elementary education, and it was around that time that I started being frustrated with my inability to understand English enough in video games, movies, etc. I was also obsessed with dinosaurs, had a few books about them (both in English and Arabic; my parents encouraged my hobby and got me the books), and had the names of most popular dinosaurs memorized in English, in contrast to my struggle with the language in other areas.

I have a lot of good, bittersweet, and bad memories from that time. I prefer the present by a long shot.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I was seven years in my job that ultimately last 23 before I was unceremoniously dumped at the start of covid. Just the year before we moved into my mother-in-law's house ostensibly to take it over and care for her. I had sleep apnea surgery in Jan. 2004. After that I don't remember much. It must have been the usual day to day drudgery of Middle America.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I was 20 and living with my first serious gf and wee white cat who was a total headcase. I was working part time in a call centre, studying bioscience and playing guitar in a couple of punk bands.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Twenty years ago? Let's see, I was 63, so what was happening?

I was planning on an early retirement, and had over paid the mortgage, so it would have been paid off or nearly so. I did retire at around 64 1/2. That proved to be the final nail in the coffin of my marriage, which broke up maybe 18 months later.

I had lost a beloved dog (Lady) to heart failure, and replaced her with Willow, a wonderful labradoodle whom I took with me into my single life. She lived a long life and was my constant companion. I still miss her. I now have Sheba a pure bred poodle, and the sweetest dog ever.

Interesting how my life memories tend to revolve around dogs. From the left, Willow, Flash and Sophie, around that time.

1714931748435.jpeg