• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you think some enjoy boxing or wrestling?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I was seeing an ad with men hurling each other, slamming each other down in the ring, crowds cheering, and wonder why would people enjoy that?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I was seeing an ad with men hurling each other, slamming each other down in the ring, crowds cheering, and wonder why would people enjoy that?
Its great fun! :D

Good exercise for body and mind.

If you're meaning strictly from a spectator's standpoint, I suppose its no different from watching any other sport.

PureX

Veteran Member
A lot of people get a bio-chemical 'rush' from witnessing violent conflict and identifying and empathizing themselves with the actual participants.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

As a sport, I never got into it very much. It seems rather pointless, especially when there's no genuine cause or reason to fight.

On the other hand, if people do have a reason to fight, it may be preferable that they do so in the ring, as opposed to out on the streets or taking out innocent bystanders in drive-by shootings.

☆Dreamwind☆

Why do people enjoy hitting a ball with a stick? Why do people enjoy watching other people prance around onstage in elaborate costumes? Why do people enjoy staring at words on pages for a couple of hours? Because people enjoy what they enjoy.

YoursTrue

Why do people enjoy hitting a ball with a stick? Why do people enjoy watching other people prance around onstage in elaborate costumes? Why do people enjoy staring at words on pages for a couple of hours? Because people enjoy what they enjoy.
oh ok. I went once only to a wrestling match some time ago to explore -- I found it disgusting and stupid. But that's me..

EinGeheimkonto

I used to do Shotokan Karate and competed in both light-contact and full-contact kumite. I've also learned some boxing, judo, and Greco-Roman wrestling.

For me, full contact was a bit more "fun" because I found it more challenging. There is kind of an excitement of knowing that you are going to have to push yourself to overcome your opponent.

I don't consider myself to be a violent person, and I wouldn't want to harm my opponent. That said, but I would get an adrenaline rush from the excitement of the fight. But I could say the same about getting on the soccer field. At the end of the day, as an amateur, I just see it as a way to exercise, to stay in shape, and to improve myself.

YoursTrue

Boxing is worse than wrestling, but people can obviously get hurt. Similar to football. I find those sports repulsive. I know not everybody agrees with me.

☆Dreamwind☆

oh ok. I went once only to a wrestling match some time ago to explore -- I found it disgusting and stupid. But that's me..
And that's okay, theres nothing wrong with that. There's plenty of things people don't enjoy. Whenever I go to my relatives soccer and hockey games, I'm incredibly bored. And I think disco and spongebob are annoying, but my daughter loves them.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
And that's okay, theres nothing wrong with that. There's plenty of things people don't enjoy. Whenever I go to my relatives soccer and hockey games, I'm incredibly bored. And I think disco and spongebob are annoying, but my daughter loves them.
Spongebob....? Annoying...?

:(

I agree on the rest, though. :D

YoursTrue

I used to do Shotokan Karate and competed in both light-contact and full-contact kumite. I've also learned some boxing, judo, and Greco-Roman wrestling.

For me, full contact was a bit more "fun" because I found it more challenging. There is kind of an excitement of knowing that you are going to have to push yourself to overcome your opponent.

I don't consider myself to be a violent person, and I wouldn't want to harm my opponent. That said, but I would get an adrenaline rush from the excitement of the fight. But I could say the same about getting on the soccer field. At the end of the day, as an amateur, I just see it as a way to exercise, to stay in shape, and to improve myself.
I'm going to change my mind to an extent. I love Billy Joel's music and so was reading some biographical information about him. He had a tough childhood. The kids made fun of him and so he learned to cope with that by taking up boxing. Kind of sad but I do have faith that God will stop all these things in the hopefully near future. I don't advocate boxing, but at least I can understand it a little bit better. People can be bullies and worse.

YoursTrue

Spongebob....? Annoying...?

:(

I agree on the rest, though. :D
I'll just say what I said to the other poster.
I'm going to change my mind to an extent. I love Billy Joel's music and so was reading some biographical information about him. He had a tough childhood. The kids made fun of him and so he learned to cope with that by taking up boxing. Kind of sad but I do have faith that God will stop all these things in the hopefully near future. I don't advocate boxing, but at least I can understand it a little bit better. People can be bullies and worse.

YoursTrue

But that's not to say that people should take up boxing. Hope you understand.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
To me, why do some people love The Three Stooges? I mean, I don't find them interesting but some people do. Why do some people love different types of music than I do? Why do some people like professional sports and others don't? Why do some people love golf and others don't? Same with tennis. Same with wrestling and boxing.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I agree that people like different things, but I share the OP's distaste for a sport where the objective is for the participants to hurt each other, like boxing. Wrestling is a bit different, as hurt is not the primary objective, at least in variants like College wrestling where it's mainly skill and any injuries are accidental. WWE is more of a scripted spectacle, designed to appeal to, lets say baser instincts.

I sometimes wonder, if Roman style gladiatorial contests became legal, how many people would gladly attend and shriek with pleasure as blood soaked into the sand. I fear many would.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I sometimes wonder, if Roman style gladiatorial contests became legal, how many people would gladly attend and shriek with pleasure as blood soaked into the sand. I fear many would.
That's called reality TV now.

☆Dreamwind☆

I agree that people like different things, but I share the OP's distaste for a sport where the objective is for the participants to hurt each other, like boxing. Wrestling is a bit different, as hurt is not the primary objective, at least in variants like College wrestling where it's mainly skill and any injuries are accidental. WWE is more of a scripted spectacle, designed to appeal to, lets say baser instincts.

We need a Roman gladiator character on the Mortal Kombat roster

YoursTrue

To me, why do some people love The Three Stooges? I mean, I don't find them interesting but some people do. Why do some people love different types of music than I do? Why do some people like professional sports and others don't? Why do some people love golf and others don't? Same with tennis. Same with wrestling and boxing.
I think the 3 stooges are different than playing golf. For me it's not funny to poke at someone's eyes or hit them on the head. I wouldn't let my children watch them, but if you would that's up to you.