• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you think some enjoy boxing or wrestling?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I can see learning basic self-defense skills, and of course, there will always be a need for armies (unfortunately).

But when it comes to combat sports, I think of the question posed in the movie Wargames.

David Lightman : Is this a game or is it real?

Joshua : What's the difference?
I do believe what the Bible says -- one day there will be no more wars.

YoursTrue

I think the 3 stooges are different than playing golf. For me it's not funny to poke at someone's eyes or hit them on the head. I wouldn't let my children watch them, but if you would that's up to you.
Just for the record, I hate the Three Stooges.
If all things, last night I had the misfortune to pass by a three stooges movie on TV and noticed the angry hurtful reaction to almost everything. What a terrible example.

YoursTrue

I found this link about the psychological benefits:
Code:
https://www.sportingbounce.com/blog/the-role-of-psychology-in-wrestling-performance
In summary its about the psychological aspects of wrestling. They say that its a sport requiring mental toughness, strategy, and emotional control. Wrestlers learn concentration, stress management, goal setting, built self confidence and learn how to stay motivated. Coaches work with students in these areas, according to that.

My introduction to wrestling was not so good. One day my gym coach announced we would have a wrestling demonstration, and I got picked to be the dummy. I had no way to get home other than riding the bus, so I couldn't have joined the team anyway. The school was just full of opportunities that were not available to me. Anyways the wrestling demonstration was like being the new guy on Team Fortress. Not fun. Did my best, the experienced wrestler got pissed at me and gave me a hard time after that. I nearly killed him once for attacking me openly in class, cause he was provoking me into a fight for not apparent reason. I guess the mental training wasn't helping him deal with whatever was eating him. Forget wrestling I would have stabbed him or pushed him down some stairs. So forget wrestling I say. I say its a waste of time. Sure it might be fun if you can get a ride home late after school and aren't hated by the wrestling team.
Thank you for sharing that. I often wonder about school buses, young people can be hard on one another. So sad. Glad you're ok.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for sharing that. I often wonder about school buses, young people can be hard on one another. So sad. Glad you're ok.
School buses were terrible for my oldest. There was a bus from one school that would have had enough sex and violence to get an R rating...

YoursTrue

School buses were terrible for my oldest. There was a bus from one school that would have had enough sex and violence to get an R rating...
It is sad that these children did not have a 'good' upbringing.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I was seeing an ad with men hurling each other, slamming each other down in the ring, crowds cheering, and wonder why would people enjoy that?
I've always thought that too

I'm not big into violence myself although I have been known to enjoy the odd good war film