• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jesus did not Rule the first time, but will Rule the second time?

2ndpillar

Jesus established God's kingdom on earth. I think he still rules it.

And I think the purpose is that love and righteousness prevail.
I think the "ruler of the world has nothing in me" (John 14:30), kind of knocks down your theory. As for the ruler of the world, that would be the "dragon" of Revelation 13:4, who rules through the "beast"/kings. We are now in the era of 8th head of the beast per Revelation 17. As for love, well Yeshua says it will grow cold and lawlessness will increase (Mt 24:12), and "then the end shall come", whereas the "tares"/"wicked" will be gathered and thrown into the fire (Mt 13:30). The "fire" will be Har-Magedon, which starts in Jerusalem, and results in the survivors among nations/Gentiles all coming to Jerusalem once a year to worship the "king" (Zechariah 14:16).

2ndpillar

To provide a carrot and stick to motivate continued adherence among Christians.
Adherence to what? The "Word of God" comes back to rule the nations/Gentiles with a "rod of iron" (Revelation 19:13-15). David will return to rule over the combined houses of Judah (Jews) and Ephraim (Israel), in the land given to Jacob/Israel (Ezekiel 36 & 37), where upon they will all keep the ordinances of God (Ez 37:24). Per Joel 2:30-3:8, the nations/Gentiles will be judged and sold into slavery with respect to the "day of the LORD", which follows the blood moon (moon turning red) (Joel 2:30).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Adherence to what?

Community norms.

The "Word of God" comes back to rule the nations/Gentiles with a "rod of iron" (Revelation 19:13-15). David will return to rule over the combined houses of Judah (Jews) and Ephraim (Israel), in the land given to Jacob/Israel (Ezekiel 36 & 37), where upon they will all keep the ordinances of God (Ez 37:24). Per Joel 2:30-3:8, the nations/Gentiles will be judged and sold into slavery with respect to the "day of the LORD", which follows the blood moon (moon turning red) (Joel 2:30).

It's convenient for your adherence to the group that you believe all this to be true.

2ndpillar

Community norms.

It's convenient for your adherence to the group that you believe all this to be true.
What community, and what norms? The norms of today are not the norms of yesterday. The norms of the community of Berkeley and Portland are not the norms of middle America. The norms of Progressive cities do not match those of Conservative areas. You can cram all the never do wells in your cities, but those cities are doomed for destruction (Revelation 16:19).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What community, and what norms? The norms of today are not the norms of yesterday. The norms of the community of Berkeley and Portland are not the norms of middle America. The norms of Progressive cities do not match those of Conservative areas. You can cram all the never do wells in your cities, but those cities are doomed for destruction (Revelation 16:19).
The norms of communities of Christians.

I recognize that these change over time and from group to group.

2ndpillar

The norms of communities of Christians.

I recognize that these change over time and from group to group.
There are around 34,000 different Christian sects. I am not one of any of them. "Christians" are followers of the false prophet Paul, whereas I call a spade a spade, and note that they are on the wide path to "destruction" (Matthew 7:13). Your "Christians", by following the false prophet Paul, are on the broad path to destruction.
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

2ndpillar

It was made because angry people want revenge against their perceived enemies and the sinners who deny the Hebrew god.
If you look at the history and prophecies of the Hebrew people, it is they who are torn apart by their own God (Hosea 5). As for the "nations"/Gentiles, well their judgment only comes at the "day of the LORD" (Joel 2:31-3-8), whereas those who sold Israel into slavery, will themselves be sold into slavery. What goes around comes around. Hamas is now having second thoughts about kidnapping Jews, even though they have the Marxist Progressives cheering them on. Those in the cities, such as the elite Progressives and their children, will not fare well (Revelation 16:19).

Context
10The princes of Judah have become like those who move a boundary;
On them I will pour out My wrath like water.
11Ephraim is oppressed, crushed in judgment,
Because he was determined to follow man’s command.
12Therefore I am like a moth to Ephraim
And like rottenness to the house of Judah.
13When Ephraim saw his sickness,
And Judah his wound,
Then Ephraim went to Assyria
And sent to King Jareb.
But he is unable to heal you,
Or to cure you of your wound.
14For I will be like a lion to Ephraim
And like a young lion to the house of Judah.
I, even I, will tear to pieces and go away,
I will carry away, and there will be none to deliver.
15I will go away and return to My place
Until they acknowledge their guilt and seek My face;
In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me.

2ndpillar

I don't say Jesus is the ruler of this world, nor that this world is the same as God's kingdom.
Is "Jesus" going to be the "ruler of this world", and were would "God's kingdom" be if not here on earth? (Ezekiel 37:24-25)

Ezekiel 37:24“My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd; and they will walk in My ordinances and keep My statutes and observe them. 25“They will live on the land that I gave to Jacob My servant, in which your fathers lived; and they will live on it, they, and their sons and their sons’ sons, forever; and David My servant will be their prince forever. 26“I will make a covenant of peace with them; it will be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will place them and multiply them, and will set My sanctuary in their midst forever. 27“My dwelling place also will be with them; and I will be their God, and they will be My people. 28“And the nations will know that I am the LORD who sanctifies Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forever.”’”

Is "Jesus" going to be the "ruler of this world", and were would "God's kingdom" be if not here on earth? (Ezekiel 37:24-25)
Jesus answered, “My Kingdom is not of this world. If my Kingdom were of this world, then my servants would fight, that I wouldn’t be delivered to the Jews. But now my Kingdom is not from here.”
John 18:36
Being asked by the Pharisees when God’s Kingdom would come, he answered them, “God’s Kingdom doesn’t come with observation; neither will they say, ‘Look, here!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ for behold, God’s Kingdom is within you.”
Luke 17:20-21

2ndpillar

Jesus answered, “My Kingdom is not of this world. If my Kingdom were of this world, then my servants would fight, that I wouldn’t be delivered to the Jews. But now my Kingdom is not from here.”
John 18:36
Being asked by the Pharisees when God’s Kingdom would come, he answered them, “God’s Kingdom doesn’t come with observation; neither will they say, ‘Look, here!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ for behold, God’s Kingdom is within you.”
Luke 17:20-21
The "kingdom" within you, would be the kingdom of the power and spirit, whereas the disciples of Yeshua healed the sick and raised the dead. That kingdom apparently is not within you. Thy "kingdom to come" would be the settlement of the combined houses of Judah and Ephraim/Israel within the lands given to Jacob, with David as their king (Ezekiel 37:22-25).
Ezekiel 37:22-25
22and I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel; and one king will be king for all of them; and they will no longer be two nations and no longer be divided into two kingdoms. 23“They will no longer defile themselves with their idols, or with their detestable things, or with any of their transgressions; but I will deliver them from all their dwelling places in which they have sinned, and will cleanse them. And they will be My people, and I will be their God.
The Davidic Kingdom

24“My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd; and they will walk in My ordinances and keep My statutes and observe them. 25“They will live on the land that I gave to Jacob My servant, in which your fathers lived; and they will live on it, they, and their sons and their sons’ sons, forever; and David My servant will be their prince forever.

jimb

Premium Member
Re the OP...

Jesus had/has two separate functions. 1) He appeared as a human and was sacrificed as the price paid for all sins committed. 2) After His resurrection, He was exalted and placed at God's right hand to rule over His kingdom.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Satan's time hadn't yet run out.

Read _Good Omens_, by Pratchett & Gaiman? Truly "enlightening." :-D
I believe I have read it. It is difficult to tell what Pratchett believes since most of his writing is Satire. I am currently reading Small Gods by him where he makes fun of the Norse creation myth. I also read American Gods by Gaiman where he makes fun of Greek myths. I haven't finished watching the TV series on it though.