• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your opinions and Thoughts on Folkish Heathenism?

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
In no way do I identify myself as a Folkish Heathen. I fall more in the Left Hand Path category of someone borrowing certain concepts from the Norse Pantheon. The Left Hand Path and Folkish Heathenism are complete opposites anyway. However, I find it interesting these days of coming across certain Folkish Heathen groups such as the Asatru Folk and reading up on their bizarre theories of Metagenetics. From what I understand Folkish Heathen groups have this belief that the Norse Religion should be for whites only. What are some of your thoughts on Folkish Heathenry? I felt like making this thread since I figured it would be interesting to hear what other people would say on that subject.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Personally, I am not a fan of the Folkish side of heathenry, as I think it is an open practice for all who are dedicated to the Gods.
For me I'd say reading up on the gods such as Odin and using the Othala Rune does bring me that ancestral spiritual connection since I have Northern European Viking ancestry. But yeah that's kinda where that stops, I don't really believe in excluding it from other people. It's interesting that some of these "Folkish" groups from what I've seen would have pictures of the Black Sun Symbol in their groups logo or ceremony's. I've heard that legitimate Heathen groups would never use the Black Sun, since the Black Sun originated from Nazi Germany. Arith Harger made a video concerning the Black Sun.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
For me I'd say reading up on the gods such as Odin and using the Othala Rune does bring me that ancestral spiritual connection since I have Northern European Viking ancestry. But yeah that's kinda where that stops, I don't really believe in excluding it from other people. It's interesting that some of these "Folkish" groups from what I've seen would have pictures of the Black Sun Symbol in their groups logo or ceremony's. I've heard that legitimate Heathen groups would never use the Black Sun, since the Black Sun originated from Nazi Germany. Arith Harger made a video concerning the Black Sun.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with having or desiring na ancestral connection via ones religion and spirituality. But as you said, that doesn't require excluding others who believe in the Gods as well.

Yeah, the black Sun is not a modern or ancient Pagan symbol that I am aware of. It's a bastardization of other "sun wheel" style symbols.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Yeah from hearing some of McNallens speeches of how he's like the only one thats revitalizing this Native European religion seems to me that he has an ego. It's honestly hard to take McNallen seriously, his videos are just to hilarious and cringe to watch lol.

Tamino

I'm German. My Grandparents and Great-grandparents were alive during Hitler's rule. We're still struggling with that history and I am among those who say: Nie wieder - never again.
Thus, German neopagans are usually very clear in distancing themselves from any "völkische"/folkish tendencies.

☆Dreamwind☆

At any rate, the Gods don't give a crud about someone's ethnic genes, only people do. If They call someone, that's all the validation someone needs. These people are only speaking for themselves.