• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

15 Medal of Honor recipients endorse Trump for President

Shaul

Premium Member
“We, 15 Medal of Honor recipients, Having served this great nation in wars, we support and endorse Donald J. Trump for President of the United States.

We believe that American citizenship is a revered privilege. We believe that a patriotic nation is a strong nation. We believe that the sacrifices of the men and women of our armed forces preserve and protect American freedom“says part of the document signed by the decorated members of the armed forces.

Group of Congressional Medal of Honor recipients backs Trump | indianetworknews.com

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have not seen this story reported by CNN, NBC, ABC, PBS or CBS.
They won't either because they have their hive mind mentality that nothing on the other side will ever get reported and they will try to censor it or shout it down.

There are a lot of veterans that support Trump won't even gave him his Purple Heart for being shot.

Altjough Trump himself did not serve in the military he did serve as a military academy student.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
From the article said:
A group made up of 15 veterans who served in an exemplary manner in Afghanistan, Iraq and Vietnam, whose merit earned them the Congressional Medal of Honor, signed a letter announcing their support for the presidential candidacy of Republican Donald Trump.

In other words, a group of 15 individuals who "served" in three of the bloodiest wars of aggression in the last 60 years. I would be far more interested to know whether they killed any innocent people during their "service" than whether they endorse Trump.

Perhaps next on the list will be endorsements from "Ukraine veterans." Trump is Putin's buddy, after all.

Shaul

Premium Member
In other words, a group of 15 individuals who "served" in three of the bloodiest wars of aggression in the last 60 years. I would be far more interested to know whether they killed any innocent people during their "service" than whether they endorse Trump.

Perhaps next on the list will be endorsements from "Ukraine veterans." Trump is Putin's buddy, after all.
The Medal of Honor has no requirement for a recipient to have killed anyone. The key criterion is the recipient putting his own life in peril to save others and going above and beyond the call of duty. Duty isn't about killing. Though I doubt you understand.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The Medal of Honor has no requirement for a recipient to have killed anyone. The key criterion is the recipient putting his own life in peril to save others and going above and beyond the call of duty. Duty isn't about killing.

I'm aware of all of that, and just to elaborate on my previous post, by no means do I believe that all retired military personnel, whether they have participated in a war or not, have necessarily killed any innocent people. I do question this group's invocation of their medals while supporting Trump, however, and I don't think the medals give them any more credibility than any other citizen.

Though I doubt you understand.

You can spare your doubt, although even if I didn't know any of the above, my position on Trump would still stand.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How was "service" in Afghanistan, Iraq and Vietnam "serving this great nation?" These wars did nothing to preserve and protect American freedom. They were not about preserving freedom. American freedom was not under threat. If anything they curtailed American freedom and generated the police-surveillance state we find ourselves in today.

U.S. military campaigns have been largely aimed, directly or indirectly, at promoting or protecting American corporate interests. Freedom, safety, and prosperity at home has rarely been their goal.

Why do these warriors support Trump? What do fifteen heroic chauvinists see in a reactionary, isolationist, nativist?

Shaul

Premium Member
How was "service" in Afghanistan, Iraq and Vietnam "serving this great nation?" These wars did nothing to preserve and protect American freedom. They were not about preserving freedom. American freedom was not under threat. If anything they curtailed American freedom and generated the police-surveillance state we find ourselves in today.

U.S. military campaigns have been largely aimed, directly or indirectly, at promoting or protecting American corporate interests. Freedom, safety, and prosperity at home has rarely been their goal.

Why do these warriors support Trump? What do fifteen heroic chauvinists see in a reactionary, isolationist, nativist?
The honor and valor of their service is independent of the decisions that the body politic of America made to go to those conflicts. If you have a grievance about those conflicts they are not to blame for that.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The honor and valor of their service is independent of the decisions that the body politic of America made to go to those conflicts. If you have a grievance about those conflicts they are not to blame for that.
People are individually responsible for their actions. They chose to serve an organization dedicated to killing people, breaking things, and ruining lives. I don't see that as honorable, even if they were duped into believing they were protecting someone, somehow.

If I tell you to go and shoot someone, who is responsible when you do? What gives anyone, including a government, the authority to order others to sin? Neither a General nor a government can take sin upon themselves. Why is it OK to kill people for a government, but not for your local street gang or a drugs cartel?

Twilight Hue

One could say it makes for a safer world because you just don't let the bad guys win or get stronger.

These nations are well known for their maliciousness and brutality all too well on the world stage.

Shaul

Premium Member
People are individually responsible for their actions. They chose to serve an organization dedicated to killing people, breaking things, and ruining lives. I don't see that as honorable, even if they were duped into believing they were protecting someone, somehow.
They chose to serve their country in its armed forces and made that commitment before they were ordered to go into conflict. They trusted the body politic. Any failure isn't theirs. I am pretty sure they wouldn't care that you don't approve.
If I tell you to go and shoot someone, who is responsible when you do? What gives anyone, including a government, the authority to order others to sin? Neither a General nor a government can take sin upon themselves. Why is it OK to kill people for a government, but not for your local street gang or a drugs cartel?
Sovereign nations have the power to take the lives of others just as societies and individuals do and the onus of being held accountable for doing so. If you feel so strongly that America was wrong then you should show ethical integrity by leaving it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
“We, 15 Medal of Honor recipients, Having served this great nation in wars, we support and endorse Donald J. Trump for President of the United States.

We believe that American citizenship is a revered privilege. We believe that a patriotic nation is a strong nation. We believe that the sacrifices of the men and women of our armed forces preserve and protect American freedom“says part of the document signed by the decorated members of the armed forces.

Group of Congressional Medal of Honor recipients backs Trump | indianetworknews.com
I wonder if this is about damage control from his disparaging remarks about MOH recipients in August:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One could say it makes for a safer world because you just don't let the bad guys win or get stronger.

These nations are well known for their maliciousness and brutality all too well on the world stage.
What makes for a safer world -- American military adventurism? It creates the "bad guys." It creates the very enemies it purports to be protecting us from. The maliciousness and brutality are largely a product of U.S. foreign policy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

A lot of the recipients got their Medals of Honor for actions that didn't involve killing anyone.

I checked out the list of names on the endorsement on Trump's campaign website and cross-checking them against the list of living MOH recipients. I got through the "B" names before deciding that the names on the purported endorsements all seem to be real MOH recipients. This one stood out:

He got his Medal of Honor for actions as a medical helicopter pilot in Vietnam, doing multiple flights into a landing zone obscured by fog and under enemy fire to rescue wounded American soldiers. AFAICT, his Medal of Honor didn't involve firing even a shot.

What I'm wondering about is how this will shake out over the next few days. I doubt that this happened organically; I presume that Trump's campaign reached out to all 60 living MOH recipients to solicit an endorsement. I wonder if we're going to get some of the purported endorsers putting out statements about how they've been misrepresented. I also wonder how many of the 45 MOH recipients who didn't endorse Trump are going to do interviews where they say things to the effect of "yeah - one of Trump's team called me to ask me to endsorse him and I told the guy to go to hell."

It may be an interesting news cycle coming up.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How was "service" in Afghanistan, Iraq and Vietnam "serving this great nation?"

Most MOH recipients took actions that allowed a whole bunch of American soldiers to get home alive instead of dying right there. I would say that this is a service to the USA regardless of the larger context of whichever war they were fighting.

I have no idea... especially since he disparaged the MOH and its recipients in a public speech just a few months ago.

... but the Trump campaign has listed the names of the purported endorsers on their website, so I expect that reporters are working diligently to set up interviews with each of them to find out what the heck they were thinking with their endorsement (if the endorsement is genuine).

Daemon Sophic

Wow! The Insurrectionist traitor got 15 people? Wo-yaaaawn-w!

Conservative, military leaders sound alarm on danger of reelecting Trump

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/arti...r-u-s-military-leaders-endorsed-kamala-harris

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/te...s-back-harris-call-trump-a-danger-2024-09-09/

Former defense secretaries, national security leaders rally for Harris

More than 740 former national security officials released a letter Sunday supporting Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential bid and decrying former President Donald Trump as dangerous to the future of America.”

““This election is a choice between serious leadership and vengeful impulsiveness,” the letter states. “It is a choice between democracy and authoritarianism. Vice President Harris defends America’s democratic ideals, while former President Donald Trump endangers them.”

====================

Twilight Hue

Wow! The Insurrectionist traitor got 15 people? Wo-yaaaawn-w!

Conservative, military leaders sound alarm on danger of reelecting Trump

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/arti...r-u-s-military-leaders-endorsed-kamala-harris

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/te...s-back-harris-call-trump-a-danger-2024-09-09/

Former defense secretaries, national security leaders rally for Harris

More than 740 former national security officials released a letter Sunday supporting Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential bid and decrying former President Donald Trump as dangerous to the future of America.”

““This election is a choice between serious leadership and vengeful impulsiveness,” the letter states. “It is a choice between democracy and authoritarianism. Vice President Harris defends America’s democratic ideals, while former President Donald Trump endangers them.”

====================

Only you would try to minimize 15 people who risked life and limb for this country. Pretty typical of your ilk. You must be very proud of yourself.