• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

20th Century History

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I wanted to know what people consider to be the most historically signifigant event of the 20th Century? I would have to say the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, but would love to hear what you guys think. I am willing to go into more detail on my pick if anyone wants.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That's a good pick, Spacemonkey, but how about the rise of environmentalism as a significant event?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not trying to devalue your proposal, Spacemonkey. Its a good one, though I suspect that if Ferdinand hadn't been offed some other event would have triggered The Great War.

The Trinity test just popped to mind when I read your question. It changed the whole equation. :biglaugh:

Yerda

Veteran Member
December 9th, 1983, for me, hosted the single most significant event of the 20th century, and the remainder of history for that matter.

Aqualung

Tasty
spacemonkey said:
None of those events occur without the assassination of the Archduke.
That's true, but if the lusitania hadn't sunk, then who knows where we would be today? If the archduke hadn't been assassinated, the lusitania wouldn't have sunk. But I think, even though the Lusitania follows from the assassination, it is of greater consequence than the assassination itself.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
That's true, but if the lusitania hadn't sunk, then who knows where we would be today? If the archduke hadn't been assassinated, the lusitania wouldn't have sunk. But I think, even though the Lusitania follows from the assassination, it is of greater consequence than the assassination itself.
The sinking of the Lusitania only triggered the United States entry into a war that had been going on for a couple years. I can't see how an event that only involves one countries late entry into a war of more consequence then the event that triggered the war. Since WWII was a direct effect of the Treaty of Versilles, you could say the assassination of the Archduke started both World Wars.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Jaiket said:
December 9th, 1983, for me, hosted the single most significant event of the 20th century, and the remainder of history for that matter.
OK, I've looked on the internet and I can't find it. What event do you mean?

Aqualung

Tasty
spacemonkey said:
The sinking of the Lusitania only triggered the United States entry into a war that had been going on for a couple years. I can't see how an event that only involves one countries late entry into a war of more consequence then the event that triggered the war. Since WWII was a direct effect of the Treaty of Versilles, you could say the assassination of the Archduke started both World Wars.
Because it validated them as a super-power, or at least a country that was rising fast. They were no longer that baby of a country across the pond. They were a formidable country. It also helped bring the US out of their isolationism, which was a nother thing that brought us to super-power-dom.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Well, for me it would be the end of the Cold War. That was a momentous time for both international politics and the life of my Church. Personally, the single most important event within the overall end of European communism was the December revolution in Romania. Had that not happened I'd never have met my wife, never have had my children and, quite conceivably, never have become Orthodox either. Without the fall of communism, I'd almost certainly have never met the majority of my family either as they were separated from us by the Iron Curtain, being mostly Czechs and Slovaks. I'd say that what a person considers most historically significant is the event that has the greatest impact upon them and their family, and as the end of the Cold War had both personal and general effects of great importance I'd choose that every time.

James

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Not sure if my first thought is actually the same as yours, james, but I would have thought the knocking down of the Berlin wall, maybe Nelson Mandella being freed and the disolution of apartheit..............;)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I would have to say the attack on Pearl Harbor. If that would have not happened, the United States would have not entered the war until much later, and without the attitude we had. A different outcome might very well have happened.

Solon

spacemonkey said:
I wanted to know what people consider to be the most historically signifigant event of the 20th Century? I would have to say the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, but would love to hear what you guys think. I am willing to go into more detail on my pick if anyone wants.
Well, the discovery of Penecillin and Valium. The work of Einstein.

Solon

Sunstone said:
That's a good pick, Spacemonkey, but how about the rise of environmentalism as a significant event?
Could we even call it a rise, especially in the US. In the last presidential debates the enviroment wasn't mentioned once. Displaying how far from our minds it seems to be.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All right then. Should we add the 1962 publication of Silent Spring by Rachel Carson to the list, then?
Silent Spring launched the modern environmental movement.