• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

21st Century mysticism

wayfaring

Is there anyone here into mysticism or had mystical experiences? I think that mysticism is the essence of all religion and a very important, indeed core component of spirituality. At a time when many traditional approaches are under attack from post modernism, mysticism offers a key post-mataphysical approach. (aka Ken Wilber's Integral spirituality). Having spent over thirty years in the spiritual quest, my mystical experiences have proved to be the the most enduring, satifysing and deep. These experiences have been both within and outside of the Christian framework (my initial religious orientation). But now I draw from many of the worlds religions and have found Eckhart, Shankara and Ibn-al-Arabi to be thinkers most in tune with my own experience. (I take a theomorphic panentheistic stance) I think mysticism offers a way of dealing with differences and contradictions in world religions, and a path forward from old forms, out of the shadows and into the light.

Paladin

I have always loved the mystic poets like Rumi, dilligently read the Dharma talks by Shunryu Suzuki, went to Mass, and a host of other practices in my life. It was reading St. John of the Cross that touched me most of all, for it was in The Ascent of Mt. Carmel that I found a kinship, an explanation if you will of the experiences I have had all my life. These have intensified in the last nine years and it is most helpful to read the old Christian mystics and even the more modern writers like Merton. Interesting though, what I experience within myself isn't dependant on the practice I choose. Whether I call it "suchness" Buddha mind" or "God" doesn't matter much, the inner connection is the same.
I completely agree that the mystic experience is the heart of religion and practice,though because of temperament or constitution there are many who cannot experience this "Infused contemplation" I think it is these brothers and sisters who are most likely to embrace a more juridical approach to spirituality.

Peace
Mark

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I've recently moved on from Gnosticism to a more generalised mysticism.

At the moment i'm finding an agnostic mystic approach the most appealing i.e. trying not to make any assumptions about God, but being an empty field that the seeds of truth can be planted in.

See what is in front of your eyes, and what is hidden from you will be revealed.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I also like Eckhart. I've found much wisdon in the writings of Campbell, Jung, Tillich, Spong, Cassirer, Dostoevsky and Nietzsche as well.

Random

I am a practitioner of freeform (or "syncretic" if you like) mysticism and have been for 15 years.

wayfaring

Yes, I have found Spong interesting too...mainly in helping to shake off my off fundamentalist beliefs. Though anumber of my experiences have been spontaneous, I have used free imagery techniques...meditation and relaxation initially using guided imagery approaches as advocated in psychosynthesis, and then moving on to a free imagery approach, where the imagery takes its own course instead of being restricted by a verbal guidance template.

What I liked about Arabi was the idea of the ever-changing forms of the Formless, and the idea of the imagination as a peninsula between the Divine and human.

Paladin

I really appreciate people sharing about their spiritual experience and pathways, it gets a bit lonely out there sometimes and sharing with others, sometimes even family leaves me feeling as if either I am crazy or else I get funny looks from them. My wife tries mightily to understand me when I ramble on, trying in vain to put an experience into words that by its own nature is wordless. Ever try talking to a priest about these things?

Peace
Mark

doppelganger

wayfaring said:
Yes, I have found Spong interesting too...mainly in helping to shake off my off fundamentalist beliefs. Though anumber of my experiences have been spontaneous, I have used free imagery techniques...meditation and relaxation initially using guided imagery approaches as advocated in psychosynthesis, and then moving on to a free imagery approach, where the imagery takes its own course instead of being restricted by a verbal guidance template.

Yes, for me it's a process of finding the right feel in the poetry and philosophy of different traditions and seeing the inter-connected metaphorical experience that sits behind or through the words and for which they are a pointer.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Halcyon said:
I've recently moved on from Gnosticism to a more generalised mysticism.

At the moment i'm finding an agnostic mystic approach the most appealing i.e. trying not to make any assumptions about God, but being an empty field that the seeds of truth can be planted in.

See what is in front of your eyes, and what is hidden from you will be revealed.

That's an interesting shift, Halcyon - one which I must echos mine (but not from the same standpoint).

I think, looking back, that I was "into" mysticism when I was in my early adulthood..I then went through a phase of "going back to the conventional path" - and now, again, I am being drawn to the mysticism..

At least now, I have gone through the "Am I being bad, doing such things ?" - and I can honestly answer that, no - I don't think even God would see me as being bad, because the mysticism is for the betterment of other people's lives...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Paladin said:
I really appreciate people sharing about their spiritual experience and pathways, it gets a bit lonely out there sometimes and sharing with others, sometimes even family leaves me feeling as if either I am crazy or else I get funny looks from them. My wife tries mightily to understand me when I ramble on, trying in vain to put an experience into words that by its own nature is wordless. Ever try talking to a priest about these things?

Peace
Mark

It is almost impossible to discuss mystical experiences with those who have never had them. This is testament to how far beyond normal awareness mystical experiences are.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
michel said:
At least now, I have gone through the "Am I being bad, doing such things ?" - and I can honestly answer that, no - I don't think even God would see me as being bad, because the mysticism is for the betterment of other people's lives...
Interesting Mich, i never really had the "am i doing bad" phase, i guess because i wasn't brought up to worship a God and so feel subservient.

Mysticism is the path that people follow when they want to experience God first hand, rather than worship Him from afar, i can't imagine God would disapprove of us wanting to know Him.

des

I have had many experiences that I would describe as mystic-- somehow catching a glimpse of the transcendent (however you would want to describe them). They have been varied-- from experiences in nature to some things sort of out of the blue. It is one thing I miss about epilepsy. I had many more of these experiences when I had seizures out of the control. I don't know what that says (though I have heard of it before-- however, I have never gotten any other person with epilepsy to ever say that they had any good experiences or that there was any good in it. I was run out of a epileptic forum for suggesting this.). Perhaps it says that the brain is a strange and wonderful playland. I think that real mystics must have control of states that epileptics get randomly.

--des

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does anyone think that in the 21st Century, mysticism is, in some ways, going to receive support from science, especially neurobiology and psychology?

I myself think science is likely to "discover" what mystics have asserted for ages: That there are other states of awareness besides normal consciousness, and that these states of awareness are, at the very least, no more pathological nor delusional than normal consciousness. But that's just a hunch.

XAAX

wayfaring said:
Is there anyone here into mysticism or had mystical experiences? I think that mysticism is the essence of all religion and a very important, indeed core component of spirituality. At a time when many traditional approaches are under attack from post modernism, mysticism offers a key post-mataphysical approach. (aka Ken Wilber's Integral spirituality). Having spent over thirty years in the spiritual quest, my mystical experiences have proved to be the the most enduring, satifysing and deep. These experiences have been both within and outside of the Christian framework (my initial religious orientation). But now I draw from many of the worlds religions and have found Eckhart, Shankara and Ibn-al-Arabi to be thinkers most in tune with my own experience. (I take a theomorphic panentheistic stance) I think mysticism offers a way of dealing with differences and contradictions in world religions, and a path forward from old forms, out of the shadows and into the light.

You would appear to be a being of understanding. Always nice to have more of our kind around...Your beliefs sound very similar to my own...Welcome

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think it is nearly impossible to go through life without having a mystical experience (if one does not consider life to be a mystical experience itself).

For me, a mystical experience is anything that affects a person so profoundly that she or he cannot imagine life as anything but meaningful.

For instance, when I first experienced a sunset over the ocean I actually exclaimed "My god, there is a God!" I cried on the spot.

Meditations in the woods often are extremely mystical for me, in that I often undergo a mental shift from my normal, habitual state, to an uplifting, positive feeling of Being. I am alive and connected in every way!

Listening to Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever," or Kansas' "The Wall" while laying in sweet, spring-soaked grass gazing at the stars is a surefire way towards a mystical experience!

des

I think there already is a lot of support/respect for mysticism in general and esp (right now) for various practitioners of meditation. They have been
studied in the lab.

There are scientists who have discussions with the Dali Lama. These discussions really aren't about Buddhism (as a belief system), anyway.

I certainly think there is going to be very much more of this.

--des

Sunstone said:
Does anyone think that in the 21st Century, mysticism is, in some ways, going to receive support from science, especially neurobiology and psychology?

I myself think science is likely to "discover" what mystics have asserted for ages: That there are other states of awareness besides normal consciousness, and that these states of awareness are, at the very least, no more pathological nor delusional than normal consciousness. But that's just a hunch.

doppelganger

Sunstone said:

You're in good company, Phil. Einstein essentially said the same thing: mystical experience underlies science as well. Psychology is a modern mythology, but like any mythology, it too is about mystical experience.