• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35,000 year old Venus

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Research the Gap Theory. Which I find interesting and feel is kinda what is really going on as far as the earths age is concerned. But not even the Gap Theory gives an exact age of the earth.

In geological science, its hard for us to date rocks older than 100,000 years old. So so many factors affect the earth. Dating comes from experience in the field and eliminating variables where possible.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

themadhair

In geological science, its hard for us to date rocks older than 100,000 years old.
It is relatively easy to put minimum dates on some sedimentary layers though. The snag with geology is that, should a rock lie there for a couple of extra hundred million years, it doesn't have a sign saying please add an extra hundred million years to my formation timescale.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

As to where the idea of a 6- or 7,000-year-old earth comes from, it is a claim made by Biblical "scholars" perhaps 150 years ago.

But regardless, the "35,000 years old" figure remains highly suspect because this is ten times older than those human civilizations we currently consider "ancient!"

While there were indeed humans around that long ago (and probably people making images, too), the idea that Venus was a concept among them is HIGHLY suspect, to say the least!

Bruce

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
While there were indeed humans around that long ago (and probably people making images, too), the idea that Venus was a concept among them is HIGHLY suspect, to say the least!

Bruce
I thought calling it "Venus" was just a nod to its accentuation of a woman's features, and possible connection to fertility. I don't think they were saying that this was actually the Venus.

Trey of Diamonds

But the term Venus is a label we applied to the carving, not the original creators. It is a fertility image common among ancient humans which is why we call it a Venus.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
True, it is not "Venus" per se, but a model of an "earth mother" or goddess known to modern man as a "Venus".

Arlanbb

That isn’t it. Doing the biblical genealogies gives an age around 4,000BC. Where the 10-12 thousands years comes from seems to be rather arbitrary. I wonder was it chosen because it is just outside the dendrochronological record which is one of the strongest pieces of dating evidence we have?

Hi Themadhair ~ I have just come back from the Tree-Ring Research Lab at Univ. of Arizona in Tucson and Dr. Rex Adams spent over two hours showing my wife and I throught the whole lab. They have built up a tree-ring chronology for bristal cone pines that dates back from today to over 8,000 years ago PLUS they have another group of tree-rings that is over 3000 years that fits on the end of the 8000 years but as of April 2009 they have not found the missing trees that connects them together. So in reality It looks like the tree-rings chronology could be at least 11,000 years old. Just thought you would like the latest information.

themadhair

[FONT=&quot]Hi Themadhair ~ I have just come back from the Tree-Ring Research Lab at Univ. of Arizona in Tucson and Dr. Rex Adams spent over two hours showing my wife and I throught the whole lab. They have built up a tree-ring chronology for bristal cone pines that dates back from today to over 8,000 years ago PLUS they have another group of tree-rings that is over 3000 years that fits on the end of the 8000 years but as of April 2009 they have not found the missing trees that connects them together. So in reality It looks like the tree-rings chronology could be at least 11,000 years old. Just thought you would like the latest information.[/FONT]
I’m well aware of it. Bristle cone pines are probably the best tree species for dendrochronology since they have phenomenally low rates of false/missing rings.

I still find it astounding how much information this research reveals regarding historical climate. It astounds me that this can even be done.

LittleNipper

This is the chap to blame - James Ussher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I refuse to believe that someone living in the US has never heard of biblical creationism (otherwise known as young earth creationism). Seriously, I believe you are trolling. I’ve encountered some on this very site for bleeding sake.

If they attended public school, such lack of seemingly common knowledge is very likely ----------- unfortunately.

LittleNipper

A remarkable ivory carving is arguably the oldest sculpture of a human figure yet found, scientists say. The distorted object, which portrays a woman with huge breasts, big buttocks and exaggerated genitals, is thought to be at least 35,000 years old.

The key words here are "thought to be." Such words sound very scientific in the face of not having a clue...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The key words here are "thought to be." Such words sound very scientific in the face of not having a clue...

Absolutely - it's far better to take the religious approach, and just go ahead and state things as indisputable fact, in the face of not having a clue.