• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40% of voters don't want a religious president

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What's your take on it besides "pretty interesting"?

According to some sociologists I was reading about the other day, there has been a growing backlash to the Religious Right since the 1980s.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Given that the Democrats' have the advantage this election season with religious talking points, I don't know how this will play out. I'm going to assume most of that 40% is made up of liberal voters [though I could be completely wrong].

I'm surprised to see that the number is so high, considering 85%-90% of the country does adhere to a religion. Maybe we'll see a mainstream non-religious candidate soon? We had the first openly non-theist congressman come out this year.

I am part of the 40%. Not because of my religious preferrence but because it is not very fair the way it is currently setup. Meaning, if a president of a particular faith comes into office they generally try to impose their own religious veiw point on the rest of us. If there was a way to limit laws that could be passed by the president that pertain to morality. For example, if a president who had a problem with gays or abortion came into office, they would not be able to pass a law against them. If that were the case I bet the 40% would not care either.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
If there was a way to limit laws that could be passed by the president that pertain to morality. For example, if a president who had a problem with gays or abortion came into office, they would not be able to pass a law against them. If that were the case I bet the 40% would not care either.

I think the better way is to limit his power of veto on moral or religious matters.
If the Houses pass a bill it should just go through.
Or like the house of lords here ... they can send a bill back or even amend it a couple of times.... but when it come back again then they have to pass it.
It gives every one more time for thought .... but not for ever.

jonny

I'm part of that 40% also. I don't care if a president is member of a religion, but I do care if a president (as is currently the case) feels like his obligation is to the religious right (as opposed to the American people).

Aasimar

Atheist
I personally believe we should have a black lesbian atheist president next. Let's just get all the discrimination out in one fell swoop.

jonny

I personally believe we should have a black lesbian atheist president next. Let's just get all the discrimination out in one fell swoop.

Who would that be? We can get a black, woman, Mormon president if we can convince Gladys Knight to run.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Given that the Democrats' have the advantage this election season with religious talking points, I don't know how this will play out. I'm going to assume most of that 40% is made up of liberal voters [though I could be completely wrong].

I'm surprised to see that the number is so high, considering 85%-90% of the country does adhere to a religion. Maybe we'll see a mainstream non-religious candidate soon? We had the first openly non-theist congressman come out this year.

FOXNews and the rest of the Hard Right love to trumpet this statistic. What they conveniently fail to mention is:

which, if you do the math, means that a lot of religious people don't want integration of church and state. Sorry, Religious Right, but there are just enough people in this country who have a healthy enough dose of reality not to fall for this desire.

Hell, we could go all the way and get Cynthia McKinney. :D

tmaromine

Equal Rights need to be written into US law as if into stone and just not even allowed to be pondered to be changed as long as we are the United States of America based on the Declaration of Indedpendence and Bill of Rights.

I don't much care if the president is religious, as long as s/he does not put their beliefs into things, as has already been said a few times here... But I think it would be easier to just get an atheists president and then nothing has to be worried about really.

I don't much care for Bush. He's had his share of little religious promotions, 'God is behind me in this war' (non direct quote, but some thing like that), and (supposedly only with his secretary or some one behind closed doors): 'No atheist is a citizen of America'. And I believe the latter was toward a middle-school range student. Bush is promoting his religion, and talks about the people behind our backs. (Well, 'supposedly' he does, I guess.)

But not to go off topic: I don't want a religious president.

Oh, and: one can see that we really can be a sad people when one has to "come out" about being atheistic.

Marke

In 08 (unless someone comes out of the blue) every candidate will be claiming to be christian.
Now, you have to decide which is worse, a "true believer" or someone that is pandering to a perceived majority.

I will look for someone that talks about issues more instead of there personal faith or there opponent.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
But a majority of Americans (66 percent) said the candidate’s specific religious affiliation is not relevant to their voting decision while 27.8 percent do consider a candidates specific religious affiliation. [ibid]
The thread title is deceptive.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I don't care if the President is Catholic or FSM as long as they don't foam at the mouth ranting about religion or God moving them in anyway, shape, or form. But it's relieving to hear that religion is becoming less important in politicians, and maybe we'll see more atheists/agnostics "come out of the closet" because of it. Though I think it's absurd that any politician should feel uncomfortable about being atheistic anyway.

wednesday

Jesus
Religious beliefs could possibly get in the way of your decision making as a political leader couldn't they? When you govern 60 million people that could cause chaos? Religion has no place in politics regardless.

Smoke

Done here.
Religious beliefs could possibly get in the way of your decision making as a political leader couldn't they?
Look at George W. Bush. If your religious beliefs are stupid enough, they can make you the worst president in the history of the United States.