• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A 20 Euro bill

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It now sits on my desk ... to provoke thought.

I suspect it's true for most of us - folks from the US traveling in Europe: Euro coinage is a mildly unwelcomed irritant readily used as tips when at all possible. At least that's how it was for me a few weeks ago as my wife and I vacationed in Greece and Italy.

Towards the end of out trip (billed as a Greek Island Cruise) we found ourselves walking up a narrow access street to get to the heart of the old city of Sorrento. There wasn't a great deal to see on that first block except a beggar woman with child sitting on the right side of the road.

I'm never entirely sure how I want to handle these sitiations. Frankly, while I tend to be fairly generous when it comes to giving tzedakah (charity), I typically do so by donating to organizations that I trust and appreciate. But I've given to beggars in the past, she had a young child asleep in her arms, and I had a handful of those unwanted Euro coins in my pocket. So I reached for the coins.

My task got more difficult as I got closer. She was hard to look at. Much of her nose was gone as if surgically removed. It looked almost swine-like. She seemed young; her sleeping child was perhaps two years old. She maintained this slow swaying motion, alternately looking up miserably with her hand out and then, as if realizing how she appeared, bowing her head and bring her hand back to cover her nose and face - all this while rocking the child.

I approached her, smiled, gave her the money and then walked on, all while trying not to look at her too long or too directly. She said something like "a million thanks ... God bless you" in Italian. I'm not really sure. I speak no Italian.

Sorrento was beautiful. The day was pristine and we ate outside. The food was good and our waitress was young, attentive, and very pleasant. And I kept picturing the young woman without a nose.

To get back to our tour bus we pretty much had to retrace our steps, i.e., back past the beggar woman. I asked my wife to give me all her change and repeated the whole process that had taken place earlier.

As we walked on and later drove away, I found myself feeling somewhat ashamed that I had not said more to the woman, that I had not conveyed more sympathy, and that I had limited myself to those disposable Euro coins. I had just spent about 20 Euros on a bottle of wine. I could have easily given this woman 20 Euros as well. 20 Euros ...

Most travelers convert their foreign currency at the end of their vacation. When we arrived the airport, and after purchasing the requisite snacks and stuff, I found myself left with a single 20 Euro bill. Looking at it, I thought about the young woman without a nose. It now sits on my desk ... to provoke thought. It might be one of the more valuable things I brought back from the trip.

Last edited:

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I think that is a thought provoking story indeed.

I occasionally come across such people on my travels and I usually give them some small change or buy them some food. However I am always left wondering how they got to be in that situation in the first place. In most places I venture there is a fairly good social security system and it is quite difficult to fall through the cracks; and yet people do. I have also seen beggars here in the UK and also in America. I have even dedicated a few Christmas seasons to working with homeless people. I have heard many of their stories about how they came to be in that situation, but it is still hard to pin down a particular way in which society is failing these people; or what would be the most effective way to prevent this kind of poverty in the midst of our richest cities.

Wirey

Fartist
In Italy, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I believe cutting a woman's nose off is punishment for infidelity. It gives the artificial appearance of a vagina on the face (sort of a permanent scarlet letter, so to speak). I think you saw the end result of a jealous husband.

How much empathy we have is a struggle each of us must deal with. I never, and I mean never, give money to a beggar. When I was a younger man, I saw a man begging for money for food, so I went to Reggie's Sandwich Shop and bought him a sandwich and a milk. When I gave it to him, he said "What the hell am I supposed to do with that?" I did the same thing years later in Fort McMurray and almost cried at how violently the old guy I gave it to (Subway this time) hawwed into it. That said, I donate cash to the food bank, and kid's sporting organizations, and that's about it for me and charity. If it makes you feel better, you did more than most of us would have.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
In Italy, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I believe cutting a woman's nose off is punishment for infidelity. It gives the artificial appearance of a vagina on the face (sort of a permanent scarlet letter, so to speak). I think you saw the end result of a jealous husband.
I lived in Italy quite a while and I have never heard of that, so I think you are wrong.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
After finishing my army service, I traveled Europe as a young backpacker, at some point I stayed in London for a few months where I worked while enjoying the city.
London has no shortage of beggers, and I used to find original ways to interact with them and give them of my share. Since I didn't earn much and was illegal to work to begin with I couldn't give money on daily basis. So I used to give the homeless food that I bought in supermarkets, sandwiches, fruits and clothes. These people were always greatful to receive such things. But occasionally I did give money, and to a homeless girl I was familiar with I did hand a 20 pounds note once, that in itself was a major chunck out of my overall daily sallary.
I think I related a lot to these people in those days. Maybe because I was young and traveling a lot, and I used to find plenty of homeless people to have an interesting discussion with in order to pass the time, so it was pretty obvious and natural to share with them food, clothes, or money. Hell even buying a guy on the street a cup of coffee can be a day changer.

Last edited:
I'm currently on holiday in Sorrento and the first day my boyfriend and I arrived we were led by a tour guide and about a dozen other people, I saw the very same woman, her nose cut off, she had a baby in her arms and two other children, a young boy and a girl who looked to between 4 and 6.
we had just given some euros to a begging man just up the road, when I passed by this woman with no nose I could see the sorrow in her eyes, she looked so desperate, I wanted to stop and give her money, ask her if she was okay. No one else on the tour stopped or even looked at her, as we were led into the ice cream shop I had to step away and burst into tears, I felt bad that I was able to be on my holiday while she was suffering, that I wasn't able to do anything for her. I'd never seen anyone with so much sadness.
We spent the rest of our week looking for her, eventually we found her sitting on the steps of the main church in Sorrento, we handed her €10 euro and a big bottle of cold water, she seemed very greatful and was almost in tears, she thanked us and tried talking to us in Italian but unfortunately I couldn't understand. I will never forget this woman or the feeling I got when I looked into her eyes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

How much empathy we have is a struggle each of us must deal with. I never, and I mean never, give money to a beggar. When I was a younger man, I saw a man begging for money for food, so I went to Reggie's Sandwich Shop and bought him a sandwich and a milk. When I gave it to him, he said "What the hell am I supposed to do with that?" I did the same thing years later in Fort McMurray and almost cried at how violently the old guy I gave it to (Subway this time) hawwed into it. That said, I donate cash to the food bank, and kid's sporting organizations, and that's about it for me and charity. If it makes you feel better, you did more than most of us would have.
There's a lesson to be learned there.
Subway is better than Reggie's.