• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A House Divided

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I wrote a post the other day that I have had suggested to me might be suitable for a thread of its own. On reflection, I actually think it might. I think this because I think it addresses probably the most important -- and potentially the most destructive -- aspect of the upcoming election (not to mention the last couple of elections).

Think of Matthew 12:25 - "“Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand."

At the end of the day, when it comes to facing the rest of the world, America must face it together, as one nation, one unity, for otherwise, its enemies will have absolutely no difficulty at all turning its own citizens against each other, and those enemies can then just sit comfortably by and wait to pick up the pieces.

So, the other day, I wrote:

Listen! Just bloody LISTEN to Trump's rhetoric -- on Fox:

"I think the bigger problem are the people from within. We've got very bad people and sick people, radical left and lunatics. It should be easily handled, if necessary by national guard, or if really necessary the military. They can't let that happen. We have two enemies. The outside enemy and the enemy from within. The enemy from within is more dangerous than China, Russia and these countries."

Look into your heart -- do you really believe that your neighbors, the people you work with, your kids' friends, the nurses and doctors who treat you, the shopkeepers you see daily, the teachers who prepare your heirs to face the life ahead -- do you really believe, as Trump says, that they are the real danger you have to face? That these are the people you should be siccing your bloody military on?!?

Because that's what he's telling you! He is trying to make you frightened of absolutely everything, while pretending that your only hope of safety is the amazing Donald Trump!! This is the very perfect example of a demagogue trying to divide you so that he can conquer you! (And you all know all of the other examples: the foul names he concocts for all his political "enemies," Christians against women and LGBTQ+, white folks against immigrants, and endlessly, endlessly Right against Left as if somehow political dialogue, compromise and consensus have just recently become impossible -- when in fact they built the nation!)

Are you really going to bloody let him? Really?

This is the real dilemma that America faces -- and I say this as an outsider looking in.

Pogo

I wrote a post the other day that I have had suggested to me might be suitable for a thread of its own. On reflection, I actually think it might. I think this because I think it addresses probably the most important -- and potentially the most destructive -- aspect of the upcoming election (not to mention the last couple of elections).

Think of Matthew 12:25 - "“Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand."

At the end of the day, when it comes to facing the rest of the world, America must face it together, as one nation, one unity, for otherwise, its enemies will have absolutely no difficulty at all turning its own citizens against each other, and those enemies can then just sit comfortably by and wait to pick up the pieces.

"I think the bigger problem are the people from within. We've got very bad people and sick people, radical left and lunatics. It should be easily handled, if necessary by national guard, or if really necessary the military. They can't let that happen. We have two enemies. The outside enemy and the enemy from within. The enemy from within is more dangerous than China, Russia and these countries."

Look into your heart -- do you really believe that your neighbors, the people you work with, your kids' friends, the nurses and doctors who treat you, the shopkeepers you see daily, the teachers who prepare your heirs to face the life ahead -- do you really believe, as Trump says, that they are the real danger you have to face? That these are the people you should be siccing your bloody military on?!?

Because that's what he's telling you! He is trying to make you frightened of absolutely everything, while pretending that your only hope of safety is the amazing Donald Trump!! This is the very perfect example of a demagogue trying to divide you so that he can conquer you! (And you all know all of the other examples: the foul names he concocts for all his political "enemies," Christians against women and LGBTQ+, white folks against immigrants, and endlessly, endlessly Right against Left as if somehow political dialogue, compromise and consensus have just recently become impossible -- when in fact they built the nation!)

This is the real dilemma that America faces -- and I say this as an outsider looking in.
And it all sounds like an appropriate and simple solution to your fears, it takes critical thinking to look at the evidence (which is never immediate) and will the proposed solution really address the situation. Sure, I am not happy and you say somebody is eating cats and the mayor says no, but maybe they are and getting rid of cat eaters would be a good idea in that case and then the world would be a little better.

But please, don't stop there in your thinking just because you aren't happy.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And it all sounds like an appropriate and simple solution to your fears, it takes critical thinking to look at the evidence (which is never immediate) and will the proposed solution really address the situation. Sure, I am not happy and you say somebody is eating cats and the mayor says no, but maybe they are and getting rid of cat eaters would be a good idea in that case and then the world would be a little better.

But please, don't stop there in your thinking just because you aren't happy.
Sorry, I confess I am somewhat confused, not quite sure what your point is. So I really can't answer sensibly.

Blame it on my increasing age...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
One or the other of us needs another Molson.

I shouldn't have quoted you because it wasn't really a reply just a comment as was your OP.
Don't know about you, but I've just got my next pint (and it is Molson) delivered by my favourite barkeep.
20241015_183331 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
You give a trump way too much power.
You paint Trump as evil incarnate.
He’s just a man with imperfections like the rest of us.
No matter who’s president there will always be haters. Count on that reality!

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox

Sadly, I think Trump will win the state I live in (PA) which probably means he will win the election.

Pogo

I'll be damned if I know how to rotate that image 90 degrees clockwise.
find a teenager, but I think you need to edit it before you paste it, in the phone or in your photo file and then save.
I figured out how to crop on my new phone yesterday without help. yeah me.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sorry, I confess I am somewhat confused, not quite sure what your point is. So I really can't answer sensibly.

It appears that when saying ...

Sure, I am not happy and you say somebody is eating cats and the mayor says no, but maybe they are and getting rid of cat eaters would be a good idea in that case and then the world would be a little better.

... the "but maybe they are and getting rid of cat eaters would be a good idea" phrase is double-talk for "maybe Trump-Vance are correct and we'd be a whole lot better if we get rid of the genetically inferior trash who are polluting the blood of our country."

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Pogo

It appears that when saying ...

... the "but maybe they are and getting rid of cat eaters would be a good idea" phrase is double-talk for "maybe Trump-Vance are correct and we'd be a whole lot better if we get rid of the genetically inferior trash who are polluting the blood of our country."

Let's hope I'm wrong.
You got it, convincing my Jewish girlfriends grandmother that I wasn't one of the "double-talkers" in spite of my German mother was difficult.

It was however instructional and a good lesson in just how such attitudes do exist and the reasons to recognize and fight them.

I also hope we are wrong, but seemingly easy solutions are still too often preferred to thoughtful ones.

(don't get me going on gods)