• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Miracle. And a question.

ibfragalot

Tonight I have experienced what I can only describe as a miracle.

I am not an overly religious person. I do not follow institutionalized religious organizations. But I do believe in God. I believe in a greater being.

This debate has been within me as a child, and now an adult.

Recently I have been following a negative path. A path which could destroy me, my home, and my family. I feel that I must say that I am not a person who is addicted to drugs or alcohol - I am not a person afflicted with such things. I am a fairly normal person, a reasonably smart person - a person whose normal type of my age (Gen X/Y) might most commonly be an athiest... but that has not and never has been me. I have always believed in God, inside my personal thoughts.

But tonight I truly feel that God has not only given me a true Miracle, but also in doing so taught me a lesson. I do not want to go into detail as it is very personal, but honestly, so honestly, I can say that the odds of tonight ending in a nightmare situation were so very real, beyond hope, I can say that only moments after I so desperately prayed to God the situation was instantly reversed as per my prayer.

This is not the first time this has happened, as a child a few times in a desperate situation I have met such fortune, but this time it was just so obvious that I was being taught a lesson. And a lesson I needed - a lesson that will benefit not just me, but my family. I cannot stress enough the extreme odds that the situation would have ended in a nightmare scenario, but at the last moment after I prayed, it was as if almost instantly resolved, so much so that I feel as if I am in a dream right now...

And my question is only this.

What is the true symbol of God? I realise via the "bible" (which I personally feel is extremely tainted, but certainly am accepting of those who abide by it) that God does not wish to be represented by symbols, though as I've said I'm not big on institutionalized religion. I believe there is room to move there.

I need something to remind me every day of God. Previously I have worn a symbol of the Celtic Trinity around my neck, as this is about as close as I can find, and I have Celtic background. I am not sure about the crucifix - certainly I believe a person similar to Jesus existed, but I do not believe a crucifix to be a positive reminder of his existence.

Overall, I believe it is the trinity, but I am open to suggestions...

Thank you.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think whatever reminds you of God's presence in this world is appropriate. For some, it's a celtic cross or symbol, for some it's the crucifix, for some the empty cross, for others it's a smooth river rock they carry in their pocket.

If you are looking for some sort of item which captures and expresses the essence of your miracle, I would say to pray for guidance and then keep your eyes open. I think God will lead you to the perfect symbol. I don't think He is opposed to symbols and imagery - after all, read the book of Revelations, or the OT books of the prophets.

Thanks for sharing your story, and I hope things continue to improve in your life. God bless you and your family!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Are you talking to me? I am a New Orleans Saints fan! That may be why my "religion" sounds familiar to you. LOL!

Oh - and I am also a Christian.

ibfragalot

Kathryn - You are absolutely right. Thankyou. It's strange, the answer you gave was.. Hmm.. I don't know. Let's just say it was right - Straight from the source if you know what I mean :)

And NickTBate - Although I have exclusive (but pleasant) reservations about your religion, it also happens to be the religion to which the owner of the company I work for believes in (and which is without question one of the largest multinational companies! - lol - and also without which I could not afford my own home!) and although I have many doubts about the particulars of your faith I have absolutely zero doubt about your beliefs and the truth that is within them. So thank you as well. Your link does'nt work so well, so please do work on that, but I'll leave it in that certainly after today... well, although South Park is correct in many ways, I feel that perhaps they were not correct in the most important way - if that means anything to you :) If not, check it out hehe.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
There is no "true" symbol of God. What reminds you most of God? That is your symbol.

ellenjanuary

overall-mandelbrot.gif

Mandelbrot Set... That's what I got... on my arm, even. :D

But posters above me all speak truly. God much bigger than symbol. If you need symbol, you will find symbol; and your symbol will be the true symbol. ;)

Welcome to RF.

Tonight I have experienced what I can only describe as a miracle.

I am not an overly religious person. I do not follow institutionalized religious organizations. But I do believe in God. I believe in a greater being.

This debate has been within me as a child, and now an adult.

Recently I have been following a negative path. A path which could destroy me, my home, and my family. I feel that I must say that I am not a person who is addicted to drugs or alcohol - I am not a person afflicted with such things. I am a fairly normal person, a reasonably smart person - a person whose normal type of my age (Gen X/Y) might most commonly be an athiest... but that has not and never has been me. I have always believed in God, inside my personal thoughts.

But tonight I truly feel that God has not only given me a true Miracle, but also in doing so taught me a lesson. I do not want to go into detail as it is very personal, but honestly, so honestly, I can say that the odds of tonight ending in a nightmare situation were so very real, beyond hope, I can say that only moments after I so desperately prayed to God the situation was instantly reversed as per my prayer.

This is not the first time this has happened, as a child a few times in a desperate situation I have met such fortune, but this time it was just so obvious that I was being taught a lesson. And a lesson I needed - a lesson that will benefit not just me, but my family. I cannot stress enough the extreme odds that the situation would have ended in a nightmare scenario, but at the last moment after I prayed, it was as if almost instantly resolved, so much so that I feel as if I am in a dream right now...

And my question is only this.

What is the true symbol of God? I realise via the "bible" (which I personally feel is extremely tainted, but certainly am accepting of those who abide by it) that God does not wish to be represented by symbols, though as I've said I'm not big on institutionalized religion. I believe there is room to move there.

I need something to remind me every day of God. Previously I have worn a symbol of the Celtic Trinity around my neck, as this is about as close as I can find, and I have Celtic background. I am not sure about the crucifix - certainly I believe a person similar to Jesus existed, but I do not believe a crucifix to be a positive reminder of his existence.

Overall, I believe it is the trinity, but I am open to suggestions...

Thank you.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Though you have not given details of your experience specifically, you have shared enough to convince me that your experience was indeed miraculous. What I know about miracles is that they are natural expressions of God performed through us. The only thing required of us to be the recipients or deliverers of miracles is faith. The stronger our faith is the more likely we are to witness miracles.
It is my understanding that miracles are performed in an infinite number of ways. There are also an infinite number of ways by which we define our faith. I agree that God would not want to be represented by a symbol for no one symbol, not even all of them combined could possibly represent God. The word God itself (or any other word or phrase used to describe what I call "the Source of all that is, seen and unseen") cannot acurately define God, and this includes my own wordy interpretation. Yet all symbols, words and phrases are part of God.
What I believe you have done ibfragalot, is proven that faith works. You are asking what the true symbol of faith is, which is a question that no one can answer for you based upon what you believe. You believe that God does not want to be represented by a symbol, so isn't obvious that the search for the true symbol of God is a little silly?
You don't need to define your faith my friend, for you already know it works even though you have not defined it!!

ibfragalot

Nothing - thankyou sincerely. You have confirmed my thoughts. And I'm glad, to read your post makes me feel that I'm not the only one who feels the same :)