• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new idea on religion

eclectic23

eclectic23
im on a mission, its called common sence. maybe someone can help me because religion doesnt seem to fit into this concept. i look for answers everywhere. science, different religions, history ,and the opinion of others. im very open minded and believe to a certain extent that there are some truths among the ignorance. does anyone have a different opinion about religion that is somewhat outside of the box?

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

Welcome to RF. I hope you like it here.

What's common sense? Or, more specifically, what do you consider to be 'common sense'?
Religion isn't here to deal with common sense. After all, that's common, right?

GhK.

eclectic23

eclectic23
dont get me wrong, im not here to offend anyones religion. im just looking for information behing all the fire and brimstone. i would like to be able to deside for myself what im being told, and not scared into believing. when i say common sence, i mean i would like to hear something that actually could have happened. not the fairytale version. i think thats the hardest part of religion to swallow. i started to read the bible when i was a kid. i got as far as Noahs children (300+ years in age) and i put it right down. i just want the core of what im being told.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
dont get me wrong, im not here to offend anyones religion. im just looking for information behing all the fire and brimstone. i would like to be able to deside for myself what im being told, and not scared into believing. when i say common sence, i mean i would like to hear something that actually could have happened. not the fairytale version. i think thats the hardest part of religion to swallow. i started to read the bible when i was a kid. i got as far as Noahs children (300+ years in age) and i put it right down. i just want the core of what im being told.
That's too wide a topic to be covered in one gasp (or perhaps not). Welcome to the forums, though.

DavyCrocket2003

eclectic said:
I just want the core of what I'm being told.
Well, Jesus summed it up like this:
Love the Lord thy God with all thy might and with all thy mind and with all thy soul, this is the great commandment. And the second is like unto it: Love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two hang all the law and the prophets.

So love God and love others. If you don't believe in God, I imagine you could still kind of pull it off. You could love the ideas that God represents: perfect love, wisdom, patience etc. If you "love God", you want to be like him. You want to obey him. You do everything in your power to bring forth his purposes. You can do all this without technically believing in him.

Bloomdido

Tell God to get off his cloud and give us some guidance. What do we have to run with? A 2000 year old book that contradicts itself and consists mainly of a pile of xenophobic, violent and sexually deviant rubbish. There is no way that god wrote that. Couldn't he set up his own web site? He is omnipotent. The possibilites are endless. I think he got bored with us and wandered off somewhere. Perhaps he has ADHD.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Tell God to get off his cloud and give us some guidance. What do we have to run with? A 2000 year old book that contradicts itself and consists mainly of a pile of xenophobic, violent and sexually deviant rubbish. There is no way that god wrote that. Couldn't he set up his own web site? He is omnipotent. The possibilites are endless. I think he got bored with us and wandered off somewhere. Perhaps he has ADHD.
Because, of course, the Bible encompasses all religion. :sarcastic

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What in your opinion would be considered a good common sense possibility? Why don't you start there and see whose beliefs match up most closely to what seems reasonable to you. Believe me, here on RF, you've got a LOT of different belief systems to consider. BTW, welcome!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Right. And you'd definitely believe it was His website, wouldn't you? If He came to give you some guidance, do you actually think you'd recognize Him?

AlsoAnima

Friend
There is no such thing as new ideas. Every idea that you will ever come up with has been thought by someone else. Ideas can only be new to a certain person who has not encountered them before.

AlsoAnima

Friend
I wonder if there's such a thing as an anti-frubal?

DadBurnett

Instigator
There is no such thing as new ideas. Every idea that you will ever come up with has been thought by someone else. Ideas can only be new to a certain person who has not encountered them before.
I wonder, did someone in the time of Moses ponder thre splitting of the atom, did someone in the time of Jesus think about the possibility of a hydrogen powered car?
Is quantum physics ancient knowledge? Who thought the thoughts of Einstein before Einstein?
I do believe in the "new to you" concept, but cannot buy into the thought that every thought that you and I may have has been thought of before ... certainly, the preponderance of our thoughts are not original, however I cannot conceive of there being no new original thoughts .... if that were the case, we would still be back in the stone age ...

AlsoAnima

Friend
I wonder, did someone in the time of Moses ponder thre splitting of the atom, did someone in the time of Jesus think about the possibility of a hydrogen powered car?
Is quantum physics ancient knowledge? Who thought the thoughts of Einstein before Einstein?
I do believe in the "new to you" concept, but cannot buy into the thought that every thought that you and I may have has been thought of before ... certainly, the preponderance of our thoughts are not original, however I cannot conceive of there being no new original thoughts .... if that were the case, we would still be back in the stone age ...
Let me rephrase. During the rise of the information age, we learned all that could be learned. Since we are now nearing the end of that age we are also nearing the end of everything we can know about the universe, imagination, and creativity.

DadBurnett

Instigator
Let me rephrase. During the rise of the information age, we learned all that could be learned. Since we are now nearing the end of that age we are also nearing the end of everything we can know about the universe, imagination, and creativity.
I have no sense whatever of us nearing the end of everything we can know ... any quantifiable look back reveals that knowledge, imagination and creativity are rapidly increasing with no slowdown, let alone and end, in sight.
I realize that there are some that believe that the "end is near," and I alson know that every generation has had such believers and thousands of years have passed ...

Founder

I have come to the conclusion it is necessary to accept that religion is a basic human function and has value in society. Religion can direct people to both positive and negative deeds. A properly formed religion based on scientific and historical evidence can help provide the moral basis for personal and societal decision making. thelifereligion.org