• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new law from Mike Godwin (yes, that Godwin)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Posted to Twitter by Mike Godwin last month:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/1504687870006620163

Since reading this, I've been paying more attention to people who use "woke" as an insult and I've gotta say that it seems like he's right.

I don't recall where or when I first heard the term "woke" used in this context. It's been within the past 5 or 10 years, although I thought it was created by the younger crowd. It's been even more recently that I learned that it was a pejorative. I thought those who were "woke" were using it to apply to themselves and conservatives just picked up on it.

Is this guy saying that conservatives invented the term?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Being awake is clearly pejorative to some. Caring about one's fellows and about the environment is clearly "woke". Caring about facts is clearly "woke" - just ask Trump and pootin.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And here I thought "woke" meant awareness of disadvantages and being a dick about it.
Or in the case of females, being a **** about it.
"Godwin's Law" might be re-written as...
A one hit wonder who had a pithy meme,
but then demonstrated that was all he had.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've seen it used as a pejorative by conservatives and "centrists" far more than I've seen anyone seriously use it as a self-identifying label.
I've seen it used by liberals (blacks), not just conservatives.
Although the latter have embraced mocking it with a vengeance.
Deservedly so, I say.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen it used by liberals, not just conservatives.
Although the latter have embraced mocking it with
a vengeance. Deservedly so, I say.

Calling people "woke" as a pejorative for, say, supporting same-sex marriage, opposing abortion bans, or suggesting police reform reveals a fundamentally prejudiced perspective more than it says anything about the allegedly "woke" groups.

The Evangelical and theocratic bent that has proliferated in American conservatism in the last few decades doesn't exactly give a promising picture of many "anti-woke" conservatives' priorities.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Calling people "woke" as a pejorative for, say, supporting same-sex marriage, opposing abortion bans, or suggesting police reform reveals a fundamentally prejudiced perspective more than it says anything about the allegedly "woke" groups.
That would be a mis-use of "woke" IMO, ie,
mocking something other than the original
or current (evolving) meaning.
Urban Dictionary: Woke

Note...
If "woke" is to be pro-abortion rights, pro gay
marriage, & pro police reform, then "woke" I am.
Do woke folk really want me in their midst? Nah.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's just an unimaginative insult.
The bar is much higher for "astute".
But liberals are easily satisfied when the other side is dissed.

Yeah, I can imagine how them conservatives are going to be all upset at being called ****heads.
Not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, he's saying that ****heads were the ones who decided it's an insult.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. But there's all kinds of terms which get floated about to describe basically the same thing. It seems to vary by generation though.

Back in the day, "bleeding heart liberal" was what "woke" was. When conservatives said it, they said it scornfully, but a lot of liberals took it on as a badge of honor.