• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A possible visit to India next year

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I am from India living in USA. Usually I live with my family when I visit India, but last time, I stayed in a hotel. It was an 'Indian middle-class' hotel, meaning by all means, it is upto a middle-class standard for an 'Indian' who is used to the atmosphere there.. there was A/C, cleaners cleaned the room each day, there was running water, water heater was there for hot water, TV with many Indian channels, and the room accomodated 2 people - I spent $120 for a week. (Around Rs. 6000 for one week). It is only the climate, the surrounding atmosphere (the hotel was in a conjusted nevertheless decent area), the flooring (tiles as opposed to wood), the noise level, and lack of bathtub in the room, lack of WIFI that makes it 'not American standard' but to me, the room was decent and I liked it. So I spent around $250 for 2 weeks stay there, and my stay in India involved Tourism with my family for which I spent, so in all, my family (of 4) flight tickets, tourist expenses, hotel expenses were around $6000 for a 1 month stay in which 2 weeks I lived/ate at my mom's.

Kalidas

I am from India living in USA. Usually I live with my family when I visit India, but last time, I stayed in a hotel. It was an 'Indian middle-class' hotel, meaning by all means, it is upto a middle-class standard for an 'Indian' who is used to the atmosphere there.. there was A/C, cleaners cleaned the room each day, there was running water, water heater was there for hot water, TV with many Indian channels, and the room accomodated 2 people - I spent $120 for a week. (Around Rs. 6000 for one week). It is only the climate, the surrounding atmosphere (the hotel was in a conjusted nevertheless decent area), the flooring (tiles as opposed to wood), the noise level, and lack of bathtub in the room, lack of WIFI that makes it 'not American standard' but to me, the room was decent and I liked it. So I spent around $250 for 2 weeks stay there, and my stay in India involved Tourism with my family for which I spent, so in all, my family (of 4) flight tickets, tourist expenses, hotel expenses were around $6000 for a 1 month stay in which 2 weeks I lived/ate at my mom's.

So 1000$ shouldn't be a problem then?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
For the room I stayed in, $500 would suffice a month's stay. For eating, that would be separate cost.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So 1000$ shouldn't be a problem then?

I would still err on the side of caution, and really advise you to read or ask questions on Indiamike. People who were born in India like Viraja are just more used to it. It can be a real harsh culture shock. I'll post a video for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQuohfBn1k It can be harsh, beautiful, appalling, appealing, quiet, noisy, etc. all at the same time.

Last edited:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
The Marriott hotels are there in Chennai. Maybe they will be there in Chandigarh too to ask around before going there and possibly arrange for a room!

Kalidas

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Yes, you have to get used to it, but one of my second homes is Kolkata, and you learn to skip in and through traffic which is an adventurous art in itself. How old are you? Never let fear turn an adventure away. Just don't drink the local water.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Namaste

Yes, you have to get used to it, but one of my second homes is Kolkata, and you learn to skip in and through traffic which is an adventurous art in itself. How old are you? Never let fear turn an adventure away. Just don't drink the local water.

Om Namah Sivaya

And that water is often added last minute to cooked food. Be careful ... very careful. :)

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

I noticed something about hotels and $1000 dollars for boarding for one month, all I have to say to that is it could be an "if'y" situation.

I've stayed in hotels in India (and Nepal.. and ...) that have ranged from bugs crawling north to south and south to north in straight lines on the wall behind where the bed board leans and one bulb hanging from a wire from the roof (no lamp shade) and bathroom flooded, stinking and with some black grease on everything, to $300 dollar a night rooms and it really comes down to WHERE you are sleeping that night and WHAT is available depending are where you are going.

Once me and a friend had to stay in a little airlines office where the hotel we wanted to stay in (this was Delhi) was full after we got into town late, they rolled little cots into the booking room of some Africa on the fly airline booking agency, not kidding.

Bring a "money belt". I am an expert on carrying cash strapped with rubber bands here and there, ps your passport is your life. If you can, pack "bug juice" in your luggage.

Belleve it or not, but don't assume that just because there are a gajillion hotels that there will be rooms available, sometimes no way. I once stayed in a room, the only one available, where in the morning I found out from a rickshaw that it was the same room that Gandhi's assassin stayed in, so that's why it was luckily available.

I have the advantage of relatives in India to stay with, but depends on where you are going so if you really want to take advantage of being in India you will be where there are no relatives. You know, there are some "not that bad" religious tours you can book in those little tourist agencies in India. They can be nice if you want to be with others who come from other areas of India and are also not familiar with the area and of course there will be some Westerners, too. Some of the most amazing conversations and meeting of others happens on those long bus drives at night back to the "city".

Yes, as some say, first time might be a culture shock, so first time make it an adventure with another like minded friend or relative.

You are going to get sick. Bring diarrhea meds so you can take that before getting on a bus, or taxi or whatever. You will lose weight. As for 1000 dollars, yes things are cheap but not as cheap as they used to be. Actually, depending on where you are going, it can be expensive. You are going to want to buy some things, too.

I noted the water, not common but sometimes a water bottle sold was originally empty and refilled with tap water.

Watch out for those little refrigerators in some expensive hotels. You put an uncovered paper plate with rice, subgee and chapatti, then some of that water in the walling of the fridge or top ice box drips in the food and the next thing you know is an entire day is wasted while you moan in bed and have hallucinations.

Yes, I am telling the worse case examples, no doubt some Indians now hate me. Yes, it isn't like it sounds. You can do it. You will go back again. Bring more money than you think.

Om Namah Sivaya

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Good advice, Shivafan. I think the people who are disappointed the most are the ones that go in naive. But if you go prepared, it can well be just a totally amazing time. I smiled a ton, I'm sure.

preeti22

Wow that will be so cool.
Also don;t forget to visit Mumbai.
its the heart of India.
You will be able to see all the places in Mumbai.
Mumbai is a city which never sleeps. So you will be excited to visit here .
There are many tourist attractions and also some nice hilly places for touring and stuff.
You should visit Mumbai in the monsoons only. The romantic aroma spreads in Mumbai only in the monsoons.,
Mumbai is also famous for its monsoons over here.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Wow. Lemaster, when you're actually ready to go to India, each state has a travel or tourist department. So search on Rajasthan tourism, Tamil Nadu tourism, Karnataka tourism, Bengal tourism etc. and decide. Don't be swayed by ethnocentric individuals.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Wow. Lemaster, when you're actually ready to go to India, each state has a travel or tourist department. So search on Rajasthan tourism, Tamil Nadu tourism, Karnataka tourism, Bengal tourism etc. and decide. Don't be swayed by ethnocentric individuals.

Namaste,

Hey, hey, now!

M.V.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3422549 said:
Namaste,

Hey, hey, now!

M.V.

Just sayin ... we have provincial pride here too, and I'm sure the US has state pride, but it is kind of all in jest. Like here in Alberta, when we cross the border into Saskatchewan to visit relatives we joke about how the roads just got worse. In fact, there is one border city where they joke about the side of the road that is worse, because Main Street goes right down the border.

Same joking happened to me in India when we crossed from TN into KA. The driver said, "We're home now. The roads got worse."

There are those of us who joke around, and then there ore those who see it as no joke at all, but get practically up in arms over it. So over here where we're all mixed (I mean from India) , it has real meaning to some people when you ask, "Oh, what state are you from?" Others are just happy to state they are from India. :)

I'm happy to state I'm Canadian, heavily leaning towards being Indian.