• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for fans of the god myth.

Bishka

Veteran Member
LogDog said:
How do you feel your life on earth has been made more complete through your religious belief?

I know where I have came from, I know what I am doing here on earth, and I know what comes in the hereafter. It brings me peace to know that I am a divine daughter of my Father in Heaven.

It completes my life.

I know what my purpose on earth is and i know what i'm allowed to do and what I'm prohibited from doing. I have a solid moral system, where i don't make up my own system of whats right and wrong but i have it from the creator. I have a sense of cleanliness and modesty. I know my obligations to those less fortunate then me in both knowledge and wealth. I know what happens to my soul after it leaves my body and the questions it'll be asked, I also know the torments of the disbeliever and the tempoary punishment for the sinning believer. I know what awaits the believers in paradise.

In short there isn't an aspect in my life that isn't governed by religion, I mean EVERY aspect of my life is inspired by religion

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
LogDog said:
A question for fans of the god myth.
Can we institute a new "award" for most persistent evangelical atheist?

You would have some stiff competition LogDog, but you would be right in the running.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
What's the point in answering? If we answer from one viewpoint, we would be told that we deserve to be critisized for our beliefs. If we answer from another, we'll be told that our view is in no way indicative of the way most mainstream theists believe and will also then be derided for having those beliefs.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
LogDog said:
How do you feel your life on earth has been made more complete through your religious belief?
Well I don't have "religious" beliefs per se, so I would suppose that precludes me from answering your question. I tossed aside "god concepts" in favor of direct "spiritual" experiences, although "adventures in consciousness" might be a better descriptor. Quite frankly, there is much more behind the "I" than most people allow themselves to perceive.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
lilithu said:
Can we institute a new "award" for most persistent evangelical atheist?

You would have some stiff competition LogDog, but you would be right in the running.

That would be a bad idea hun....it would only encourage them. Do we really want that? =)
Maybe we could install a bug zapper instead :)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
LogDog said:
Statements such as this represent the epitome of religious arrogance.

God is referred to as the Absolute Truth. It is a belief shared by many. It doesn't mean that we are arrogant. You think that God is a myth. Would that mean that you have displayed anti-religious arrogance? :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
LogDog said:

Just my knowing that I am a part of a giant "Plan" - not just a single little speck that will be extinguished at my death.

On the negative side, slightly aware of being mildly annoyed at descriptions of my beliefs as "Fans of the God Myth":p

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
michel said:
On the negative side, slightly aware of being mildly annoyed at descriptions of my beliefs as "Fans of the God Myth":p
Well, you don't have to be negative about it. :p :D

Being a fan of the God myth myself, I find it hard to take offense at his remark.

LogDog said:
Myth has opened a door to a more complete understanding of reality.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Hema said:
God is referred to as the Absolute Truth. It is a belief shared by many. It doesn't mean that we are arrogant. You think that God is a myth. Would that mean that you have displayed anti-religious arrogance? :D
Frubals for a most excellent observation. I have nothing to add.:jiggy:

ayani

every Tuesday, my Lord stops by with a jug of cider and some fresh chocolate muffins. :yes: then we chill, smoke clovies, and read Michael Chabon.

ok, in all seriousness. my faith brings me a great relief, a hope, and puts me back on track with myself, others, and God. it is a hammer to pound out the kinks and rough spots within, a bright guiding lamp, and a well of study and potential understanding day-to-day. my life *is* completed in my faith. and i am grateful for this, may i continue to work for Him and serve Him.

Feathers in Hair said:
What's the point in answering? If we answer from one viewpoint, we would be told that we deserve to be critisized for our beliefs. If we answer from another, we'll be told that our view is in no way indicative of the way most mainstream theists believe and will also then be derided for having those beliefs.

but how do you answer a question about your religon withought it being opinion to one person or another??

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Willamena said:
Well, you don't have to be negative about it. :p :D

My first thought was "Anyone who answers this question is admitting that God is a Myth".................But then I thought "No member of this Forum would be so disengenuous"...I would have hoped.......